Mario and Mirabal’s Offensive Mentality

Advertisement
Completely disagree that "we don't have to play a TE". I think that would be a horrible Idea for TEU to not play with a ******* TE lol.
We went 10 personel quite a bit, especially towards the very beginning and end of the year. But if you're not going to be able to pass out of 10 personnel, then what use is it? That's why when TVD crumbled and we had to play a true freshman against our two best opponents - Clemson and FSU - that wasn't an option. And keep in mind the actual results in those games. We beat Clemson. And had a good shot at beating undefeated FSU until Emory broke his arm.

Or maybe yall are just confused thinking we were running so much condensed formations and running the ball 60% of the time against GTech, UNC, and the like with TVD lol?

It's so incredibly simple - TVD died and killed our offense last season - and it was still a pretty good offense. This year we are going to magically be far better and people will start saying Mario stopped meddling... well until we lose a game or the offense falters a bit, then he'll just pop out of nowhere to interfere, right? lol

I don’t know. I’d rather be 10+ Win Seasons U, than “TEU.”

Playing TEs hurt the offense last year. It’s impossible to argue otherwise.

People here still trying to use Michigan as an example for our offense. They DIDN’T HAVE A GOOD OFFENSE. I’m tired of “well Michigan ran it more than us” and “Michigan used pro style” bro, they were a very average to below average offensive team. They were #1 in the nation in defense and #1 in the nation with a ridiculous +19 turnover margin. We should be tailoring our defense to be like theirs. Not our offense. I understand a lot of people don’t watch games outside of the national championship game but please, think about watching more regular season games (not just Miami’s) if you’re going to insist on making points.

I dont think they were average to below average.

When they spread teams out and went RPO, they offense was pretty good.

And it could bully a lot of teams beneath it in talent.

It’s when it played teams with 4* guys on defense, that that “stack the box and run it” bull**** didn’t work, and they needed the defense to bail them out.

I dont think they were average to below average.

When they spread teams out and went RPO, they offense was pretty good.

And it could bully a lot of teams beneath it in talent.

It’s when it played teams with 4* guys on defense, that that “stack the box and run it” bull**** didn’t work, and they needed the defense to bail them out.
They had above average talent but they were statistically mediocre. Especially against more talented defenses.

Advertisement
What the " Running the ball is essential" " be patient" " championship teams run the ball" haters of "fyzical- BroStyle" comments crowd fail to realize that its not about the pass-run ratio, wanting to throwing the ball 97 times a game, or lack of understanding of the necessity of a balanced attack.

Its about when we decide to run, what we decide to run, and what are we doing to make opponents pay off keying on our runs that make people make the " fyzical-brostyle" comments.

When you throw 40 times a game and run it 10 but the 10 runs come while being down 2 scores in the 4th with 6 minutes to go and refusing to move with any pace, use any playaction, and just run a 21 dive while bleeding the clock out WHEN WE NEED TO SCORE some **** points, its hard for people not to talk about Mario being a stubborn meathead.
It's even harder to forget we threw the ball 40 times because in the most pressing moments, we decide to waste possessions running into loaded boxes like the game isn't on the line.

Sometimes, i wonder if yall are watching the same games with the excuses being made on here. Idgaf, who's at QB or how they're playing. Coaches can and have done better with less. Our coaches didn't, and they deserve all of the corny nicknames and labels until they show better.

Good conversations being had in this thread.

There was plenty of creativeness and passing in the offense until Van Dyke went into the tank and gifted teams a couple of wins. I guess people want to keep putting QBs in harms way even if he's costing us games
Dawg in the stretch he was throwing picks we still dropped back to pass hella times lol this narrative that the playbook closed up is hilarious

When it was wide open vs a&m until the slump it was mostly the same concepts. Its ok to say tvd stinks and a better qb like cam will be better but the offense is still just regular because dawson is just a regular offensive mind just like he was at Houston

... and it 100% didn't matter when compared to the Qb issue last year lol.

That’s not the point.
The thread is about Mario and his mentality.

It might be true that playing no TE and stretching the field with 4 wide, wouldn’t have mattered enough due to the poor QB play.

But it’s 100% true that the TE position group was horrible, and should not have been on the field. If the offense was great last year, it would have been great despite the TE position.

Yet, Mario threw them out there. ****, several ones at a time. Sometimes be brought in a backup OL just so he could get even more TEs on the field at the same time.

You only play one of our TEs, let alone multiple of them at once, if you’re starting from a certain mentality.

Advertisement
Coach Napoleon?
Looney Tunes Animation GIF

I respect you as well. I respect MOST on here. I agree when it comes to game day coaching he's got a lot of room for improvement. My point was good or bad do some research and establish value in what we critique. Most would consider say usc a wide open offense. I'd be willing to bet when it relates to how many passing ATTEMPTS we made it was probably very comparable. In that same note I'd say more than likely we ran the ball more often than them but not how people make it seem like all we do is run. I'd say it's a relatively even split between run and pass. That's just my guess from eyeing it but I'd bet it's pretty accurate. My issue is simply the first 4 games when dcs weren't making adjustments to us we were killing it statistically. That game on defenses made adjustments but except the game against tech we still ran essentially the same exact variety of things we ran previously. So why not say from day 1 even with results this isn't what we should be doing and Mario is killing our offense? The only difference came down to execution. When players don't execute you know what ANY COACH WILL DO? He'll make adjustments. Play calling, personnel & schematically. That's not a Mario thing. That's a coaching thing. And while his results certainly aren't where we all want them to be, people were told day #1 this **** needs to be burnt down and built back up with the right foundation. People simply didn't want to hear it while he's screaming from the mountain tops the u has to get back to work. What did people think that meant? Anyone looking at this with an open mind can see clear as day that year #1 and year #2 we had a monumental improvement. It doesn't just come down to winning a couple more games. We're growing up and we're doing it right. People can either understand as a team you either learn how to win together or you fall apart. We're learning how to win & this process were seeing now is necessary

listening nod GIF by HUANG'S WORLD

Dawg in the stretch he was throwing picks we still dropped back to pass hella times lol this narrative that the playbook closed up is hilarious

When it was wide open vs a&m until the slump it was mostly the same concepts. Its ok to say tvd stinks and a better qb like cam will be better but the offense is still just regular because dawson is just a regular offensive mind just like he was at Houston

A&M played a lot of man. DCs realized that was a dumb idea and decided to test how he could handle zone. He struggled.

The offense didn't change so drastically. Our QB just couldn't adjust to the zone concepts and pull the trigger. Our coaches didnt do much to adjust to these struggles.

I hate to see " If we got the TvD we got in the A&M game". When it should be " i wish every defense was dumb enough to play Man all game"

A&M played a lot of man. DCs realized that was a dumb idea and decided to test how he could handle zone. He struggled.

The offense didn't change so drastically. Our QB just couldn't adjust to the zone concepts and pull the trigger. Our coaches didnt do much to adjust to these struggles.

I hate to see " If we got the TvD we got in the A&M game". When it should be " i wish every defense was dumb enough to play Man all game"
I agree but whats not getting said enough is that dawson himself couldn’t adjust to zone either

TVD has a slow clock, he progresses **** slow so he might even have the correct reads pre snap but he stays on what he initially sees or what he thinks will be open TOO long then he either just forces the throw even if the window is tight or he gets to the other progressions way too late

But what you saying is exactly what i been saying and agree with, most fans dont know **** beyond the surface so they dont know wtf or why the offense is working so when **** goes bad they just say oh **** has changed when no teams adjusted to our tendencies and we didn’t counter ON TOP OF having our qb physically and mentally cooked

Dawson will have Cam who is GREAT out of structure so alot can he covered up with him just making a play out of nothing but i pray he has a more layered offensive plan cause thats what can take us far.

Advertisement
The issue with Dawson isn't that he changed the offense (outside of completely watering it down for Emory) it's that when defenses stopped plan A, there was no plan B. When your quarterback is struggling against certain coverages, you have to work with the QB on ways to better handle them. You change play calls, you change protections, you alter the game plan. It's a coaches' job at the college level to do these things. I got tired of seeing the same max protect looks against 3 or 4 man pass rushes while the defense was using 8 guys to cover three. Van Dyke would sit there with no pressure but no receiver to throw to.

Advertisement
I agree but whats not getting said enough is that dawson himself couldn’t adjust to zone either

TVD has a slow clock, he progresses **** slow so he might even have the correct reads pre snap but he stays on what he initially sees or what he thinks will be open TOO long then he either just forces the throw even if the window is tight or he gets to the other progressions way too late

But what you saying is exactly what i been saying and agree with, most fans dont know **** beyond the surface so they dont know wtf or why the offense is working so when **** goes bad they just say oh **** has changed when no teams adjusted to our tendencies and we didn’t counter ON TOP OF having our qb physically and mentally cooked

Dawson will have Cam who is GREAT out of structure so alot can he covered up with him just making a play out of nothing but i pray he has a more layered offensive plan cause thats what can take us far.

Well said. Couldn't agree more 💯

What I’m trying
There was plenty of creativeness and passing in the offense until Van Dyke went into the tank and gifted teams a couple of wins. I guess people want to keep putting QBs in harms way even if he's costing us games
What I’ve been screaming from the mountain tops. If TVD doesn’t have a mental crisis we win 9-10. It is Mario’s fault for not bringing in a guy like Poff last year.

Well said. Couldn't agree more 💯
I do agree, but Dawson was adjusting in a reactive and defensive manner instead of proactive. The coaches just didn’t have faith in TVD anymore after he lost faith in himself.

They were coaching to not lose as opposed to continuing to expand the offense with possibly Emory sooner.

The issue with Dawson isn't that he changed the offense (outside of completely watering it down for Emory) it's that when defenses stopped plan A, there was no plan B. When your quarterback is struggling against certain coverages, you have to work with the QB on ways to better handle them. You change play calls, you change protections, you alter the game plan. It's a coaches' job at the college level to do these things. I got tired of seeing the same max protect looks against 3 or 4 man pass rushes while the defense was using 8 guys to cover three. Van Dyke would sit there with no pressure but no receiver to throw to.
There were plenty of times there were WRs open let’s go back and watch the film. Heck the announcers even point it out quite a few times. Dawson could have definitely tried to making some aggressive adjustments but TVD was mentally out of it at the point. They were coaching in hopes that if they minimized TOS their defense would give them a chance. And it was semi functional because we were in every game this year as opposed to the previous season. When your QB mentally retracts it affects your whole offense. The WRs start believing no matter what route they run the QB won’t get them the ball. Then your defense starts pressing because they feel like they have to make big plays to win games and start to become bitter because of situations they’ve been placed in.

Advertisement
Back