Manny will call Plays in 2021, Jess Back as DL Coach

I know there’s one prominent player who’s a big Rumph guy. This is 100% political. The dude is in the recruiting dept lol. Let me repeat “ he’s in the recruiting dept”. This is as comical as paying a dc 500 k + to chill on game days. Unreal.
you would think this move is to teach Rumph how to recruit by making him do it full time. because clearly he cant be let go. and as far as baker i can see Manny keeping him because he cant find a job this year and wont put his boy on the street. that can be the only reason to keep him on.

Advertisement
You are correct in one sense. Football is about offense. Realistically, I think Diaz could do as good a job at DC as Muschamp, Steele, or Skrong. The issue is that I think he's already overwhelmed as a HC, so where's he suddenly going to find the time to gameplan as a DC. Even if he brought in someone who was merely as good as him- but not better- it still is one thing off his plate. Then there is Jess Simpson. I'm underwhelmed bringing him back. I don't know if he got turned down or if he only wanted Simpson, but meh. The biggest WTF is moving Rumph to recruiting coordinator. The person who was the single worst recruiter on the staff is now in charge of recruiting? Welp.

Diaz needs to put every ounce of effort into getting the offense right- dump dead weight on the roster and go get the top talent in the portal. We need a massive talent infusion all over the offense.

I hear ya, I'm disappointed too overall, but looking realistically it does make sense.

Rumph might be good at evaluating talent but not coaching or recruiting. So him helping who we target might make sense vs him coaching and actually recruiting the player. Not an insider can't say, but doubt Diaz would demote him and keep him if he didn't bring something to the table, what would be the point?

As for Simpson, he's a good developer, his Buford HS teams we're dang good and the guys under him the one year here looked pretty good. Maybe he can't recruit but that's why we got guys like DVD & TRob on the road now.

Patke is the one that doesn't make sense to me right now. Yeah the ST looked better but that's because we got two **** good kickers. The rest of the ST looked horrible, returns with our talent has been pathetic. The striker position has looked decent though mostly which he is in charge of supposedly so I guess he has value there.

Couple comments.

1. Doesnt jimbo call the offense for A&M and he's the HC. They did pretty well this year.

2. If this is the approach I dont see why you just don't make TRob a Co-DC

3. Rumphs recruiting role is probably more centered around identifying talent not recruiting it.

4. Defense and d line should be much improved. Better defensive line coaching should lead to marginally better LB play.

5. I dont have as big of an issue with Patke as strikers have looked decent. Maybe just focus on kick returns this year. Stevenson should fix the catching on punts

6. Maybe baker can focus more on ILB so they aren't **** **** year

7. Trob was named DB coach, so this is pretty much DVD being an assistant DB coach and allowing him to get in recruits homes. Dont love it, don't hate it.

8. Manny calling plays is better than 90% of what we could've had. Scheme still in question
Hopefully Jess Simpson will show our DEs how to set an edge this season

It’s not the calling the game as a head coach , it’s keeping the guy that failed at , while paying him dc money.
Dont disagree at all. Just fire him, name jess and trob co dc and hire a LB coach.

I'm good with manny calling plays. The only move I'm really questioning is baker keeping his title. Baker as a LB coach and that's his focus may not be too bad. Just strip him of the title.

Advertisement
you would think this move is to teach Rumph how to recruit by making him do it full time. because clearly he cant be let go. and as far as baker i can see Manny keeping him because he cant find a job this year and wont put his boy on the street. that can be the only reason to keep him on.
I think it’s a holder plan , Mike is looking and getting thrown in the recruiting room until he finds something. If he finds something.

All the hype from recruiting this year just went down the drain for me. Keeping Baker and hiring guys with no experience at key positions are a total recipe for failure. dont think the local kids are going to be so excited to join the team now.

So Baker’s new title should be “Defensive Advisor to the Head Coach that took over the Defensive Cordinators spot because that guy sucked”.

Couple comments.

1. Doesnt jimbo call the offense for A&M and he's the HC. They did pretty well this year.
Yes, but he probably isn't paying his QB coach OC salary. He also didnt hire a **** OC to then take away his play calling duties and keep him on staff.

3. Rumphs recruiting role is probably more centered around identifying talent not recruiting it.
He doesnt do a great job of identifying talent either. Ivey/Blades started most of the season over Couch.
4. Defense and d line should be much improved. Better defensive line coaching should lead to marginally better LB play.

5. I dont have as big of an issue with Patke as strikers have looked decent. Maybe just focus on kick returns this year. Stevenson should fix the catching on punts

7. Trob was named DB coach, so this is pretty much DVD being an assistant DB coach and allowing him to get in recruits homes. Dont love it, don't hate it.
Manny got finessed. This isnt 5D chess

Advertisement
Couple comments.

8. Manny calling plays is better than 90% of what we could've had. Scheme still in question

fisher called plays at FSU too. Riley calls plays at OU. im fine with Manny over baker but not my first choice bc I want Manny to be an HC since hes learning and not a DC and HC. I do like t rob and Simpson. huge upgrades there. patkes bleh.

Advertisement
A real ****ty day for the future of UM football. Lispy's ego is on full display, as he refuses to acknowledge his defensive scheme is the problem (just the way Baker calls defense). Steps away from CEO role that works best, jumping back into play-calling. Dumb move.

With the staff, Baker and Rumph are basically stealing money now. Patke has managed to fly under the radar a lot this off-season, but he's another worthless sponge. I am good with bringing Simpson back, though we'll see how he recruits. And while I am not happy about it, I can somewhat understand the logic of bringing DVD along like this, but only because (other than TRob) the rest of the coaches on defense are all minus recruiters.

All that said, anyone who thinks Mandible gets fired if he doesn't improve last season's record has not been paying attention.
If he wins 8 or more games he is definitely back for 2022. If he wins 7 games he is probably back, but on a tight leash. If he wins 6 games or less, maybe then he's gone... maybe.

@Swampcity ask if I was a ********* b/c I said let’s allow Manny to do his job for another season. (Typically 3-4 yrs as a HC in today’s landscape will tell u what u need to know).

My reply was maybe I am b/c I’m a Canes & Chicago Bears fan.

In the past three days; I’ve seen my Bears keep the same GM that traded away assets to move up to draft a lame duck QB & keep the HC who made the ‘92 Bears’ offense look like the Legion of Zoom. I’m now seeing my Canes keep a DC, by title only...and......and......ANNNNNNND, move our worst recruiter to a RECRUITING role???

I’m fine w/ Diaz calling plays; thats w/e. I’m not fine w/ Baker taking up a spot as a glorified coach. I’m ecstatic about T-Rob, although this will be the first time I’m going to witness him w/o Muschamp. Jess coming back is meh. It’s w/e; I’m neither hot nor cold w it. But, Rumph taking on the recruiting role???? Yooooooo; that’s some str8 twilight zone chit! If he was stepped down, not b/c of coaching, but due to recruiting or lack thereof, how in tf........

U know what, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! There’s that roller coaster drop again. Lol

Advertisement
@Swampcity ask if I was a ********* b/c I said let’s allow Manny to do his job for another season. (Typically 3-4 yrs as a HC in today’s landscape will tell u what u need to know).

My reply was maybe I am b/c I’m a Canes & Chicago Bears fan.

In the past three days; I’ve seen my Bears keep the same GM that traded away assets to move up to draft a lame duck QB & keep the HC who made the ‘92 Bears’ offense look like the Legion of Zoom. I’m now seeing my Canes keep a DC, by title only...and......and......ANNNNNNND, move our worst recruiter to a RECRUITING role???

I’m fine w/ Diaz calling plays; thats w/e. I’m not fine w/ Baker taking up a spot as a glorified coach. I’m ecstatic about T-Rob, although this will be the first time I’m going to witness him w/o Muschamp. Jess coming back is meh. It’s w/e; I’m neither hot nor cold w it. But, Rumph taking on the recruiting role???? Yooooooo; that’s some str8 twilight zone chit! If he was stepped down, not b/c of coaching, but due to recruiting or lack thereof, how in tf........

U know what, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! There’s that roller coaster drop again. Lol

dude rumph isnt recruiting. former players LOVE him and were ****ed he was fired.

Yes, but he probably isn't paying his QB coach OC salary. He also didnt hire a **** OC to then take away his play calling duties and keep him on staff.

He doesnt do a great job of identifying talent either. Ivey/Blades started most of the season over Couch.

Manny got finessed. This isnt 5D chess
1. ****ey Is the OC and makes 800k. Dont disagree on the demotion part. But thats an expensive OC just for jimbo to run his offense. You could argue that baker knows mannys d and wants him to just help when needed.

2. Rumph has identified tons of talent even though he can't recruit and was overruled by bands. So you're wrong. But I see this as a short term move until rumph lands on his feet. That part is pathetic

3. Win win. Manny succeeds, we have a top defense and we win 10 games. He fails, he's gone.

Advertisement
Back