MARCH MADNESS TOURNAMENT SELECTION

Advertisement
Miami is getting soo much love by everyone on ESPN...all 4 predicted Miami to beat USC and also said they could be a problem for Auburn...

Yesssssssss
Not a superstitious man, but feeling jinxed. I'd rather Miami come in with no expectations and THEN go on a run. It's tougher when people expect you to steal games.

Geeeeze, that’s brutal.
If Miami can get out of the 1st round, they stand a fighting chance against South Carolina. Miami has played a lot of good teams tough and beaten some of them. They beat Louisville(should have beaten them 2x), played NC State tough twice, beat ND. This team isn't scared of anyone, and if they are in the fight late, they stand a fighting chance of pulling off a massive upset. Is it likely? No, but they aren't some pushover team that is just happy to be there. This team isn't Katie's most talented, but they are by far her toughest. They don't know how to quit and that's what you need against South Carolina. You need to be able to take their best punch and keep swinging.

Our guards versus USC’s trees. I think we can make it past that into the group of 32. With the way Auburn has played this past month that could be anyones game. Guard play really helps tremendously in the tourney and we have 3 very good ones in Moore, McGusty, and Wong. Call me a homer but why can’t we make it to the Sweet 16?
Wong has to play better.

Advertisement
Arizona is my pick as well. Explosive, bigs that defend like crazy, and share the ball better than any team in the country. Tennessee is my dark horse. They played the best half of any team I have seen all year. If they can play two halves like that going to be tough to knock them out.
Gotta go with Zona too. Master recruiter Tommy Lloyd signed all those "foreign" players for Mark Few at Gonzaga for all those years.

Now, he's outdone himself in Tucson. That is one scary team. He stocked his roster with 2 Estonians, a Lithuanian, guy from France, another from Mali, a Canadian, and a Swede. 7 guys, just like that! Almost seems unfair! Wonder where we'd be if we had hired him last year? (Was never in the cards but can't help wondering, as I bet many other schools are too!).

Advertisement
Gotta go with Zona too. Master recruiter Tommy Lloyd signed all those "foreign" players for Mark Few at Gonzaga for all those years.

Now, he's outdone himself in Tucson. That is one scary team. He stocked his roster with 2 Estonians, a Lithuanian, guy from France, another from Mali, a Canadian, and a Swede. 7 guys, just like that! Almost seems unfair! Wonder where we'd be if we had hired him last year? (Was never in the cards but can't help wondering, as I bet many other schools are too!).
I gotta believe he was waiting for a few certain schools to offer him. Surely he had a number of offers over the years. He also poached Roy Williams top assistant Steve Robinson. That was a major pull.

I'm glad we ended up as a 10 seed. Being a 9 seed would've given us a tougher draw. We would've had to go thru Marquette/Baylor, Boise State/Gonzaga, San Diego State/Kansas, or Seton Hall/Arizona. Those are all tougher draws than what we got.

Not a superstitious man, but feeling jinxed. I'd rather Miami come in with no expectations and THEN go on a run. It's tougher when people expect you to steal games.
As long as the team doesn't buy their own hype, it doesn't really matter what the so called pundits are saying.

Many people picked us to get upset by Loyola, and that's exactly what happened.

U of A is my other alma mater, and that team is stacked. Probably 5 or 6 future NBA players on that roster. Big, athletic, skilled, well coached, they pretty much have it all (other than a true point guard).

FYIY though, most of the main dudes on that team are Sean Miller holdovers - Mathurin, Terry, Tubelis, Koloko, Krisa (who I kinda hate tbh) all predate the Tommy Lloyd era. To his credit though, Lloyd did well to fill in the remaining holes in the portal getting guys like Kier, Larson and Ballo.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Incane, Thanks for the clarification of who Lloyd recruited and who he did not. I'm sure his Euro pipeline will continue strong in the future.

My son graduated from ASU and I continue to marvel at how that hoops program struggles in comparion to the U of A. The resources are there; just not the right HC hires/stability needed.

Incane, Thanks for the clarification of who Lloyd recruited and who he did not. I'm sure his Euro pipeline will continue strong in the future.

My son graduated from ASU and I continue to marvel at how that hoops program struggles in comparion to the U of A. The resources are there; just not the right HC hires/stability needed.

Not sure what the ASU perspective is, but imo, its a cultural issue. Phoenix is a proper city, with actual things to do. In contrast, Tucson is an overgrown small town. Other than drinking and hiking, basketball is all the Dirty T has, and it knows it.

ASU wants to be good at basketball, U of A needs to be.

Not sure what the ASU perspective is, but imo, its a cultural issue. Phoenix is a proper city, with actual things to do. In contrast, Tucson is an overgrown small town. Other than drinking and hiking, basketball is all the Dirty T has, and it knows it.

ASU wants to be good at basketball, U of A needs to be.
I lived in Tucson for 2 years postgrad. It's a dump. The good part was that you could live like a king for **** near nothing.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back