Manny, our D, O and the future as of Nov. 7, 2020

filmcane

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
  • Unlike many on this board, I'm not certain that Manny isn't the coach we need. He greatly improved the team over this last season and until I get a sense that he's a pulling a Coker/Shannon/Golden/Richt and not realizing that systemic changes to the team need to be made, I will ride with him and give my full support.
  • He flushed out the entire O side of the ball and although not perfect, it does look like it's working. We are vastly better on that side of the ball.
  • Usually, but not always, your first gut instinct is correct, but you just have to let it play out. Thus is the case with Blake and the rest of the D staff. I've been a Rumph hold out, but now I realize we need a complete reset of our D coaches, just as we did the O coaches last offseason. With the lone possible exception of Banda, this D staff has to go!
  • Stroud - apparently he's a strong recruiter, but one thing is glaringly clear: he is NOT a good DL coach. I've been banging that drum since 3rd game last season and was told to shut up, I didn't know what I was talking about with Stroud, etc., etc. Fast forward to today and I think it's clear to most long time CFB viewers and long time Cane fans, that our DL plays with great effort, but not with great skill or strategy. We need someone to teach these talented DL how to play their positions and do so effectively. What we lose in recruiting without Stroud, will be more than made up for with W's and on field results. We've seen enough game tape; he's gotta go or be reassigned to recruiting coordinator.
  • There is absolutely NO REASON for us to still be logging in 8 penalties in the 1st half of a game against mother freaking NCST!!! As I mentioned earlier, I'm still riding with Manny (for the moment), but he's GOT to instill more discipline into his team. Manny is still going through HC growing pains and that's fine, but eventually, he has to get our guys to play with more discipline and awareness.
  • I have no evidence of this, but unless we had some unprecedented end to this season, that even my overly optimistic mind can't conceive, I do think we get Lashlee one more year. If we can pair him with a good DC, we will be lined up to have a very special season in 2021'.
  • Lashlee - I've picked on him a little this season, so I want to give him credit as well when it's due. He called a really great game last night. There was only one play that made me question it out loud to my TV, but other than that, he seems to be improving and adjusting to his talent throughout the season.
  • WR's - it's amazing what pressure, competition (from youngsters) and accountability will do for your WR's. Assuming we keep Likens for one more year (don't see why we wouldn't), I predict our WR's will continue to improve and become championship quality.
  • Going forward and for the good of our team, Blake needs to be a lameduck DC for the rest of the season with Manny taking over. If the rumors of Manny taking over in the 4th quarter are true, we need that for the rest of the season and especially for the VT and UNC games. Manny needs to take over that unit and honestly, he ought to just fire Blake so there aren't any mixed messages or a vacuum in direction and leadership. The D is too important and we've made too much progress as a team this year on the field and in recruiting, to just give away a couple of games on account of the D because we were waiting to make changes in the offseason. I mean, criminey! We still have a decent shot at ending in the top 5-7 after the bowls and we even have a microscopic chance of making it to the playoffs.
  • Speaking of crazy talk - after last night's defensive debacle, this truly is lunatic talk, but I suppose you lads have come to expect that from me so here goes: we actually have a shot at the playoffs if we DON'T make it to the ACCCHGM. This assumes we win out, which seems very iffy at best, but could still happen (especially if Manny stops futzing around and takes over the D henceforth), with the SEC teams tallying 2 losses, the PAC just starting play in Nov., the B12 being the joke that it is and B1G sending only the *'s to the playoffs, it's unlikely, but not impossible, that a 10-1 Miami team might fall backward into the playoffs. Like I said, it's kooky talk, but 2020 might see the 1st playoffs where the ACC send 2 teams.

Advertisement
We will see all we need to see with Manny and his / our future within a week after the season ends.

if most /if not all of the defensive staff ( with the possible exception of Banda) is not gone by that time we will know Manny is oblivious as to how bad the defense is and he/we is/are fCked going forward.

We will see all we need to see with Manny and his / our future within a week after the season ends.

if most /if not all of the defensive staff ( with the possible exception of Banda) is not gone by that time we will know Manny is oblivious as to how bad the defense is and he/we is/are fCked going forward.
I think you're right about that. If Manny doesn't overhaul this D in the offseason (barring some miracle comeback by Blake), there's a heavy chance he is on his way to an eventual firing. He must continue being brutal, savage and without remorse in the offseason. He needs to get rid of anyone and anything standing between him and the top of the CFB world and that must come from getting rid of dead weight and installing werewolves both on the field and in his staff.

Advertisement
What perplexes me is that if it's true that Manny had to step in and call the defense towards the end of the game - didn't that happen last season also? - how is that not a glaring red flag that the DC isn't doing his job? In other words, if Manny felt like Baker wasn't doing a good job and had to step in, how is that not grounds for dismissal?

He takes over and does the guy's job, then lets him go back to calling the D next game? Makes no sense.

What perplexes me is that if it's true that Manny had to step in and call the defense towards the end of the game - didn't that happen last season also? - how is that not a glaring red flag that the DC isn't doing his job? In other words, if Manny felt like Baker wasn't doing a good job and had to step in, how is that not grounds for dismissal?

He takes over and does the guy's job, then lets him go back to calling the D next game? Makes no sense.
IF that's true, I completely agree. We can't have another D'Onofrio situation, where the HC is in love with his DC and would rather hurt the team and get fired, than remove the worst DC in major CFB. We've had a belly full of that sort of weakness and can't do that anymore.

I think Baler will be gone. Whether or not Rumph goes might depend on the new DC.
Any DC worth a sHT wouldn’t want Rumph within 100 miles of his players...most DC are left to fill out their own staffs for the most part and don’t forget Manny tried to fire him already so hiring a new DC would be an easy way to run his *** up the road.

Any DC worth a sHT wouldn’t want Rumph within 100 miles of his players...most DC are left to fill out their own staffs for the most part and don’t forget Manny tried to fire him already so hiring a new DC would be an easy way to run his *** up the road.
In the past, I felt like we had enough evidence of him training his CB's to overcome his lack of recruiting, but this year, all we have is bad recruiting AND poorly trained and skilled DB's. We need fresh blood in the D staff.

Advertisement
In the past, I felt like we had enough evidence of him training his CB's to overcome his lack of recruiting, but this year, all we have is bad recruiting AND poorly trained and skilled DB's. We need fresh blood in the D staff.
It’s been bad but what I witnessed last night was just plain awful.If we’d of been playing a decent QB they’d have rung up 80 on our ***.I mean there were times like we were playing 8 on 11 cause there was always 2-3 WRs just running wide open.

and the next time one of or CBS looks back for the ball it will be the first time.

Look; I’m not a Manny fan, and this 6-1 start doesn’t have me convinced, just like I wasn’t convinced on Golden. However, if he goes into a CEO role, and gets rid of that defensive staff, maybe sans Banda, and we hire a true defensive mind to run that side, I will be more convinced that Manny may indeed be the guy.

Look; I’m not a Manny fan, and this 6-1 start doesn’t have me convinced, just like I wasn’t convinced on Golden. However, if he goes into a CEO role, and gets rid of that defensive staff, maybe sans Banda, and we hire a true defensive mind to run that side, I will be more convinced that Manny may indeed be the guy.
Well said, and I think true.

Advertisement
Here's a question, why in the **** is so hard to just tell BABY BAKER, you ain't cuttin it. Bye bye please explain.
I don't know for sure, but it smells of the old Golden/D'Onofrio fiasco. Loyalty on a coaching staff MUST be predicated on results and not off the field friendships. So far, Manny has shown the ability to cut his losses, let's hope it continues. In the meanby, he needs to take over the D for the rest of the season.

• Unlike many on this board, I'm not certain that Manny isn't the coach we need. He greatly improved the team over this last season and until I get a sense that he's a pulling a Coker/Shannon/Golden/Richt and not realizing that systemic changes to the team need to be made, I will ride with him and give my full support.
  • He flushed out the entire O side of the ball and although not perfect, it does look like it's working. We are vastly better on that side of the ball.
  • Usually, but not always, your first gut instinct is correct, but you just have to let it play out. Thus is the case with Blake and the rest of the D staff. I've been a Rumph hold out, but now I realize we need a complete reset of our D coaches, just as we did the O coaches last offseason. With the lone possible exception of Banda, this D staff has to go!
  • Stroud - apparently he's a strong recruiter, but one thing is glaringly clear: he is NOT a good DL coach. I've been banging that drum since 3rd game last season and was told to shut up, I didn't know what I was talking about with Stroud, etc., etc. Fast forward to today and I think it's clear to most long time CFB viewers and long time Cane fans, that our DL plays with great effort, but not with great skill or strategy. We need someone to teach these talented DL how to play their positions and do so effectively. What we lose in recruiting without Stroud, will be more than made up for with W's and on field results. We've seen enough game tape; he's gotta go or be reassigned to recruiting coordinator.
  • There is absolutely NO REASON for us to still be logging in 8 penalties in the 1st half of a game against mother freaking NCST!!! As I mentioned earlier, I'm still riding with Manny (for the moment), but he's GOT to instill more discipline into his team. Manny is still going through HC growing pains and that's fine, but eventually, he has to get our guys to play with more discipline and awareness.
  • I have no evidence of this, but unless we had some unprecedented end to this season, that even my overly optimistic mind can't conceive, I do think we get Lashlee one more year. If we can pair him with a good DC, we will be lined up to have a very special season in 2021'.
  • Lashlee - I've picked on him a little this season, so I want to give him credit as well when it's due. He called a really great game last night. There was only one play that made me question it out loud to my TV, but other than that, he seems to be improving and adjusting to his talent throughout the season.
  • WR's - it's amazing what pressure, competition (from youngsters) and accountability will do for your WR's. Assuming we keep Likens for one more year (don't see why we wouldn't), I predict our WR's will continue to improve and become championship quality.
  • Going forward and for the good of our team, Blake needs to be a lameduck DC for the rest of the season with Manny taking over. If the rumors of Manny taking over in the 4th quarter are true, we need that for the rest of the season and especially for the VT and UNC games. Manny needs to take over that unit and honestly, he ought to just fire Blake so there aren't any mixed messages or a vacuum in direction and leadership. The D is too important and we've made too much progress as a team this year on the field and in recruiting, to just give away a couple of games on account of the D because we were waiting to make changes in the offseason. I mean, criminey! We still have a decent shot at ending in the top 5-7 after the bowls and we even have a microscopic chance of making it to the playoffs.
  • Speaking of crazy talk - after last night's defensive debacle, this truly is lunatic talk, but I suppose you lads have come to expect that from me so here goes: we actually have a shot at the playoffs if we DON'T make it to the ACCCHGM. This assumes we win out, which seems very iffy at best, but could still happen (especially if Manny stops futzing around and takes over the D henceforth), with the SEC teams tallying 2 losses, the PAC just starting play in Nov., the B12 being the joke that it is and B1G sending only the *'s to the playoffs, it's unlikely, but not impossible, that a 10-1 Miami team might fall backward into the playoffs. Like I said, it's kooky talk, but 2020 might see the 1st playoffs where the ACC send 2 teams.
OP great write up, however Banda is replaceable

Advertisement
To this day, I'm not entirely sure that if Golden had gotten rid of Donuts and hired a good DC, he wouldn't have grown into the job. Instead, Al literally threw his coaching career away for his good ole pal, D'onfrio. One of the most remarkable things I've ever seen play out.

Exactly not sure he can cut his butt buddies on D tho.... he makes the change I’m back in but as of now ehhhh

I don't know for sure, but it smells of the old Golden/D'Onofrio fiasco. Loyalty on a coaching staff MUST be predicated on results and not off the field friendships. So far, Manny has shown the ability to cut his losses, let's hope it continues. In the meanby, he needs to take over the D for the rest of the season.
Unreal on how they would sarcrafise our football team to the buddy system. That is so sick. The BOOSTERS and alumni need to step in. Does ED REED have any say so

Advertisement
Back