Marcus Lemonis Offers $1 Mil Pledge Toward Move To Trop Park

Advertisement
I know everyone always says that there's no way an on campus stadium is a possibility. Restrictions of the City of Coral Gables, lack of space on campus, cost, traffic, noise, ect. are some of the reasons always sited as why this would probably never get done, but I would like for those of you with a better understanding of the dynamics at play to tell me whether or not something like this can be done to maybe overcome some of the road blocks.

Is there enough space on campus at the site of Mark Light stadium to build a multi-use facility for both baseball and football?

View attachment 33905

If there is, why can't we build an enclosed (more on this later), 45,000 seat, football/baseball stadium there?

Traffic

* Can some of the traffic concerns be alleviated by busing in a portion of those attending the game from an off campus parking lot/garage combined with limited near stadium parking?

* Yes, we will be busing people in and congesting the roads more than usual. However, on the flip side, the students would no longer have to be bused 45 minutes to Sun Life (and then back again) so some of the gameday traffic on the streets of Coral Gables would cancel out.

* Busing people from off-campus might alleviate some of the concern that building a stadium in the heart of Coral Gables would bring more people and more crime to the city since those people attending the game would be less likely to linger afterwards since they would be reliant on the shuttle service to get back to their cars.

Reasons for an enclosed facility

* I hate domes (especially for college football) but I think building an enclosed facility (with the right materials) can ease some of the noise concerns the City of Coral Gables would have.

* An enclosed facility would eliminate the need for a separate fundraising campaign for a $20-$25m indoor practice facility, allowing UM to raise money for one project that would give them both.

Cost

*Cost can be offset by donations, ticket sales, the selling of luxury suits, parking fees and the selling of the stadium naming rights.

*Obviously, an on campus stadium would eliminate the need to buy a separate piece of land to build a stadium.

I'm fully prepared to be told that this is impossible and that an on-campus stadium is an absurd fantasy. I just want to get some some input from you guys as to why or why not something like this can or can't get done...d

I live 4 blocks away from the Light. Not even close to enough room for a football/baseball stadium. That stadium doesnt have enough room for 5k seats and we dont have enough room to build for a 40k stadium.

I'm in for 1K. if the school launched a campaign don't you think it could be done?

Absolutely. If the school were to announce a fundraising campaign for a closer stadium I believe they would get enough money. I'd also throw in 1k.

I think it would be done with relative ease. I think a lot of people doubt the former players. Those guys would donate a lot. Add the fans to the mix and the money will sky rocket. Less money on banners and more money to the stadium. If the school was really smart they would use that too. Call out the fans by saying less money on banners more to the stadium cause. Fixes two problems with one stone: no banners and one stadium.

We would kick in even more money IF it had a big screen we could put the FIRE _________ on. No planes that way.

Advertisement
How are people really reacting negatively to this? Do some of you do business with Stephen Ross or Stuart Miller?

I know everyone always says that there's no way an on campus stadium is a possibility. Restrictions of the City of Coral Gables, lack of space on campus, cost, traffic, noise, ect. are some of the reasons always sited as why this would probably never get done, but I would like for those of you with a better understanding of the dynamics at play to tell me whether or not something like this can be done to maybe overcome some of the road blocks.

Is there enough space on campus at the site of Mark Light stadium to build a multi-use facility for both baseball and football?

View attachment 33905

If there is, why can't we build an enclosed (more on this later), 45,000 seat, football/baseball stadium there?

Traffic

* Can some of the traffic concerns be alleviated by busing in a portion of those attending the game from an off campus parking lot/garage combined with limited near stadium parking?

* Yes, we will be busing people in and congesting the roads more than usual. However, on the flip side, the students would no longer have to be bused 45 minutes to Sun Life (and then back again) so some of the gameday traffic on the streets of Coral Gables would cancel out.

* Busing people from off-campus might alleviate some of the concern that building a stadium in the heart of Coral Gables would bring more people and more crime to the city since those people attending the game would be less likely to linger afterwards since they would be reliant on the shuttle service to get back to their cars.

Reasons for an enclosed facility

* I hate domes (especially for college football) but I think building an enclosed facility (with the right materials) can ease some of the noise concerns the City of Coral Gables would have.

* An enclosed facility would eliminate the need for a separate fundraising campaign for a $20-$25m indoor practice facility, allowing UM to raise money for one project that would give them both.

Cost

*Cost can be offset by donations, ticket sales, the selling of luxury suits, parking fees and the selling of the stadium naming rights.

*Obviously, an on campus stadium would eliminate the need to buy a separate piece of land to build a stadium.

I'm fully prepared to be told that this is impossible and that an on-campus stadium is an absurd fantasy. I just want to get some some input from you guys as to why or why not something like this can or can't get done...d

Have you ever set foot on the Miami campus? This post makes me seriously doubt you ever have. The only space is the field next to Mahoney Pearson and there is not enough room for a football stadium there.

60ish million buyout of our lease at Sunlife....I think we'll fix stadium situation, but it's not going to be seriously looked for another 5-10 years.

Might need to wait till the next generation on the board of trustees. Or, for Stephen Ross to sell the Phins.

I wonder how long it'll take for this patchwork "re-design" of SunLife will take to fall apart and fail to net the results they intended? Timing is a m'f'er. So is corruption. The OB site was the place to re-build a modern football stadium for Miami. What a site, and sight, that would have been.

Advertisement
How are people really reacting negatively to this? Do some of you do business with Stephen Ross or Stuart Miller?

No, they're Broward people who only think of themselves rather what is best for the program.

I like the idea of a smaller stadium that we could fill and have more of a home field advantage. I like tropical park, used to run there all the time. Not sure its really gonna happen though.

Advertisement
60ish million buyout of our lease at Sunlife....I think we'll fix stadium situation, but it's not going to be seriously looked for another 5-10 years.

Might need to wait till the next generation on the board of trustees. Or, for Stephen Ross to sell the Phins.

I wonder how long it'll take for this patchwork "re-design" of SunLife will take to fall apart and fail to net the results they intended? Timing is a m'f'er. So is corruption. The OB site was the place to re-build a modern football stadium for Miami. What a site, and sight, that would have been.

Question--> Isn't the OB site the location where Beckham wants to build his new soccer stadium? Assuming Beckham's stadium deal fizzles out, like some are reporting, why are some so eager in building a stadium at Tropical Park as opposed to the old OB site?

What happened to Alonzo Highsmith's campaign not long ago to raise money for Miami's facilities? Tie that in with this and see how far it goes. The least the school could do is start a gofundme or something, some sort of campaign to get a realistic number of donations that would be put towards this. I could easily see as much as $10 million in a short period of time.

Then, they just have to go from there. **** they could put that money towards Beckham on the same location where he is having issues with Miami and locking up that site. I'm sure his group would fund a large portion, then $10-$20 million may be enough to get us in there and be a part of that. I'd like to have our own stadium, but this opportunity would be too good to pass up

Advertisement
All the Canes fans I know that actually go to the games, do not want to be driving over to tropical park. Anyway, it is easy to pledge money to a project that never will happen.

I'm in for 1K. if the school launched a campaign don't you think it could be done?

Absolutely. If the school were to announce a fundraising campaign for a closer stadium I believe they would get enough money. I'd also throw in 1k.

100%

It would be done in less than a year

Unfortunately, the school has been neutered by our previous **** of a president, so that will never happen

What are the reasons to get a stadium in or around Coral Gables?

Serious question. Why do people think there needs to be a stadium on campus? Cant be for the students, only a few thousand even attend the games.

Advertisement
Back