Manny on Recruiting and the University of Miami

Advertisement
Here's the short clip from the Barry Jackson article:

A local high school coach elaborated this week, citing these are two requirements conveyed by UM:
  1. If a player is going to commit, there must be oral confirmation from the player and a parent.
  2. Players who have orally committed to UM have been strongly advised by UM not to take any more visits after the last week of camp season (summer of their senior years). If you do visit after the summer of your senior year, you leave yourself open to being dropped or replaced by UM.

So according to the Herald tonight, two of the new parameters that will apply to recruits are the following:

1. Parent or guardian will have to be present with the recruit to make a verbal commitment in person to the coach/Manny

2. If a player commits, he will be told that visits to other schools after the last day of camps before his senior year are discouraged. If a recruit commits and takes other visits after this time he understands UM may revoke his scholarship or fill it with another player

This was related to the reporter from a local coach
This is very reasonable and smart imo

This is EXACTLY what I’ve been preaching the coaches and fans/community should do with local recruiting. Put value back on the UM scholarship by not allowing 16 year old kids and leech pimps punk you out. If you approach this **** with the weakness I see from the pvssies in here then you’ll never dig out of the rut.

If you act like you can’t take a firm stance with recruits because you haven’t won enough lately then you’ll never be a winner again. Keep acting like a bytch and they’ll keep treating us like a bytch. If we’re good enough for guys like Brevin, Lo, Chaney, and Deejay to commit and be UM ambassador, then we’re good enough for anyone else.

And the fans need to become more territorial and hardcore and stop this limp-wristed “it’s just football and kids need to go where they want” mentality. If you punk the local school or chase bags then don’t come back here looking for work or anything else after college. Take more pride in your community and quit being KKK groupies and sell out bytches.

If you’re a UM fan have some fcking pride and backbone and be more territorial. Quit trying to be so evolved and detached because you just look and sound like gutless pvssies.
Exactly

Doesn't want commits taking visits, but lives on the portal transfers, can't have it both ways.

Advertisement

A local high school coach elaborated this week, citing these are two requirements conveyed by UM:
  1. If a player is going to commit, there must be oral confirmation from the player and a parent.
  2. Players who have orally committed to UM have been strongly advised by UM not to take any more visits after the last week of camp season (summer of their senior years). If you do visit after the summer of your senior year, you leave yourself open to being dropped or replaced by UM.
So if they’re committed they can take other visits all the way through August of their senior year? That’s nothing. I’d make it stronger than that. We’re basically telling them they can’t take other visits for 3 months before early signing.

Doesn't want commits taking visits, but lives on the portal transfers, can't have it both ways.
4C506FED-94A6-4AA4-8CA1-D5F7296F818C.gif

So if they’re committed they can take other visits all the way through August of their senior year? That’s nothing. I’d make it stronger than that. We’re basically telling them they can’t take other visits for 3 months before early signing.
I think they’re worried about the summer camps and they don’t want to stop kids from attending them. Does the Clem$on ban on taking other visits include no other camp attendances?

Advertisement
I think they’re worried about the summer camps and they don’t want to stop kids from attending them. Does the Clem$on ban on taking other visits include no other camp attendances?

Good question. I would say yes given that kids that commit to them essentially disappear from the recruiting landscape. They seem to show up at their games and their events and that's about it.

I'm okay with this plan as a starting point. I think they have to stop taking commitments from Sophomores (and younger). Perhaps this new philosophy will naturally reduce the number of kids who try to give them.

I’m not sure what Clemson does, but I doubt it’s that lenient. We’ve basically put a meaningless rule in place. If you’re committed here then take all the visits you want, but don’t take any for the 3 month period before you sign while you’re busy with your football season anyway.

This recruiting is a slippery slope and always has been for us. That said, and it cannot be said enough, winning pretty much cures all of this stuff. Again, its no coincidence that the top 5 schools perennially over the last 5 years are ALWAYS in the top 5-10 recruiting rankings. (Bama, Clemson, UGA, OSU, OU) Its no coincidence that the last time we had a 10 win season we had a top 10 class with legit superstars in it. (2017)

I am hoping at this moment, Manny is game-planning for the 3 game home stretch run of UVA, VT, and GT which will ultimately decide our season and how this fanbase feels about him going into Nov. If he goes 3-0 at home against those opponents the tide will surely turn in his favor in all things including recruiting.

Advertisement
This recruiting is a slippery slope and always has been for us. That said, and it cannot be said enough, winning pretty much cures all of this stuff. Again, its no coincidence that the top 5 schools perennially over the last 5 years are ALWAYS in the top 5-10 recruiting rankings. (Bama, Clemson, UGA, OSU, OU) Its no coincidence that the last time we had a 10 win season we had a top 10 class with legit superstars in it. (2017)

I am hoping at this moment, Manny is game-planning for the 3 game home stretch run of UVA, VT, and GT which will ultimately decide our season and how this fanbase feels about him going into Nov. If he goes 3-0 at home against those opponents the tide will surely turn in his favor in all things including recruiting.

Shannon got the nation's #1 recruiting class in 2008 after we were 12-13 in 2006-2007. The #2 recruiting class that year was Notre Dame, which had gone 3-9 in 2007.

Sometimes, teams that aren't any good actually can do well in recruiting.

Nothing wrong with that. He didnt tell kids they couldnt take visits. They just cant commit and take visits. If u wanna take visits then dont commit. Good for miami because every year miami gets left at the alter of kids who they thought were coming. Kid still taking visits then miami still recruiting

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back