Manny, our D, O and the future as of Nov. 7, 2020

I agree with everything you said with the exception of 2 things.

#1 While I agree that our WR corps is most definitely coming on and showing substantial improvement with Harley just flat out being unconscious right now, talking about championship quality is going way overboard. The NCST defense and most notably their back 7 is the very epitome of "Cheeks". Still the progress that Pope and Wiggins have shown is more than just noteworthy. It seems to me as if Lashlee is getting a much better feel as to what these WR do best and is beginning to formulate game plans that are able to emphasize exactly that. Simultaneously it seems as though King has finally knocked off the rust of 1 and a half years of not playing and is starting to get a very good feel for Lashlee's scheme and how to use his skill set to operate in it most effectively. King is also beginning to see the field much better and is starting to develop chemistry with Pope and Wiggins to complement what he has already built with Harley and Mallory.

It should also be noted that the OL continues to improve in their pass blocking to the point of becoming consistently good there. There is still much work to be done in regards to run blocking but that will come eventually. The success that King and the WR unit are having in the passing game will only serve to open up the running game that much more.

It seems as if Lashlee is finally beginning to wake from the mirage that this team could be a power run first type of offense. The fact that King and the WRs have established a deadly rapport after a rocky start has served to completely open Lashlee's eyes in this regard. I believe we are seeing this offense finally start coming into its own after having no spring and a limited fall. I said at the beginning of the year that this offense would be much better during the last half of the season. Thankfully it seems that I was correct. We have an excellent opportunity as an offense from here to the end of the season as the quality of defense we will face from here on out will be very similar to what NCST showed us last night. VT has the 89th ranked defense and GT has the 93rd with NCST coming in at 94th after what we did to them. The better defenses that we will be facing are WF at #66 and UNC at #47. For the sake of comparison, our Defense Is currently #55 in total defense and that includes Friday night's game against NCST.

I also don't think that we will be sliding into the playoffs this year. It just isn't realistic at this point. No matter what the scenario I just can't see that happening even if we finish 10-1. Our only shot at the playoffs would be to qualify for the ACCCG at 10-1 and defeat whoever it is we play. That seems to be a very remote possibility. The chances of going 10-1 to begin with are not promising if this defense continues to play like they did on Friday. We shall see. For the time being I am loving the fact we are 6-1 with our offense really beginning to gel.

Advertisement
I'll come out and say it I doubt manny is the answer but we also gotta stop assuming miami is the miami of the old we need to build our trenches are where we lose the big games and having 3 different ol and dl coaches over the last years doesnt help. You look at our o line and we have 3 center's starting on our line and then one of our lineman is a transfer. We need to stop over recruiting skill positions and going after top prospects there we need to go after top lineman its soflo there are plenty of good enough playmakers and play stoppers to go around we need to value the line

It’s been bad but what I witnessed last night was just plain awful.If we’d of been playing a decent QB they’d have rung up 80 on our ***.I mean there were times like we were playing 8 on 11 cause there was always 2-3 WRs just running wide open.

and the next time one of or CBS looks back for the ball it will be the first time.
Again, you like most in here don't know WTF you're talking, the mere fact you said "if we'd been playing a decent qb they'd have rung up 80" shows you need to STFU. Is the NC St. qb better than trevor lawrence now, GTFOH. Our db's are not the problem, it's blake baker. The safeties had a way worst game than the corners but somehow y'all saying keep banda, lol. Both rumph and banda are not the problem, it's baker, our secondaries have been legit before baker got here, and now all of a sudden, it's coach rumph, lol.

Those NC St. guys made tough catches and their qb was accurate, but what happened in the 4th quarter, did we change db coaches to as well, you guys are clowns, after the Clemson y'all same people had nothing to say about the corners, didn't want to give dj ivey credit for his coverage in that game nor hen he scored, and last game he had the game winning pick, and a y'all do is sit round, haters to the fullest and wait for anything yall think is coach rumph's fault to pounce. Should Clemson get rid of their secondary coaches or should notre shame, they both looked like some trash yesterday.

Our cb's for the most part shutdown Clemson's receivers, most of trevor's passing yards came on swing passes to the backs and his tightends, their receivers combined barely had 100 receiving yards. Also, defensively, we did enuff to be in that game, despite baker, the 2 picks by king were just bad throws, he made the right reads just didn't put the ball in the best position for his us to make a play.

So save the coach rumph non-sense, it was rhett lashlee who was more of the problem in that Clemson game, not baker(although manny was probably helping em). Our problem has simply been since coach diaz got here is our linebackers in pass coverage, the safeties need to be dropped down plain and simple.

I agree with everything you said with the exception of 2 things.

#1 While I agree that our WR corps is most definitely coming on and showing substantial improvement with Harley just flat out being unconscious right now, talking about championship quality is going way overboard. The NCST defense and most notably their back 7 is the very epitome of "Cheeks". Still the progress that Pope and Wiggins have shown is more than just noteworthy. It seems to me as if Lashlee is getting a much better feel as to what these WR do best and is beginning to formulate game plans that are able to emphasize exactly that. Simultaneously it seems as though King has finally knocked off the rust of 1 and a half years of not playing and is starting to get a very good feel for Lashlee's scheme and how to use his skill set to operate in it most effectively. King is also beginning to see the field much better and is starting to develop chemistry with Pope and Wiggins to complement what he has already built with Harley and Mallory.

It should also be noted that the OL continues to improve in their pass blocking to the point of becoming consistently good there. There is still much work to be done in regards to run blocking but that will come eventually. The success that King and the WR unit are having in the passing game will only serve to open up the running game that much more.

It seems as if Lashlee is finally beginning to wake from the mirage that this team could be a power run first type of offense. The fact that King and the WRs have established a deadly rapport after a rocky start has served to completely open Lashlee's eyes in this regard. I believe we are seeing this offense finally start coming into its own after having no spring and a limited fall. I said at the beginning of the year that this offense would be much better during the last half of the season. Thankfully it seems that I was correct. We have an excellent opportunity as an offense from here to the end of the season as the quality of defense we will face from here on out will be very similar to what NCST showed us last night. VT has the 89th ranked defense and GT has the 93rd with NCST coming in at 94th after what we did to them. The better defenses that we will be facing are WF at #66 and UNC at #47. For the sake of comparison, our Defense Is currently #55 in total defense and that includes Friday night's game against NCST.

I also don't think that we will be sliding into the playoffs this year. It just isn't realistic at this point. No matter what the scenario I just can't see that happening even if we finish 10-1. Our only shot at the playoffs would be to qualify for the ACCCG at 10-1 and defeat whoever it is we play. That seems to be a very remote possibility. The chances of going 10-1 to begin with are not promising if this defense continues to play like they did on Friday. We shall see. For the time being I am loving the fact we are 6-1 with our offense really beginning to gel.
This is a good analysis, coach likens is doing a real good job with the receiver room. Our guys our receivers are starting to complete plays now on the outside and King is doing a better job with ball placement, that chemistry takes time. One things for certain, harley has always been a hard worker, his work ethic was never in question and that'll transfer to the younger guys. Our receiver room is definitely on the come up, add in the receiving talent likens has hit on thus far with the wideouts in this next class, we'll start becoming a consistent problems for other secondaries.

I'll say this, NC St receivers are probably the best collection of receivers we've faced and will face all year, our db's didn't get smoked, guys made next level style catches period, you can live with that. The good news is our db's stay hungry, and I'll give manny credit, our guys on defense and now the whole team play and give great effort for coach diaz, that's a good sign. Our db's don't hang their heads and keep coming thru, against Clemson defensively we played good enuff to win that game, offensively is where our guys got dominated, the foundation is their and also we gotta give coach patke credit for the play of our special teams, particularly on the blocked fieldgoals and coverage units, the to hat guy from NC St. who broke one is legit, and made a play. This team is on the brink, and alot of guys are definitely being developed, our main problem is linebacker play and maximizing player development!

Advertisement
I always say, every 2 to 3 years replace your OV and DC, because people have lots of film on it and are used to your schemes and how to beat it.
We're in year 5ish of the DC schemes, mix it up.

All I want for Christmas is Corey Raymond as DC. Would solve our CB recruiting issue and I think the guy is ready to call his own defense. Can’t imagine he’s enjoying the season in Baton Rouge maybe he’s looking for an out???

Go Canes!

Baker has worked over the decade under Manny at Texas, Louisiana Tech, and Mississippi State (as well as Miami). I daresay he has trained Baker in some of his defensive postures, as well as supervised him, so it would seem Manny probably agrees with much of what Baker schemes or orchestrates and simply blames lack of player talent for the current debacle...

...he may be right about some of that, and probably hopes new blood on the defensive side will solve the bubbling crisis. Since we keep (barely) winning, I am doubtful any firing is gonna happen before next year's class of starters is given a go.
Baker is his protege. Unless this team totally craps on itself Manny will believe that the defenses issues can be fixed in house. Especially if Manny did in fact take over the play calling duties. He will believe that he can teach Baker. We finish 9-3 or better and there could be some tweaks but this will probably be the coaching staff we take into 2021.

Advertisement
We will see all we need to see with Manny and his / our future within a week after the season ends.

if most /if not all of the defensive staff ( with the possible exception of Banda) is not gone by that time we will know Manny is oblivious as to how bad the defense is and he/we is/are fCked going forward.
What you fail to realize is: The problem is Manny. He is a very good Def. Coordinator, but he was not and is not ready to take the wheel.

It’s been bad but what I witnessed last night was just plain awful.If we’d of been playing a decent QB they’d have rung up 80 on our ***.I mean there were times like we were playing 8 on 11 cause there was always 2-3 WRs just running wide open.

and the next time one of or CBS looks back for the ball it will be the first time.

80?

Really?

80?

What perplexes me is that if it's true that Manny had to step in and call the defense towards the end of the game - didn't that happen last season also? - how is that not a glaring red flag that the DC isn't doing his job? In other words, if Manny felt like Baker wasn't doing a good job and had to step in, how is that not grounds for dismissal?

He takes over and does the guy's job, then lets him go back to calling the D next game? Makes no sense.
I totally agree. It's no different than when an offensive head coach says, "I'm calling the plays now." I mean ****. Baker's in the booth and Manny is calling a better game from the sideline. Might as well hire a young DC that can recruit and learn from Manny. Manny can call the defense while the new DC learns because after a year and a half, Baker should be shown the door.

I wouldn't mind if Ed Reed became the CB coach. I don't know if he wants to commit that much to the program, but you know he'll recruit and he knows every position on the defense, so coaching CBs is not out of the question.

I'll come out and say it I doubt manny is the answer but we also gotta stop assuming miami is the miami of the old we need to build our trenches are where we lose the big games and having 3 different ol and dl coaches over the last years doesnt help. You look at our o line and we have 3 center's starting on our line and then one of our lineman is a transfer. We need to stop over recruiting skill positions and going after top prospects there we need to go after top lineman its soflo there are plenty of good enough playmakers and play stoppers to go around we need to value the line
I get what you are saying, but this is not an NFL draft. We are not drafting skill players with first and second round picks over linemen because in college football you can have all # 1's if you can get them. We are not losing out on trench players because we go after elite skill players. The very top talented offensive lineman have been leaving the state. We do have very depth of good 4 star prospects and I believe we will see a B+ type of offensive line next year as this year's line gains another year of experience and some younger players like Rivers work into the fold.

It looks like Zion Nelson could hold down the left tackle spot. I would like to see Campbell move to guard or right tackle next year. I agree that we essentially have 3 centers playing offensive line and that's a problem. With our current offensive line, I'd like to see more running plays with pulling an double teams to open up some holes for the RBs.

For 2021, I'd like to see: LT - Nelson, LG - Donaldson, C - Gaynor/Clark, RG - Rivers, RT - Campbell

Advertisement
To this day, I'm not entirely sure that if Golden had gotten rid of Donuts and hired a good DC, he wouldn't have grown into the job. Instead, Al literally threw his coaching career away for his good ole pal, D'onfrio. One of the most remarkable things I've ever seen play out.
Richt did the same with his OC.

All I want for Christmas is Corey Raymond as DC. Would solve our CB recruiting issue and I think the guy is ready to call his own defense. Can’t imagine he’s enjoying the season in Baton Rouge maybe he’s looking for an out???

Go Canes!

You want a guy that’s never coordinated a defense before to be our next defensive coordinator? Based on what? That he’s a good DB coach?

Advertisement
Completely agree regarding the OL. Look at Notre Dame. Look at how they were able to beat Clemson. More specifically look at the way that the Irish were able to move the ball and score against basically the same defense that are our lunch. Yeah sure Lawrence was out but Ugly played great. Yea I know they had a few guys out on defense but that program has been recruiting at an elite level for years so I don't want to hear it. Notre Dame was able to win that game because they have an elite Offensive Line.

This staff this program need to make a concerted effort to build a dominant Offensive line. How long has it been since UM has had a great OL? Seriously we are still reminiscing about the 2001 OL. What is the best Offensive Line that we have had in the past 10 years? 15 years? Get my point. It is that position group that has been and will continue to hold this program back when we face elite competition. Everybody here wants to score points and have this amazing high flying offense that can score on anyone. Lashlee gets here his first year and the guy has done some great things considering what we are working with upfront. Sure the guy has had some lapses but so does everyone. Instead many here whine ***** and complain about not putting up 40 plus against everyone we play. Lashlee deserves a medal for what he has been able to accomplish this far and D'erique King has a lot to do with that but the bottom line is that if we want that elite offense that can drop a 40 spot on the likes of Clemson and Baga then we must build and develop a great OL. There's no other way around it.

Fanbase would explode if manny hired an No exp, DC from within a failed unit
As well we should explode in that case. If Lashley stays for at least one more season, and a few of these guys don’t go to the draft, we have an opportunity to re-ascend to the elite of college football. We need a stud veteran DC to get us that last bit of the way.

You want a guy that’s never coordinated a defense before to be our next defensive coordinator? Based on what? That he’s a good DB coach?

Yep. Because who the **** are we gonna get that has experience as a DC. Do you really think someone with experience is gonna work under Manny? No one with experience, unless he's 80, like Don Brown and thinking about retirement would coach under Manny. At the very least Raymond cleans up pour CB recruiting shortcomings. Trying to be realistic.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
Back