Manny Navarro's interview with TVD

Advertisement
I dont think everything was TVD's fault last year, however, I will say this: his body language and facial expressions during games last year were the worst Ive seen out of a QB, maybe ever. And in my view, given the role of a QB, TVD has to realize how he comports himself, and his mood has a real impact on others

Thats one thing I hope the staff spoke to him about

Not everything will be perfect all the time. But that's when your leaders cant be Debbie Downers
This is what I was saying about his leadership abilities. You didn’t see it on the field and the article just hinted at it. He blamed the the negative attitude of other players once they got down by even 7 as defeated. As the leader of the team you’re supposed to have a foot up a teammates a$$ for that. Then pushing the playing with injuries on the coaches. Plus like another poster side. Gattis didn’t lose accuracy, forget touch and how to lead receivers, but most importantly stare down his receiver or route on too many occasions to count. I’m praying he had a breakthrough with this QB coaching clinic he worked with and gels with the new OC but with the ability to call audible plays he sees comes even less excuses.

This is what I was saying about his leadership abilities. You didn’t see it on the field and the article just hinted at it. He blamed the the negative attitude of other players once they got down by even 7 as defeated. As the leader of the team you’re supposed to have a foot up a teammates a$$ for that. Then pushing the playing with injuries on the coaches. Plus like another poster side. Gattis didn’t lose accuracy, forget touch and how to lead receivers, but most importantly stare down his receiver or route on too many occasions to count. I’m praying he had a breakthrough with this QB coaching clinic he worked with and gels with the new OC but with the ability to call audible plays he sees comes even less excuses.
He made more accurate, clutch throws under duress his sophomore year it’s unfair to say he was running for his life. It was like he forgot to stand in the pocket, make progressions, and shoot the gun.

He stared down receivers or primary reads, felt pressure then bailed. We can go back and watch games as announcers say “TVD is going to wish he had that one over, pick receiver or RB was wide open for the easy first down or over the middle or deep on the opposite side.

Advertisement
Where did you come up with this gem "He blamed the the negative attitude of other players once they got down by even 7 as defeated". Man, the crap people make on this site to support their OPINION.

So Michigan fans love him in 2023 because of his awesomeness at Michigan or being The Goat in the NFL…. Yea it was the Michigan playing days …
Nah, it was the fact Brady saved an uber-talented Michigan team every single time it **** the bed under Henson.

And yet, Brady was constantly questioned by coaches and boosters as a starter and therefore, he wanted to get out.

Regardless of well loved he is there, he wanted to get out of there more than once. Thats the point. Football players are selfish and they care about themselves, especially, when the chance of playing in the NFL is on the horizon.

Advertisement
Yeah well
He looked pretty good in the spring game with a new offense.

I'm riding with that, he has shown the ability to throw dimes down the field in actual football games.

Regardless if he listened to suitors during off-season, regardless if he has lacked leadership in the past, regardless if his golf handicap went down but his turnovers went up last year, he is our best option this season to win as many games.

He made more accurate, clutch throws under duress his sophomore year it’s unfair to say he was running for his life. It was like he forgot to stand in the pocket, make progressions, and shoot the gun.

He stared down receivers or primary reads, felt pressure then bailed. We can go back and watch games as announcers say “TVD is going to wish he had that one over, pick receiver or RB was wide open for the easy first down or over the middle or deep on the opposite side.
You make a general statements and point to an announcer saying the most common phrase when a QB missed on a throw. All the film is out there, why don't you go find examples to support your thoughts. I expect you to find some as you could with every QB plus the fact I expect you to say some are when in fact they are designed that way or pre-snap reads. Then we can discuss this the right way by debating what happened on a given play and what he might have done instead. Hard to do that when you speak in generalities.

Did you know Caleb Williams had games of 44%, 52%, 54% and 59% last year? What about Drake Maye? He had games of 51%, 53%, 53% and 59% last year? Do you think the announcers might have said I wish they had one back at one time or another.

Here are TVDs ACC stats in total all his games.

Career ACC Stats (Excluding the 3 ACC games in 2022 when we was injured)
~8 Games in 2021 + 2 Injury Free games in 2022: 10 Games, 63.4% for 3,508 yards, 351 ypg, 27 TDs, 7 ints. Annualized to 12 games plus a bowl game is 4,560 yards, 35 TDs.

~If you exclude his first 2 career starts (VA and UNC in '21). So last 6 in '21 and 2 injury free games in '22: 8 Games, 66.9% for 3,041 yards, 380 YPG, 25 TDs, 4 int. Annualized to full season plus a bowl game is 4,942 yards and 41 TDs.

2021 by Game:
~CCSU: 10-11, 91% for 270 yards, 3 TD, 0 Int. 1 incomplete was a drop on a post that would have been a TD. Inferior team but he was perfect

~VA Home: 15-29, 52% for 203 yards, 1 TD, 0 Int. 1st ACC start, Lashlee held him back in first half. Brought team back to win game but kick hit upright.

~UNC Away: 20-45, 44% for 264 yards, 1 TD, 3 Int. 1st away start, bad first half. Played great in 2nd half and had team in position to win if not for a missed block by the center that lead to a tipped pass and int.

~NCST Home: 25-33, 76% for 325 yards, 4 TD, 0 Int.
~Pitt Away: 32-42, 76% for 426 yards, 3 TD, 1 Int.
~GT Home: 22-34, 65% for 389 yards, 3 TD, 0 Int.

~FSU Away: 25-47, 53% for 316 yards, 4 TD, 2 Int. 1st game in front of a massive hostel crowd. Difficult start but brought team back to win but Diaz joked.

~VT Home: 19-33, 58% for 357 yards, 3 TD, 0 Int. Rain game
~Duke Away: 34-49, 69% for 381 yards, 3 TD, 0 Int.

2022 (Gattis Ball) by Game:
~B. Cookman Home: 13-16, 81% for 193 yards, 2 TD, 0 Int. Gattis did not throw ball in redzone.

~S. Miss Home: 20-29, 69% for 261 yards, 1 TD, 1 Int. Gattis did not throw ball in redzone.

~TAMU Away: 21-41, 51% 217 yards 0 TD, 0 Int. 7 drops, 4-5 thrown away, under constant pressure. Gattis play calling inside redzone was pathetic and clear that Gattis was not able to teach receivers where they were supposed to be. Missed on a few throws he should not have.

~MTSU Home: 16-32, 50% 138 yards, 1 TD, 2 Int. Have fun picking apart this game. He did not play well but the entire team sucked. MTSU also created the blue print to attacked with constant hidden pressure given Gattis' constant tight sets and inability of OL to pick it up. Just note that the first pick was a pre-snap read one step quick 5 yard out to the slot. It was picked by CB covering WR (not TE in slot) who Gattis had run the same route 1 yard apart. Pathetic formation/route combo with no ability to change play. 2nd pick would have gone for 25 yards but a heck of play by DE to tip the pass.

~ UNC Home: 42-57, 74% for 496 yards, 3 TD, 1 int (tipped pass to end game). ACC QB of the week (not Maye)
~ VT Away: 29-46, 63% for 351 yards 2 TD, 0 int.
~Duke Home (just over 1 quarter before injury): 11-16 69% for 81 yards 1 TD, 0 Int.

Nah, it was the fact Brady saved an uber-talented Michigan team every single time it **** the bed under Henson.

And yet, Brady was constantly questioned by coaches and boosters as a starter and therefore, he wanted to get out.

Regardless of well loved he is there, he wanted to get out of there more than once. Thats the point. Football players are selfish and they care about themselves, especially, when the chance of playing in the NFL is on the horizon.

I’m OK with TVD testing the market. He was able to maximize that due to failures above him…

Bottom line: he needs to step up on the field this season and Mario needs to fix the QB room.

Advertisement
You make a general statements and point to an announcer saying the most common phrase when a QB missed on a throw. All the film is out there, why don't you go find examples to support your thoughts. I expect you to find some as you could with every QB plus the fact I expect you to say some are when in fact they are designed that way or pre-snap reads. Then we can discuss this the right way by debating what happened on a given play and what he might have done instead. Hard to do that when you speak in generalities.

Did you know Caleb Williams had games of 44%, 52%, 54% and 59% last year? What about Drake Maye? He had games of 51%, 53%, 53% and 59% last year? Do you think the announcers might have said I wish they had one back at one time or another.

Here are TVDs ACC stats in total all his games.

Career ACC Stats (Excluding the 3 ACC games in 2022 when we was injured)
~8 Games in 2021 + 2 Injury Free games in 2022: 10 Games, 63.4% for 3,508 yards, 351 ypg, 27 TDs, 7 ints. Annualized to 12 games plus a bowl game is 4,560 yards, 35 TDs.

~If you exclude his first 2 career starts (VA and UNC in '21). So last 6 in '21 and 2 injury free games in '22: 8 Games, 66.9% for 3,041 yards, 380 YPG, 25 TDs, 4 int. Annualized to full season plus a bowl game is 4,942 yards and 41 TDs.

2021 by Game:
~CCSU: 10-11, 91% for 270 yards, 3 TD, 0 Int. 1 incomplete was a drop on a post that would have been a TD. Inferior team but he was perfect

~VA Home: 15-29, 52% for 203 yards, 1 TD, 0 Int. 1st ACC start, Lashlee held him back in first half. Brought team back to win game but kick hit upright.

~UNC Away: 20-45, 44% for 264 yards, 1 TD, 3 Int. 1st away start, bad first half. Played great in 2nd half and had team in position to win if not for a missed block by the center that lead to a tipped pass and int.

~NCST Home: 25-33, 76% for 325 yards, 4 TD, 0 Int.
~Pitt Away: 32-42, 76% for 426 yards, 3 TD, 1 Int.
~GT Home: 22-34, 65% for 389 yards, 3 TD, 0 Int.

~FSU Away: 25-47, 53% for 316 yards, 4 TD, 2 Int. 1st game in front of a massive hostel crowd. Difficult start but brought team back to win but Diaz joked.

~VT Home: 19-33, 58% for 357 yards, 3 TD, 0 Int. Rain game
~Duke Away: 34-49, 69% for 381 yards, 3 TD, 0 Int.

2022 (Gattis Ball) by Game:
~B. Cookman Home: 13-16, 81% for 193 yards, 2 TD, 0 Int. Gattis did not throw ball in redzone.

~S. Miss Home: 20-29, 69% for 261 yards, 1 TD, 1 Int. Gattis did not throw ball in redzone.

~TAMU Away: 21-41, 51% 217 yards 0 TD, 0 Int. 7 drops, 4-5 thrown away, under constant pressure. Gattis play calling inside redzone was pathetic and clear that Gattis was not able to teach receivers where they were supposed to be. Missed on a few throws he should not have.

~MTSU Home: 16-32, 50% 138 yards, 1 TD, 2 Int. Have fun picking apart this game. He did not play well but the entire team sucked. MTSU also created the blue print to attacked with constant hidden pressure given Gattis' constant tight sets and inability of OL to pick it up. Just note that the first pick was a pre-snap read one step quick 5 yard out to the slot. It was picked by CB covering WR (not TE in slot) who Gattis had run the same route 1 yard apart. Pathetic formation/route combo with no ability to change play. 2nd pick would have gone for 25 yards but a heck of play by DE to tip the pass.

~ UNC Home: 42-57, 74% for 496 yards, 3 TD, 1 int (tipped pass to end game). ACC QB of the week (not Maye)
~Duke Home (just over 1 quarter before injury): 11-16 69% for 81 yards 1 TD, 0 Int.
Yeah, even with Gattis as OC, TVD was starting to play well until
His shoulder injury after bye week and offense tweaks.

82 completions /119 attempts/928 yards/6 TD's/1 INT/68%

In that stretch

This has to be the only fan base who ***** all over literally the only player on our roster the program with six titles over the last decade wanted to poach.

Any sane person with professional representation would have listened to Bama. If you say you wouldn’t after that prehistoric **** show of an offensive philosophy we saw last year, you’re a liar.

This has to be the only fan base who ***** all over literally the only player on our roster the program with six titles over the last decade wanted to poach.

Any sane person with professional representation would have listened to Bama. If you say you wouldn’t after that prehistoric **** show of an offensive philosophy we saw last year, you’re a liar.

I think one issue some may have is the perception that TVD acts like he won those 6 titles for Bama…while making MTSU look like Bama

Advertisement
TVD has admitted he’s not a jump up and down, scream and yell, in your face type of guy. I’ve seen/ heard interviews with team mates that say the same thing about him.

There are different ways people can be effective leaders. We’re going to find out a lot about how effective a leader TVD can be this year.

TVD had every right to hear out Bama. It’d be objectively naive not to do so.

That said, couple that with comments about home game attendance and not developing relationships with receivers, and you can lump all those actions together.

At this point, whether there’s love lost or not, he and the program can do a lot for each other so we should all root for that to happen, even though I know there will be some “fans” rooting for his demise.

I can’t wait, CANT WAIT, for him to move on. This guy still thinks it’s the second half of 2021.

It’s 2023. Not everything was Gattis fault last year.
You'll probably get a lot of hate for this but you're not wrong. He's got great physical attributes but there is something missing on the mental side with him. If he can make a quick read and get the ball out quick, he will have success I think. He seems to really struggle when asked to go through his options if his first isn't available. Even in 2021 when he was putting up numbers, when asked to go through progressions he didn't look great. IMO, Dawson's O will be geared towards his strengths so I think he will look a lot better this year but yeah, Gattis wasn't the only issue last year for sure.

Advertisement
Back