Mario Cristobal offers no discernable advantage

Advertisement
How does his job performance compare to Manny’s and how does it compare to anyone we’d have a reasonable chance of getting over that same 2 year time period?

Are you joking with the comparison question?

I don’t have a horse in this race, but Mario has done more at a large program than Manny, al, or randy. He’s recruiting better than we do and winning more than we do. Yes, the PAC is weak, but weaker than the coastal? Obviously not.
I also don’t, which is why I’m looking for answers and am seeing moving goal posts to make sure the Mario kick is good….

I mean where hearing “ playoffs, we’re talking playoffs” just win the coastal - when that was said with manny it was torn to shreds…. “The standards have dropped so much”

I know a majority of this board has an unhealthy obsession with bringing alumni home to save the program, but Mario is not what we need. He offers no tangible advantage for this program.

I hear everybody say, he'll fix the OL like he's the only person in the country that can recruit good o-linemen. The truth is, people say that about him because that's all he truly brings to the table. He has no system that

Fans will also talk about his recruiting. It's true; he's killing it right now, but we've seen time and time again that you need more than good players to win games. We've seen watched Miami for over a decade continually lose to lesser talented teams because of coaching ineptitude. Talent only gets you so far. L to Stanford this year, L's to Oregon State and Cal last year. Also, lets face it, he's taking advantage of an extremely down conference right now--USC, UCLA and Washington are all shells of themselves and he's feasting on the west coast. That wouldn't happen recruiting the southeast. He'd have to go up against Bama, UGA, Clemson, Ohio State etc. for recruits.

How about discipline? A hard-nosed guy like Mario must have a disciplined team. Nope. Oregon's currently sitting at 114th in the country in penalty yards per game--exactly one spot in front of your Miami Hurricanes.

How about offense? Mario has to have great offenses, right? Him being an offensive guy and all. 32nd ranked offense in the nation. For reference Miami is ranked 28th. His offense isn't bad, but it's consistently been underwhelming. The narrative regarding Justin Herbert and his time at Oregon was that the offense failed him. He was used incorrectly and it failed to showcase his talents. Mario has no offensive system so he'd need to make the correct hire there. We'd also have to hope he doesn't hamstring that OC either by playing a conservative style of football.

Mario would need the perfect OC and DC hires to succeed because he offers no schematic advantage on either side of the ball. He's your classic CEO type head coach. Think about all the top coaches in the country right now. All of them have a calling card on one side of the ball or the other. Saban on D, Kirby on D, Day on offense, Riley on offense, Gundy on offense etc. I could go on and on. Mario is not guru on either side of the ball which means he'd need big money coordinators to succeed here, and that scares me. That's why I'm all in on guys like Lane Kiffin or Hugh Freeze. At least you know with them one side of the ball will be taken care of.
Clearly you font know the respect he has amongst sofla hs coaches.

Advertisement
We don’t need another guy with a system. The problem with system guys is they won’t let go of their system. They’ll ignore personnel and just keep insisting on running their system. If you don’t have one you can fire you’re OC/DC when they don’t get the job done. Our coaches mostly fire the coordinator but insist the next guy run the same system. So I’d say that’s actually a plus for Mario.
That's not a problem if the guy's system is good. Nobody is complaining about Lincoln Riley's system or Ryan Day's system. Our problem was we had guys with systems that were all smoke n mirrors like Golden and Diaz.

Yes, but I think the 4-10 are all pretty much the same. I think they have one of the better rosters out of 4-10 but it’s a toss up. They aren’t Bama, Georgia
Same **** every year with college football outside the top 5. No perfect candidate is available or would sign with us. Which makes it all that more important to do due diligence on a number of candidates and let the AD help whoever we hire to help make their weakness a strength.

Advertisement
Stanford sucks.

Isn’t the number one complaint here losing to or being in nail biters against far inferior teams?
Same **** every year with college football outside the top 5. No perfect candidate is available or would sign with us. Which makes it all that more important to do due diligence on a number of candidates and let the AD help whoever we hire to help make their weakness a strength.
This, do due diligence and don’t come out hiring Temples coach

I also don’t, which is why I’m looking for answers and am seeing moving goal posts to make sure the Mario kick is good….

I mean where hearing “ playoffs, we’re talking playoffs” just win the coastal - when that was said with manny it was torn to shreds…. “The standards have dropped so much”
To me it’s a stepwise process. The goal for now should absolutely be to win the coastal. Anybody who thinks that’s soft doesn’t see wtf their standing. Win the coastal, then win the acc, then we can talk about NCs.

Yea Mario is a recruiter but my question with him is the same as @Liberty City El .....will he be able to recruit here vs bama OSU and Clemson? It's easier at OU than here at UM
Yes, because USC is down. He has to hold his own in South Florida. We seem to overlook that we've let go a ton of kids who wanted to come to Miami but starred at programs not named Alabama, Georgia, Clemson or Ohio State.

Advertisement
That's not a problem if the guy's system is good. Nobody is complaining about Lincoln Riley's system or Ryan Day's system. Our problem was we had guys with systems that were all smoke n mirrors like Golden and Diaz.
I disagree. Their systems can both work with the right players. We saw that with manny in 2017 (yes there was a lot of luck that year, but you could see those guys f**king up what the opposing team wanted to do). That pressure upfront allowed the guys on the backend to make plays instead of getting shredded by a QB with too much time to throw. And al’s system was stupid because we couldn’t recruit the guys for it. Had we been able to…ok, it probably still wouldn’t have been very good, but it could have been ok. Same for Richt. If we’d had a physically dominant OL he would have been fine.

The problem is not being able to adjust your system to the guys you actually have.

One other thing to consider:

How many "coming home" stories work out. See Harbaugh at Michigan. See Frost at Nebraska. See Richt at the U. The major difference with all of these is that Richt resigned on reasonable terms for the U. Look at the struggles that Michigan and Nebraska have had in trying to decide if they need to fire Harbaugh and Frost, respectively. Look at David Shaw at Stanford. All of those schools have struggled with how much rope do you give "your guy." Kingsbury at Texas Tech.

Maybe UGA holds on and wins it all this year. Maybe Smart becomes the first to have true success at their alma mater in a long time. But, look at the list of coaches going back to their alma maters that do not work out. The odds are not in Mario's favor. https://www.si.com/college/2019/04/19/alumni-head-coaches-jim-harbaugh-pat-fitzgerald

I love the Mario hire (if he would come), but that is a lot of pressure to be putting on a new A.D., especially if the new A.D. is given Mario without input in the process.

Advertisement
Yes, because USC is down. He has to hold his own in South Florida. We seem to overlook that we've let go a ton of kids who wanted to come to Miami but starred at programs not named Alabama, Georgia, Clemson or Ohio State.
Most of the elite (when evaluated properly) go to those other schools not Miami and that's been the problem

This program needs a shock. If it is Mario fine. I personally think Lane Kiffin is the shock that puts us back on the map overnight. But I will welcome Mario with open arms.

Honestly, I don't think we can go wrong with either of these guys. Mario is a safer option that would kill it in recruiting...Lane would make us an overnight spectacle that kids would also love to be a part of.

You can sell both of these paths easily to recruits.

Advertisement
Back