2023 Marcellius Pulliam - LB (Commits to UM)

No you people see the stars and automatically assume he won’t play here and will portal out. Have you seen our current lbs? You want guys like Ragone getting snaps against ACC teams still?
Why is everyone picking on Ragone? He's genuinely no worse than anyone else we're run out there at LB the last few years (besides Wesley Bissainthe).

Advertisement
I’m more curious as to what his hustle, grit, and mental toughness are like because that’s what really separates the 3 and 4 star guys in college. A productive, thumping MLB who might be more quick than fast isn’t as big a deal to me if he’s also instinctual, has a great work ethic and will watch film, and plays with a chip on his shoulder.

If anyone local can shed light on that, or if we can have an interview with his coach that would be great.

Mario is a good recruiter for getting big recruits. I've never heard anyone show he was good at evaluating 2 and 3 stars so that they worked out better on average. The only person to try to do that so far brought up Herbert, who Mario didn't even recruit haha.

There is a comparison. The comparison is in the stars of recruits. I still trust in Mario, but this is not a good take, on average. We are overloaded with 3 stars in this class. Your complete confidence in Mario being able to be * the first * coach to turn a bunch of 3 stars into a championship team is insane.
I didn't follow his recruiting closely before Miami but in less than a year here, I have NO reason to doubt him.

Please see this for why: https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/marios-recruiting.180882/

-Closed out the high school signing class with:
--4 Blue chippers (highest ranked in class): Nyjalik Kelly, Jaleel Skinner, Cyrus Moss, TreVonte' Citizen
--4 Projects (lowest ranked in class): Jaden Harris, Anez Cooper, Ahmad Moten, Matthew McCoy
--Picks up Colby Young during the summer.

Cooper and Young both contributed a lot. McCoy, Harris and Moten all got some buzz as well. Pretty good evaluations so far based on what I can go off of.

Why is everyone picking on Ragone? He's genuinely no worse than anyone else we're run out there at LB the last few years (besides Wesley Bissainthe).
We have one linebacker worth a crap and we are loading up! Bryant may end up with his hand down if he’s 235. Either way, doesn’t matter we are fixing the problem. If he’s depth he’s better then what we have been running around with from a body type standpoint. And that’s all you hear from the great programs. Body type.

I had to dump my stash recently.

@WaterburyCane pick me up brother!
Sorry gents. Was in no shape to post last night. I still may be drunk. Looks like @PIPO got the celebration on

Welcome to the U Marcellius!! God knows we need LB help.

1670154825387.jpeg

1670154736376.gif

1670154785956.gif

1670154862341.gif

1670154891191.gif

1670154922363.gif

Advertisement
Horton IS also a 3 star. If this was Manny offering some rando slow dude I am with you. But this is Charlie Strong. This guy's specialty is identifying Lbs. You got dudes like @KANE here who saw this kid play live go back to pg 3 and see his comments on his game.... this is exactly the type of guy we need in this class.

So the fact that you are focused on a stupid recruiting service and not the fact that strong, Zo, @KANE who saw him play live has to say is either trollish or borderline stupdity.

The kid can hit like a truck, has SEC size and had a good senior year. Has potential to be an ALL ACC linebacker and will probably be a BACKUP. This is how you build elite teams.
This!!

Chill out y'all Jesus. This kid is what our 4-5th LB in the class? It's not a Golden or Manny special ending up with him later after whiffing on bigger fish. Not to even get into the clear recruiting, scouting and evaluation differences between this staff and then.

Kids these days crack me up. Hat tricks and then hitting us with the "For the next 3-4 yrs I'll be attending"... 3 star woulda thought this was the top LB recruit in the country lol...either way hope he turns into a stud LB for us
Lol only part I'll definitely agree with is the "3-4" years thing all the kids love saying.

They gotta realize that if it's only 3 years it's way more likely because you portaled out than got drafted.

I'd just stick to "For the next step in my football journey..." or "For college I'll be attending..."

Advertisement
D, I have to point it out. 7 minutes worth of highlights and nothing of him in any type of coverage?

We all remember what happened with Shaq. I loved Shaq as a team leader. Great against the run. We found out the hard way what his game was missing.

This guy might be hardest hitter on the planet and a run killer. But in todays game, he has to have coverage skills.

Is that the plan? Get a LB who can actually tackle, and work on his coverage skills once they get him on campus? Guess that's better than hoping a coverage guy can learn to tackle.
You mean the same kid still playing on Sundays? Lol

Advertisement
I see alot of people mad and bringing up all the 3 stars who have busted over the years. You are wrong and also right. We cant be building a championship team with a bunch of 3 stars....but, all 3 stars are not built the same. I said it in the traits and body type thread i made in the summer. There is a difference between a 3 star LB thats 5'10/ 5"11, 205 pounds and a 3 star LB who is 6'3 220 and can run. Its simply not the same. When we offered him, he had no rating, yet he had offers from Clemson and Auburn as well as others. Its in the same mode and Bobby Washington. Size and speed. Also our last highest drafted LB was a 3 star.

Oh btw, he is our 4th LB in the class. These the man who go to Clemson and cause us all konda problems.

I see alot of people mad and bringing up all the 3 stars who have busted over the years. You are wrong and also right. We cant be building a championship team with a bunch of 3 stars....but, all 3 stars are not built the same. I said it in the traits and body type thread i made in the summer. There is a difference between a 3 star LB thats 5'10/ 5"11, 205 pounds and a 3 star LB who is 6'3 220 and can run. Its simply not the same. When we offered him, he had no rating, yet he had offers from Clemson and Auburn as well as others. Its in the same mode and Bobby Washington. Size and speed. Also our last highest drafted LB was a 3 star.

Oh btw, he is our 4th LB in the class. These the man who go to Clemson and cause us all konda problems.

Agreed but this kid was likely going to Louisville or GT which likely wouldn’t have killed us.

Advertisement

Miami…..not all 3 stars are built the same! Who’s printing the shirts!?!?!?

I’m not mad, he might turn out solid…but I think Stanquan is better, and now probably doesn’t have a spot in this class.

Just some facts here and take it how you want: As it stands, we’re the only team in the top 10 of the recruiting rankings to have their class predominately made up of three stars. We have 21 commits, and Horton potentially coming would now equate to 22 commits, 11 of which are 3-stars. For comparison:

1. Bama: 24 commits, 4 3-stars
2. UGA: 21 commits, 2 3-stars
3. ND: 26 commits, 5 3-stars
4. Texas: 21 commits, 6 3-stars
5. LSU: 23 commits, 6 3-stars
6. OSU: 19 commits, 1 3-star
7. OU: 21 commits, 8 3-stars
8. Miami: 21 commits, 10 3-stars
9. UF: 22 commits, 4 3-stars
10. Clemson: 23 commits, 5 3-stars
11. Tennessee: 23 commits, 10 3-stars
12. Oregon: 23 commits, 9 3-stars
13. Penn St: 19 commits, 4 3-stars
14. USC: 19 commits, 9 3-stars
15. South Carolina: 20 commits, 9 3-stars

Now not all three-stars are created equal, and we Have to trust the evals. Don’t get me wrong, this class is elite right now…but I do expect some more big fish hunting aside from Horton. Would be disappointing if not.

If Horton jumps in and we have 22 slots filled, still looking to get Bain, Sampson, Etta, Ja’Keem, Fletcher, Inniss, etc…I mean they’re all big fish, but we have less room than I imagined.

Advertisement
Back