Manny Diaz on WQAM today

Advertisement
Dan ***** with his non laminated play sheet that consists of play action upon play action upon play action with a side of beer

Folks I don't know if Manny is the answer or not, but as mentioned earlier, this program has been on downward slope for quite a while: Starting with Coker (rookie), Shannon (introverted rookie), Golden ( potential, stubborn, walked right into a investigation) Richt ( who probably was burned out). We had a corrupt NCAA trying its best to bury the U, for what, an incident with Shapiro that amounted to a few thousand bucks, that broke down to a few hundred bucks per player if that. Good grief, that is chump change in the SEC. That investigation went on forever, and to this day we still can't fill a complete 85 scholarship team. That this University Brand still has importance in college football is amazing, that ten game winning streak we had, had the college nation excited. The Brand of player we are getting is different than the dedicated ball busters we had before, but again you expect serious players to come here with the ongoing investigations, with unknown punishments looming. Folks we got what we could get, and the players were as stable, as the environment surrounding the program. What we need is stability, at least Manny is addressing the issues, and I think he is learning from his mistakes. There must be something to Manny, we just got a hot shot O.C. to come here, a proven W.R. coach that has coach 1st round talent, a O.L. coach that seems to have a good reputation, and is recruiting his butt off. I don't think these gentlemen would come if they didn't see something good here, that would enhance their careers.
People come here for the name and the brand. If they can help get Miami back on top then there really aren't many programs/NFL teams out there that wouldn't beat the door down to get that coach.

LSU is a similar brand to Miami and their passing game coordinator just became an OC at an NFL team. The allure is strong. It's not a hard sell. What is hard is following through. The guy can talk a mean game but he hasn't been able to back it up. Used car salesman.

I can completely understand there being culture problems on offense after Richt. I can understand hiring the wrong personnel and having to stick with them through the year. If those two things are true, then a big portion of the problems have and been replaced. There's no excuse for continued problems in 2020.

Advertisement
Yo u were one of the first ones to call out his defense right when he got hired.........I believed u cause u dont BS. I saw year one he got gashed but our defense was so bad any improvement and UM fans will anoint him because we saw bad for so long we didnt know what good looked like (the average fan that just watches UM games)

His defense although improved in honesty it isnt all that what people make it out to be, its highly exaggerated
Yep. I got roasted for pumping the brakes on the Manure hire in 2016. Everyone had excuses for all his failings at his various prior stops.

Great news for Lashlee is that this fan base builds statues for guys who do even a decent job. They anointed Manure as Buddy Ryan for turning a historically bad defense into a good one. Imagine what we will do for Lashlee when he gets us out of the 100s into the top 30. He'll probably start getting HC job offers pretty quickly.

Yep. I got roasted for pumping the brakes on the Manure hire in 2016. Everyone had excuses for all his failings at his various prior stops.

Great news for Lashlee is that this fan base builds statues for guys who do even a decent job. They anointed Manure as Buddy Ryan for turning a historically bad defense into a good one. Imagine what we will do for Lashlee when he gets us out of the 100s into the top 30. He'll probably start getting HC job offers pretty quickly.
A top 30 offense added with a d that should be good enough and that should be a 10-2 11-1 season.

Wait, he hired one of the best young minds in college football to save his skin?

That's your latest take? It can't possibly be he made a bad first hire, evaluated his staff like a HC should, then went out and made massive changes to greatly improve all aspects of our offense. No way that's even a possibility right?

Let me ask you, what were the Top 4 complaints last year? Don't want to tax your brain so I'll answer for you.

QB play
Offensive play calling and design
O-line play and development
WR route running and growth

Please let me know which one of those areas were not addressed and upgraded, in a huge way, this offseason.

I know you're very busy making idiot **** jokes to think this through, but put down the Schlitz Light for a second and try to focus.

If you cant then again, go away doofus.
Unfortunately, there were more than 4 problems, and the next four problems were under coaches who are Manny's guys:

5) Special teams
6) Defensive back play
7) Linebacker play
8) Situational defense

I am optimistic about the offensive changes, but candidly, those were the easy changes, just as they were a year ago. To actually take a look in the mirror and get rid of defensive guys and adjust his scheme would be the more difficult task.

Which ACC coaches have figured out his defense?

His defense for all its faults has kept us in every single game in the ACC
Benkert and UVA throwing for 400 and 4 TD's
UNC Longo's true freshman QB avg 11.5 yards / attempt and their So RB 7.6 yards / att and a TD
Virginia Tech's terrible offense scoring 37 and 42 points incl Hooker's 9 yards / att and 3 TD's to FB/TE
Duke's really bad team scoring 27 with 112th ranked offense per SP+

Miami's played against some horrible teams, especially in the ACC Coastal. Stopping the vaunted Pitt, Ga Tech, UVA, and VT offenses isn't something to brag about.

Advertisement
Yo u were one of the first ones to call out his defense right when he got hired.........I believed u cause u dont BS. I saw year one he got gashed but our defense was so bad any improvement and UM fans will anoint him because we saw bad for so long we didnt know what good looked like (the average fan that just watches UM games)

His defense although improved in honesty it isnt all that what people make it out to be, its highly exaggerated

There is plenty of blame to go around for some of our defensively porous games. The UVA game was marred by defensive mistakes. There were broken coverages, plenty of mis-tackles, players out of position, etc. It was simply the defensive play-calling was bad. I have a question for you all. Which is more important to a teams success, the scheme (play-calling) or execution?

He wasn’t trashing anybody on that interview. Gimme a break.
It really doesn't matter what any coach says. If the coach is winning then everything the coach says is correct, and if the coach is losing then everything the coach says is incorrect. The fact is that we make up reasons to like or dislike what a coach says but in reality we are commenting on the coaches record.

I'm not saying he's wrong, but Diaz has been at Miami for 4 years as a DC/HC. If it's a fixable problem, why isn't it fixed?
The issue hasn't been as big on the defensive side of the ball where he had control. The offense, well that's been unmitigated disaster and it all started in the QB room. There was no leadership and it showed.

Advertisement
There is plenty of blame to go around for some of our defensively porous games. The UVA game was marred by defensive mistakes. There were broken coverages, plenty of mis-tackles, players out of position, etc. It was simply the defensive play-calling was bad. I have a question for you all. Which is more important to a teams success, the scheme (play-calling) or execution?
They all go hand and hand.

View attachment 115944
Benkert and UVA throwing for 400 and 4 TD's
UNC Longo's true freshman QB avg 11.5 yards / attempt and their So RB 7.6 yards / att and a TD
Virginia Tech's terrible offense scoring 37 and 42 points incl Hooker's 9 yards / att and 3 TD's to FB/TE
Duke's really bad team scoring 27 with 112th ranked offense per SP+

Miami's played against some horrible teams, especially in the ACC Coastal. Stopping the vaunted Pitt, Ga Tech, UVA, and VT offenses isn't something to brag about.

We were coming off two huge games in a row going into that UVA game. The kid had a great first half but did nothing in the second, then we shut them down, turning them over multiple times including a pick six. We outscored them 30-0 to finish the game

VT scored 37 four years ago when we were playing our third game in 12 days, on the road, in a game where half our defense was out injured. The second time we have turnovers on 5 straight possessions to start the game.

The overall point is if you have to reach for these games, it shows the defense may not be great, but it's been more than good enough. Our offense is responsible for nearly all our losses.

Last edited:
Advertisement
They go hand and hand in an optimal situation. We know that is not always the case. So which is more important?
Your not going to manipulate my answer. They all go hand in hand.....in lower level of football u can stack talent like crazy. When things balance out in the NFL u need good coaching cause everyone talented.

Your not going to manipulate my answer. They all go hand in hand.....in lower level of football u can stack talent like crazy. When things balance out in the NFL u need good coaching cause everyone talented.

not trying to manipulate an answer. I asked a simple question to see which you believe is most important. BTW, I never mentioned talent, simply execution. Proper execution is why the old GT, Army and Navy still beat teams with more talent.

Most big plays are made when guys don't even line up right. Even at the college level.

Like Jerry Gordon would say:
Alignment
Assignment
Execution (Shed, Pursue, Tackle)

Advertisement
Back