Manny on with Orlando this morning

These are the only people who can do anything about our current situation:

GOLDEN CANES

The Golden Cane Society, consisting of the most prolific donors of the Hurricane Club, took their annual football trip this weekend to Nebraska.

UM chartered a plane for 150 people — 75 Golden Canes and their guests, said UM associate athletic director for development Jesse Marks, who organized the trip.

A UM spokesman said UM sold 3,850 tickets to the Nebraska game, though more UM fans were expected to buy tickets from other outlets.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/acc/university-of-miami/article2188151.html#storylink=cpy

Advertisement
Here is my over-analytical thought process as to what is and has been going on behind the scenes.

Golden knows his time is up. The BOT knows his time is up. It is simply a matter of who will blink first. I am sure the "more issues than simply firing golden" have to do with 1. His buyout and 2. some language in his contract that prohibits anyone from firing any member of his staff.

Having said that, I am sure the BOT wants D'Nof fired and is putting pressure on Golden to fire his buddy. Golden isn't going to fire his buddy and is basically daring the BOT to fire him and have to pay him his buyout and his coordinator's buyout's which are presumably much smaller.

Golden is done here. He is checked out and knows that no matter what he does here, will he be able to turn the perception around; simply due to his lack of ability to do so. He will continue to do what he has proceeded to do here for the last (4) years, and dare the BOT to fire him.

I will tell you one thing, he is willing to hedge his coaching career on his friendship - albeit to the tune of millions of dollars. Nonetheless, his friendship to D'Nof is sacred and he will not risk losing his friend over a job. Much to my and the entire Miami fanbase's dismay.

the school will not be able to afford to keep AlFraud

That's essentially what I'm saying. We can't afford it either way. We can't afford the buyout, and we can't afford to have 8,000 people in the stands. It's like when you kept betting and then realized your hand is going to lose. You stop the bleeding. Getting rid of Al Golden stops the bleeding.

Starting in 2002,[50] UM conducted a fundraising campaign titled "Momentum: The Campaign for the University of Miami" that ultimately raised $1.37 billion,[51] the most money raised by any college in Florida as of February 8, 2008.[52] Of that amount, $854 million went to the medical campus

With more than 13,000 full and part-time faculty and staff,[10] UM is the sixth largest employer in Miami-Dade County.[11]
Research is a component of each academic division, with UM attracting $346.6 million per year in sponsored research grants.

UM subsidizes the athletic department no different than any other university and based on some of the numbers I've seen the athletic department relies heavily on the other departments for funding. That being said, there is no shortage of finances to buy out Golden or Pay top dollar for a new coach.. Its just a matter of the President and the AD being on the same page when it comes to the football teams success.

That's essentially what I'm saying. We can't afford it either way. We can't afford the buyout, and we can't afford to have 8,000 people in the stands. It's like when you kept betting and then realized your hand is going to lose. You stop the bleeding. Getting rid of Al Golden stops the bleeding.

Starting in 2002,[50] UM conducted a fundraising campaign titled "Momentum: The Campaign for the University of Miami" that ultimately raised $1.37 billion,[51] the most money raised by any college in Florida as of February 8, 2008.[52] Of that amount, $854 million went to the medical campus

With more than 13,000 full and part-time faculty and staff,[10] UM is the sixth largest employer in Miami-Dade County.[11]
Research is a component of each academic division, with UM attracting $346.6 million per year in sponsored research grants.

UM subsidizes the athletic department no different than any other university and based on some of the numbers I've seen the athletic department relies heavily on the other departments for funding. That being said, there is no shortage of finances to buy out Golden or Pay top dollar for a new coach.. Its just a matter of the President and the AD being on the same page when it comes to the football teams success.

It's nice to post the amount of money that was raised in the Momentum campaign, but not a penny of it can be used on athletics. Donations like that are earmarked for a specific purpose.

The athletic department is expected to sustain itself. The reason why we say we can't afford a buyout is because the athletic department isn't sitting on a pile of a cash, nor does it earn a substantial profit, if any at all.

Advertisement
Eff Manny....Listen to the Sean Salisbury interview. Dude lit up these coaches....Said he or a mummy could walk in and build a winner in SFL in one off-season.

It's nice to post the amount of money that was raised in the Momentum campaign, but not a penny of it can be used on athletics. Donations like that are earmarked for a specific purpose.

The athletic department is expected to sustain itself. The reason why we say we can't afford a buyout is because the athletic department isn't sitting on a pile of a cash, nor does it earn a substantial profit, if any at all.

You are wrong, the athletic dept is not self sustaining, they rely on subsidies from other department. Here is a link from 2010-11 year breakdown for the ACChttp://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2012/3/20/2880533/financial-comparison-acc-athletic-department-budgets-10-11

Here is my over-analytical thought process as to what is and has been going on behind the scenes.

Golden knows his time is up. The BOT knows his time is up. It is simply a matter of who will blink first. I am sure the "more issues than simply firing golden" have to do with 1. His buyout and 2. some language in his contract that prohibits anyone from firing any member of his staff.

Having said that, I am sure the BOT wants D'Nof fired and is putting pressure on Golden to fire his buddy. Golden isn't going to fire his buddy and is basically daring the BOT to fire him and have to pay him his buyout and his coordinator's buyout's which are presumably much smaller.

Golden is done here. He is checked out and knows that no matter what he does here, will he be able to turn the perception around; simply due to his lack of ability to do so. He will continue to do what he has proceeded to do here for the last (4) years, and dare the BOT to fire him.

I will tell you one thing, he is willing to hedge his coaching career on his friendship - albeit to the tune of millions of dollars. Nonetheless, his friendship to D'Nof is sacred and he will not risk losing his friend over a job. Much to my and the entire Miami fanbase's dismay.

I think you're right. Golden knows the gig is up and seeing him after this presser confirms it. He doesn't know how to fix the mess he's created and obviously won't fire donofrio.

Advertisement
crossover22[]_[];1994716 said:
I keep saying because of his contract he will be around another year. Bet on it.

He will be forced to fire his butt buddy but it will be played off as him stepping down. Or leaving for family reasons. He will be forced to change the scheme.

I love that we have so many contract experts in here with access to private information regarding AlFrauds contract.

I have no idea why you all think that we will keep the worst coaching staff in D1 and the worst in CANES history on for a 5th year.

Because if Golden was under ANY actual pressure from BOT's he would have fired D'ino last summer. He didn't which leads me to believe they are happy with the team as is.

word on da skreets is that he did get pressure to fire Dorito but wouldnt budge. he had a lot of good will on his side from #thecloud and had leverage.

that is all gone now and its too late to serve up Dorito as a sacrificial lamb.

i dont think that some of you realize how bad this is. recruiting will completely fall apart. no one will come to play for this Fraud. he has to be fired.

hs school coaches are starting to tell their kids to go to a different school for better coaching. also, not sure if its true but apparently golden is trying to run or micro manage offense too. i think coley might stay with a new HC.
Fire him, name coley or ice interim. Hire the new coach who can start recruiting.

Advertisement
I love how Salisbury tore into the situation at Miami.

With passion no less. This is not Hurricane football....it irks me when folks say this isn't the 80's or 90's and we hear how CFB has changed. But SFL football hasn't and Miami isn't playing anything that resembles Miami or SFL.

hs school coaches are starting to tell their kids to go to a different school for better coaching. also, not sure if its true but apparently golden is trying to run or micro manage offense too. i think coley might stay with a new HC.
Fire him, name coley or ice interim. Hire the new coach who can start recruiting.

all of this. Coley will probably stay on with the next staff for recruiting purposes. dude is the only reason our recruiting doesnt look like Randy a la 2010

Advertisement
I don't get where this urban legend, this unfounded myth came from that University of Miami does not have the money to pay a coaches salary. The university does not have a cash flow issue and has not had one since 1932 to be exact. We did not have an issue paying Randy Shannon, or Perry Clark..We can build anything we want whenever we want. We spent nearly 900 million on a hospital to train doctors. We can easily raise the money or even borrow to build a stadium for 200-300 million if we wanted one, but that's not important to the people that make the decisions. We've had two presidents in Tad Foote and Donna Shalala whose interests leaned solely towards the academic improvements and achievements of the University rather than the athletics department. That my friends is the only reason we do not spend the money, it doesn't mean that we don't have it.

The only way this happens is if someone ponies up. Timing is also bad as Shalala will not want to fire him on the way out the door, and the new President won't do it on the way in. Unfortunately this is the reality. BTW, there is limited money for both a buyout and a $3-4M type of hire. It's why a Butch hire could very well ge traction. He would I'd guess come back to the U at a lower number. He's more likely to want money for assistants, although I have heard he's got a group of coaches ready to go. These include some names nobody has likely heard of, from so odd places. Real bright football minds, who frankly don't need huge bucks to come to UM. Butch is smart, he knows UM can't have a $5M budget for assistants, so he's indentifying bright young talent that will come at a reasonable price.

Here is a link that shows subsidies paid to each team in 2013, Miami was paid nearly 8 million in subsidies which is determined by the school administration. These subsidies are taken from other departments in order to fund the athletics. http://b2.caspio.com/dp.asp?AppKey=900c1000ea466e223e104a22814a

You may be looking at Memphis' line. Miami is a private school and doesn't disclose such information. Says on the bottom: "Private colleges declined to release their forms."

Football programs for most schools are self-sustaining and subsidizes other non-profit generating sports. If the school provides subsidy to the football program, the funds probably comes from unrestricted donations or designated donations for the sport/sports.

I don't get where this urban legend, this unfounded myth came from that University of Miami does not have the money to pay a coaches salary. The university does not have a cash flow issue and has not had one since 1932 to be exact. We did not have an issue paying Randy Shannon, or Perry Clark..We can build anything we want whenever we want. We spent nearly 900 million on a hospital to train doctors. We can easily raise the money or even borrow to build a stadium for 200-300 million if we wanted one, but that's not important to the people that make the decisions. We've had two presidents in Tad Foote and Donna Shalala whose interests leaned solely towards the academic improvements and achievements of the University rather than the athletics department. That my friends is the only reason we do not spend the money, it doesn't mean that we don't have it.

900 million was restricted donation to the medical school/hospital. You can't cross funds in not-for-profits. Besides, the 900 million is just a promise. Some of it for over long periods of time that the school may or may not be able to collect the whole amount for. To think that UM has all the money to do everything is incorrect. It has to go and call all the rich donors to pony up more money, which is easier to accomplish when the product on the field is top notch. We are definitely not that right now.

Advertisement
Back