Manny's response to possible QB's leaving

CFDan

Sophomore

man, i dont know how it will take, or to what extent but this program is on the right track with this guy. i fuggin love this dude and he's the right guy to lead us right now

"“Look, that’s outside of our control,’’ Diaz said. “The University of Miami demands that the best player in our locker room playing quarterback plays quarterback. And then what happens beyond that is outside of our control. But I will say this, and this goes with any position, any player: If you don’t want to be for the University of Miami, go somewhere else. This is UM. This is Miami. We don’t have to beg anyone to be a Miami Hurricane. And that’s in recruiting and that’s in anything else.

“We have to start to create value to what it means to play for the Miami Hurricanes. Because right now in my mind that has been devalued. So I’m trying to recreate value in what it means to be on our team. And I’ll be honest, and I’m not even talking about quarterbacks — for any position.

“I don’t really care. I want to find some guys that are all for the U. Guess why? Because that’s how Miami won in the past. And I don’t care what guys are ranked in recruiting. I don’t care what guys have done on our team. We’re going to win with guys that love the University of Miami. That has been proven over and over and over again.’’

Advertisement
“We have to start to create value to what it means to play for the Miami Hurricanes. Because right now in my mind that has been devalued."

This guy gets it. Been saying this for years. You want the local blue chip kids to stay home. They have to value and want not only the Miami offer, but almost begging for a roster spot.

There will be some bumps along the way but Miami has been waiting for this type of head coach since January of 2001.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

man, i dont know how it will take, or to what extent but this program is on the right track with this guy. i fuggin love this dude and he's the right guy to lead us right now

"“Look, that’s outside of our control,’’ Diaz said. “The University of Miami demands that the best player in our locker room playing quarterback plays quarterback. And then what happens beyond that is outside of our control. But I will say this, and this goes with any position, any player: If you don’t want to be for the University of Miami, go somewhere else. This is UM. This is Miami. We don’t have to beg anyone to be a Miami Hurricane. And that’s in recruiting and that’s in anything else.

“We have to start to create value to what it means to play for the Miami Hurricanes. Because right now in my mind that has been devalued. So I’m trying to recreate value in what it means to be on our team. And I’ll be honest, and I’m not even talking about quarterbacks — for any position.

“I don’t really care. I want to find some guys that are all for the U. Guess why? Because that’s how Miami won in the past. And I don’t care what guys are ranked in recruiting. I don’t care what guys have done on our team. We’re going to win with guys that love the University of Miami. That has been proven over and over and over again.’’
I love that quote more than anything he’s ever said or more than any coach since butch.

I don’t care if it’s “all talk, show me on the field blah ******* blah” to the usual suspects. That quote is foundational period.

Advertisement
This part gets me hyped too:

"Now I’ll say this: Part of it is you have to have a program where players don’t want to leave if they can avoid it and they want to believe that they’re going to be treated right. Ideally, it may not be better somewhere else.’’

I'm sure most coaches think they're doing the above, but to know Manny is making a concerted effort separates him from 99% of the coaches out there. The work doesn't stop once a player has arrived on campus, it's a two-way street between program and athlete to make sure one another is happy with each other's performance. We've lost a lot players to the 6th round of the draft and to transfers the past 10 years, Manny will put an end to it.

DvyED4sWoAApKY_.jpg

Advertisement
Back