Manny on the Offense

I wish someone would recite this to him.

“In terms of establishing the identity of what we’re going to be on offense and what that vision should be, it’s very similar to what we’ve been on defense. We came here three years ago and set a vision of how the Miami Hurricanes play defense and what, in my mind, fits best for the talent that’s available to us here in South Florida and those are all the things we talked about on the radio three years ago, about playing fast and physical and violent,” Diaz told WQAM’s Joe Rose and the Sun Sentinel’s Dave Hyde during a radio appearance Monday morning.

“We can recruit guys to play offense at the University of Miami that can do the same thing. And it goes beyond just simple ‘How do you call a play?’ or whatever. It’s going to be a global culture of how we have to operate. So, yes, the people that I have in mind will be people that will share that vision and again, basically give us the ability to, when you watch us play, I’m going to say the same thing I said three years ago, you’re going to say, ‘Oh, I know that. That’s the Miami Hurricanes who I’m watching. I recognize that bunch right there.’ That’s really paramount on the to-do list.”

Advertisement
It's a losing battle. Keep him as a blocker to buy yourself more time or don't and get sacked in 1.3 seconds.

Maybe we should go into more 12 personnel with Irvin as the second TE and have him block and let Brevin run the routes. But everyone hates when we don't spread the field so I dunno what the solution is.

Run 12 from shotgun and put the wrs in twins spread wide.

You can move Brevin all over. Slot, h back, in-line, twins te.

You can keep him in and send Irvin on a route occasionally to break tendency and keep the defense honest.

Running inside zone with our best blocking tes could get a bit more push. Brevin can kick out defensive ends but has trouble holding the outside zone block for too long. You can’t waste time running to his side. They want to attack the outside with zone and power runs, but they take too long. DJ broke the run against Florida running underneath Brevin because he got downhill in a hurry.

We are square pegging guys to a system and not creatively using our players specific skills in combination with each other.

We don’t need a ton of new plays. Just some simple concepts that we can rotate between different formations and personnel groupings to be less predictable and do what we do best.

What we do best is run down hill and taking short passes for extra yards. Enos would rather beat his head against the wall randomly throwing plays at the wall.

Run 12 from shotgun and put the wrs in twins spread wide.

You can move Brevin all over. Slot, h back, in-line, twins te.

You can keep him in and send Irvin on a route occasionally to break tendency and keep the defense honest.

Running inside zone with our best blocking tes could get a bit more push. Brevin can kick out defensive ends but has trouble holding the outside zone block for too long. You can’t waste time running to his side. They want to attack the outside with zone and power runs, but they take too long. DJ broke the run against Florida running underneath Brevin because he got downhill in a hurry.

We are square pegging guys to a system and not creatively using our players specific skills in combination with each other.

We don’t need a ton of new plays. Just some simple concepts that we can rotate between different formations and personnel groupings to be less predictable and do what we do best.

What we do best is run down hill and taking short passes for extra yards. Enos would rather beat his head against the wall randomly throwing plays at the wall.
How would you describe Enos's system and his misuse of our players? Also, knowing our extreme limitations -- OL, QB (N'Kosi all around terrible and Jarren's inability to throw the deep ball), inconsistency at WR -- how should he be compensating for it?

I understand that the offense is pathetic right now, but with Kosi these past 3 games I'm seeing terrible reads and poor passing. With Jarren we at least had an identity of sorts (RPO and quick throws leading to a high completion %). Jarren's injury has really been unfortunate because the offense has plummeted these past 3 weeks and I don't think it's a coincidence.

How would you describe Enos's system and his misuse of our players? Also, knowing our extreme limitations -- OL, QB (N'Kosi all around terrible and Jarren's inability to throw the deep ball), inconsistency at WR -- how should he be compensating for it?

I understand that the offense is pathetic right now, but with Kosi these past 3 games I'm seeing terrible reads and poor passing. With Jarren we at least had an identity of sorts (RPO and quick throws leading to a high completion %). Jarren's injury has really been unfortunate because the offense has plummeted these past 3 weeks and I don't think it's a coincidence.

Make the inside zone the foundation of the run game and build from there. Add some option components with the jet sweep motion. Run playaction and rpo off of it with the emphasis on at least two short breaking routes.

Cam and DJ should have been on the field together in 20 personnel and you can move DJ araound. Fake the zone handoff and send the other on a swing. Motion DJ to the slot and screen. There were lots of simple options here. Putting Brevin in the slot in 20 makes you formidable running and throwing.

We need much more stop routes, crosses, drags, and slants. Running two of these routes together beats man and zone. If it’s zone, just sit down in the gaps.

The point has to be scheming up quick easy completions on first down to keep us out of passing downs and get the quarterback in rhythm, whether it is N’Kosi or Jarren.

Then run DOWN HILL. We throw way too much on second and medium and it is one of the reasons we can’t get the run game going.

Taking the easy money CONSISTENTLY on first down will force second level defenders to actually read plays and not cheat. That extra split second will get us running better on 1st down, but we can’t keep shooting ourseleves in the foot with the east west plays.

When they come up to take away the short passes, the deep routes come open earlier. If we establish rhythm better, we will hit more.

There is much more, but that would be a novel.

Short quick passing to open the run game and take the deep shots after establishing rhythm and confidence. Use mostly spread and create mismatches by using your personnel. Irvin for blocking, Brevin, Mallory, and Dj in the slot. Triple option with a motioning pitchman.

These are things to add on top of what we do well, so it’s a natural progression. Don’t need 100 new plays. Just add elements to what we are doing to account for strengths and weaknesses.

Advertisement
Thomas ran open the first 3 games and wasnt used. Mike has been open and not used. Then you have a great receiving back in deejay. Brevin and kj.

There are plenty of weapons to beat these scrub teams we are playing.

And to add to this, while that touchdown pass was on point to k.j. osborn, jw15 actually made the harder/almost unecessary throw, because he had 1 man trying to guard brevin and harley, both were coming wide open. Its easy to see jarren basically works one has of the field. Him standing on the sidelines watching perry may have actually made him understand if he runs, he needs to go forward, that was his best scramble all year. As for me personally, i'd still go with perry for this Fsu game, and if perry struggles make the switch, cause if Fsu knows they are going to be preparing for jw15, that V-tech tape will be on deck real quick, them Fsu boys already know they cant get into perry's head, jw15 yeah he played the gaytors, but Fsu week is a whole nother ball game, i dont trust em myself. If their was ever a time for him to win the starting job outright, this is the game that either one of them might be able to do it.

Coach diaz is dealing with exactly what coach richt waa dealing with, going to be real interesting this week,as long as the defense shows up, i expect alot of trickery come this week, baker better bring the noise and no more of those stale blitzes he likes to dial up, the 4th & 17 imbecile call!

Advertisement
Back