Many of You

UMFarArcher

All-ACC
think I'm just another Golden hating sphincter, and that I have no reason to feel that way as the man walked into a crappy situation, he lacked talent, on and on.

When Golden was hired, I was hoping against hope that he was our guy, but then I quickly realized he wasn't, and never would be.

I knew a guy that had the equivalent of a fifth grade education, but the guy in combat had a situational awareness and intuition as to not only how a battle was going, but also had an uncanny sense of timing and intuition, as though he could actually see everyone's actions. So, sight unseen, he'd order certain elements to do certain movements at seemingly random times, and yet they always caught the enemy at a distinct disadvantage at the perfect moment.

What I'm saying is that a successful field commander must have uncanny instincts and intuitions. Anyone can form a battle/game plan, but everyone must know that every plan goes out the door soon after the first shots are fired. Those who don't have the instincts and intuitions to make timely adjustments to counter this immediate threat will lose. Every time. He with the better, faster intuition and instincts will always defeat a stronger, more capable enemy who is directed by a commander without those instincts and intuitions.

I recall the words of Keyhoe on Golden, saying Golden was focused, hard working, and organized - with elements of Howard and JJ. What Keyhoe didn't say, was that Golden also has their intuitions and instincts.

You can be the best planner, the greatest organizer, the most well-spoken commander, but without the magic of instinct and intuition, you are destined to suffer a whole lot of disappointments.

Painful as it is, we saw the ****poor executions when we played Maryland. I watched and couldn't believe the lack of adjustments. There was no feeling for the game on the part of the coaches, and as a result, even the players were put at a distinct disadvantage. I never saw anything from Golden, D'Onofrio, or even Fisch to indicate they had a feel for the game. Nothing.

Fisch picked it up later, and then I saw a man adjusting his plays to his players, but I never once saw the defensive side of the ball adjusting to the players on defense. Every single time, regardless of how many times we got scorched on a certain play, they'd rattle it off the whole game against us.

Not one single game have I ever seen adjustments - especially on defense. As a kid I met Joe Namath, and I recall him telling me that offense draws crowds and comments, but defense wins games. Never forgot it.

I also know that only an offensive defense is effective. Remember? It was a frikkin' race to get to the QB - and I admit sometimes, a screen would eat our lunch, but not very often. Only with Golden and D'Onofrio have we abandoned an offensive defense. And we see the results.

I think Golden is one day going to make a great AD somewhere. But Golden lacks two key components to winning consistently - intuition and instinct. Howard had it. Jimmy had it. Erickson had it. Butch had it. How do you think he was so successful himself in evaluating talent? It's not formula! It's largely, intuition and instinct.

Golden is a good guy. A smart guy. Charming. Clean cut. Always says the right things. Represents his team well before the press.

But Golden doesn't have what it takes to consistently win - often with inferior players - intuition and instinct.

Believe me, you can take lessers and beat greaters every day of the week - if you have good intuition and instinct.

Advertisement
Well-thought out post. Not sure I agree with everything you posted, but thank you for taking the time to actually state a position, defend it, and put it out there in an intelligent way.

Decent post. Many reasonable points. But you will lose people with the Maryland reference.

I'd also guess that of the people you are addressing, some may just think you are annoying **** who is like the boy who cried wolf --- you complain and disrupt so many threads with negative nonsense and arguing that some don't give a **** anymore when you make good posts.

Decent post. Many reasonable points. But you will lose people with the Maryland reference.

I'd also guess that of the people you are addressing, some may just think you are annoying **** who is like the boy who cried wolf --- you complain and disrupt so many threads with negative nonsense and arguing that some don't give a **** anymore when you make good posts.

Works both ways.

None of it - positive or negative on anyone's part - will alter the lack of instinct and intuition.

Anyone can go back and rewatch the games to see if what I say is indicated. It is.

The sooner folks think about this without prejudice, the sooner they'll also realize the same thing, and Miami football can move on with different personnel, hopefully with intuition and instinct. Organization can be good. But organization is one ****-poor substitute for intuition and instinct.

Ever see someone in any endeavor - so disorganized to look at them - but you're amazed at how well they do and how successful they are? Same thing.

Advertisement

None of it - positive or negative on anyone's part - will alter the lack of instinct and intuition.

Anyone can go back and rewatch the games to see if what I say is indicated. It is.

The sooner folks think about this without prejudice, the sooner they'll also realize the same thing, and Miami football can move on with different personnel, hopefully with intuition and instinct. Organization can be good. But organization is one ****-poor substitute for intuition and instinct.

Ever see someone in any endeavor - so disorganized to look at them - but you're amazed at how well they do and how successful they are? Same thing.

I am not disagreeing with you. You make many valid points. Simply pointing out why some of the arguments take place in general.

Maryland example - It was the first game, players were suspended, and the suspension game down pretty close to the game. The team wasn't good to begin with.
- This is usually when the excuses excuses argument commences. But it is true. Doesn't change that no adjustments were made, or whether or not Golden displays intuition 3 years later, but when posters that stir **** up use his first game as an example, and then mock the NCAA investigation as if it had no impact, threads tend to derail on both sides.

Good post.... Golden will be a coach that I appreciate now and will after he is gone. He stayed the course, that I am not sure any coach in the country would of stayed. He has done a lot of positive things by doing that. I think because of that he makes room for the U to come back with or without him. I think at the time of his hiring he was the absolute best option. I want him to have the time to effectively work his plan.
Golden has not been able to execute his plan. OC he chose left, allegations to handle, etc. He deserves time, because he gave the University loyalty that it may or may have deserved. He didn't lack options, and the rest of the country has not viewed him in a light where he was less desirable. He could of bounced a long time ago. I say that, but I do see the need for adjustments to be made, I did see Morris regress this past year. Sometimes personnel, coaching and players determine a lot of decisions you have to make as a head coach. Not ready to jump ship. I still think he can do it..

The HC does not need to be an oracle. He needs to be well-organized, personable, competent and -- most importantly -- hire good coordinators. If Golden comes around on the latter, then he'd be fine. Unfortunately, it's clear he has not and, in my opinion, will not on Coach D. Saban is the best in the business right now. Look at his record at MSU over his first 5 years -- far from overwhelming. And he lost to some really, really bad teams and was blown out several years into his tenure. But, his teams got better, albeit slowly, because he continued to tweak his staff and recruit his *** off. I'm not advocating for Coach Golden. In my opinion, however, the whole intuition angle is a load of sh*t. Bobby Bowden dominated because of his recruiting and coordinators. His intuition was limited to calling a trick play once in awhile.

think I'm just another Golden hating sphincter, and that I have no reason to feel that way as the man walked into a crappy situation, he lacked talent, on and on.

When Golden was hired, I was hoping against hope that he was our guy, but then I quickly realized he wasn't, and never would be.

I knew a guy that had the equivalent of a fifth grade education, but the guy in combat had a situational awareness and intuition as to not only how a battle was going, but also had an uncanny sense of timing and intuition, as though he could actually see everyone's actions. So, sight unseen, he'd order certain elements to do certain movements at seemingly random times, and yet they always caught the enemy at a distinct disadvantage at the perfect moment.

What I'm saying is that a successful field commander must have uncanny instincts and intuitions. Anyone can form a battle/game plan, but everyone must know that every plan goes out the door soon after the first shots are fired. Those who don't have the instincts and intuitions to make timely adjustments to counter this immediate threat will lose. Every time. He with the better, faster intuition and instincts will always defeat a stronger, more capable enemy who is directed by a commander without those instincts and intuitions.

I recall the words of Keyhoe on Golden, saying Golden was focused, hard working, and organized - with elements of Howard and JJ. What Keyhoe didn't say, was that Golden also has their intuitions and instincts.

You can be the best planner, the greatest organizer, the most well-spoken commander, but without the magic of instinct and intuition, you are destined to suffer a whole lot of disappointments.

Painful as it is, we saw the ****poor executions when we played Maryland. I watched and couldn't believe the lack of adjustments. There was no feeling for the game on the part of the coaches, and as a result, even the players were put at a distinct disadvantage. I never saw anything from Golden, D'Onofrio, or even Fisch to indicate they had a feel for the game. Nothing.

Fisch picked it up later, and then I saw a man adjusting his plays to his players, but I never once saw the defensive side of the ball adjusting to the players on defense. Every single time, regardless of how many times we got scorched on a certain play, they'd rattle it off the whole game against us.

Not one single game have I ever seen adjustments - especially on defense. As a kid I met Joe Namath, and I recall him telling me that offense draws crowds and comments, but defense wins games. Never forgot it.

I also know that only an offensive defense is effective. Remember? It was a frikkin' race to get to the QB - and I admit sometimes, a screen would eat our lunch, but not very often. Only with Golden and D'Onofrio have we abandoned an offensive defense. And we see the results.

I think Golden is one day going to make a great AD somewhere. But Golden lacks two key components to winning consistently - intuition and instinct. Howard had it. Jimmy had it. Erickson had it. Butch had it. How do you think he was so successful himself in evaluating talent? It's not formula! It's largely, intuition and instinct.

Golden is a good guy. A smart guy. Charming. Clean cut. Always says the right things. Represents his team well before the press.

But Golden doesn't have what it takes to consistently win - often with inferior players - intuition and instinct.

Believe me, you can take lessers and beat greaters every day of the week - if you have good intuition and instinct.
I have no problem with al golden on the offensive side he has done well it's dorito that's the problem 3 straight years of bad defense...He is not even a factor in recruiting...But oh well we have to deal with it for 1 more year

Advertisement

Dude, Butch was not a good game day coach, either. He could evaluate talent with the best of them as he probably put together the best team in College football history. But he had his shortcomings as well. U mentioned "no adjustments" as a knock on AG, well Butch had that problem as well. Now, Dennis Erickson was a **** game day coach, IMO!

I was all in for Golden. I made a pic showing him and his quote of "take your shots now". I was all in after the season....then the debacle of the recruiting happened and the fact that he said he was gonna "review" his staff. He "reviewed" his staff and Dnofrio still has a job. No one got fired. Even Muschamp fired his OC. There is one thing that always kills me, when fans say "the cloud" as a reason why the D isnt successful. We have mostly faced crap to ok teams and they have raped the Canes D.

Golden doesnt have the killer instinct to win. I remember hearing that Gates and Jobs or would fire anyone that wasnt getting the job done. You cannot run a successful business/team if you're too nice.

Advertisement
who the **** wins consistently with inferior players?

I think it was coach Bum Phillips of the Houston Oilers who said about Shula, he can beat yours with hisn and he can beat hisn with yourn. Shula proved that he could continue winning when he did it with replacement players one season.

who the **** wins consistently with inferior players?

96.jpg

Dude, Butch was not a good game day coach, either. He could evaluate talent with the best of them as he probably put together the best team in College football history. But he had his shortcomings as well. U mentioned "no adjustments" as a knock on AG, well Butch had that problem as well. Now, Dennis Erickson was a **** game day coach, IMO!

Would you rather have a Coach who can recruit like Butch, or a coach that can't do either? Recruit or make in game changes?

Advertisement
Given the same exact set of circumstances, can any of us guarantee that Butch would have recruited better than Golden has since taking the job in 2011? I don't think we can. We can speculate, but for some of the guys that Golden has lost in recruiting--I'm not 100% sure that another coach would have hauled in the ones Golden missed with all of the NCAA mess going on.

I just can't wait until the offseason lull is over with and we're into Fall practice. At least all of this "what if" stuff will be over with, and we can actually start seeing some results (good or bad) with this team on the field. I'm already sick of the terrible offseason threads season.

I agree with you but the mess was over last year. So losing Lane, Valentine, Powell, Rudolph, etc. was very troubling when we should have had momentum coming from under the mess. Obviously we have a long ways to go with this recruiting class but when you look at Gibson, Cole, Scarlett, Mcfaddens, all leaning elsewhere right now it is also very troubling... And so you know I am one of the biggest Golden supporters since he grew up exactly where I grew up and I will root for him no matter what until he is not the Miami coach.

Given the same exact set of circumstances, can any of us guarantee that Butch would have recruited better than Golden has since taking the job in 2011? I don't think we can. We can speculate, but for some of the guys that Golden has lost in recruiting--I'm not 100% sure that another coach would have hauled in the ones Golden missed with all of the NCAA mess going on.

I just can't wait until the offseason lull is over with and we're into Fall practice. At least all of this "what if" stuff will be over with, and we can actually start seeing some results (good or bad) with this team on the field. I'm already sick of the terrible offseason threads season.

Advertisement
Back