Manny Diaz on Packer & Durham this morning

Advertisement
He did the exact opposite. He said he’s way ahead of schedule. By July dude is going to be running and cutting. He’ll be ready by training camp. He’s playing against Bama no way in **** he sits out a third of his final season of college football.
All for King playing against Bama, if he’s ready. This kid is built like Canes of past. He works his *** off, keeps his head in the program, and rises to the challenge. BUT, it’s about the medical science. What do the Drs, PT guys, strength coaches, position coaches, say put that input together and get a consensus on his readiness. Love he wants on the field, don’t expect less. But the facts are more important than intangibles when it comes to surgical recovery. If the facts say go, the intangibles puts him on the field to succeed. Pulling for this kid, where he goes we go. #CANESNATIONLIFER🙌🏽

If he’s physically clears to go what’s the issue? What exactly does 4 extra weeks give you. Especially if he should be full go in a practice by that time. If he’s cleared by fall camp him sitting out extra weeks does nothing at all. If he feels good and is cleared medically play him. That doesn’t mean run him 10-12 times

The additional 4 weeks would make a big difference IMO. Ask yourself this, if we didnt have Alabama in week one, would your opinion about sitting King for a few additional weeks change?

Exactly.

The reason I'd like to get the discussion going with the mindset of King being back for week 4 (Central Connecticut) is that we actually play two teams that cannot be taken lightly before that (Michigan State & App State). We wont be able to beat either of those teams without some kind of decent QB play. I think TVD and/or Garcia will get some high quality playing time in those games.

Then as I stated, let King get one tune up game against Central Connecticut where he'll likely only play the first half, getting his "sea legs" back for the UVA game the following week. It bodes poorly for the Alabama game but bodes well for the season (and program) as a whole.
At this point, the Bama game is meaningless for our Canes' achievable near term goal--just being competitive in ACCCD. Tough risk-reward calc throwing a tentative King, against that DL, WITH MIAMI'S OL "protecting" him.

Gotta think realistically here. Team needs to compartmentalize Bama matchup, compete, but not let it spiral into 0-3.

Advertisement
The additional 4 weeks would make a big difference IMO. Ask yourself this, if we didnt have Alabama in week one, would your opinion about sitting King for a few additional weeks change?
What if it was FIU?

Oh wait....

Your point is well made though. If matchup was cupcake, not many would be pining to put King on field for "meaningless" game.

At this point, the Bama game is meaningless for our Canes' achievable near term goal--just being competitive in ACCCD. Tough risk-reward calc throwing a tentative King, against that DL, WITH MIAMI'S OL "protecting" him.

Gotta think realistically here. Team needs to compartmentalize Bama matchup, compete, but not let it spiral into 0-3.

I certainly would not call the Alabama game meaningless. Quite the opposite, its quite meaningful. Not just the outcome but how the team performs as well. They've been the co-gold standard for a decade now (along with Clemson). That said, I agree with your overall sentiment. The initial goal is to win the Coastal and play for the ACC. That's why I think King would do well to sit the extra time.

Now that coach Diaz has confirmed it, perhaps my prediction that King will be back for week 4 will get some legitimate traction for discussion purposes. King will get one tune up game before we start ACC play.
Double negative.

Advertisement
I certainly would not call the Alabama game meaningless. Quite the opposite, its quite meaningful. Not just the outcome but how the team performs as well. They've been the co-gold standard for a decade now (along with Clemson). That said, I agree with your overall sentiment. The initial goal is to win the Coastal and play for the ACC. That's why I think King would do well to sit the extra time.
SF...good to call me on it.

Meaningless isn't the right word... let me re-phrase and attempt to recover from my obvious malaprop.

Play the contest 10 times, Miami at present isn't likely to even win one (settle down muppets, this isn't "moping"). Does that mean our Canes suck? No, but Richt's plan of being South Beach Jawga (exactly what he was thinking when Tide scheduled) simply didn't happen--shame Lashlee and Justice weren't on HCMR's day one staff--think about that.

The better word is misjudgement. One by both Blake and Richt. Getting embarrassed on opening day could have a knock-on effect for the next few games and heading into the Blue Devil matchup (by way of New Britain) there is a real possibility of 0-3 (App St should be a W, but they don't fear Miami at all nor should they) given last 5 years of history. Beating Bama, while great, as ZERO effect on ACCCD or ACCCG--those are the prizes our Orange and Green can strive for.

Based on that, is it worth to risk King on day one, behind this OL? Manuela needs to realize far more risk than reward.

Last edited:
Your take has merit but the reality is we’ve got Bama week one. And you know **** well that IF King is cleared by the docs he’ll play. It should give the team more confidence and send a message we’re in it to win it.

Risk vs reward.

Advertisement
Dude it’s 2021. Do you really think a “team doctor” is gonna make the call on a player like King coming off acl surgery ?
If he's practicing, then his knee is physically healed. As soon as he goes back out there taking reps, you'll know his knee is physically healed.

You guys make this stuff way more complicated than it is. They'll look at an MRI to see if everything is structurally sound, they'll test the strength and movement in the knee, and they'll clear him. Then, it'll be up to King if he trusts it or not. The mental part is harder for some guys than the healing.

If he's practicing, then his knee is physically healed. As soon as he goes back out there taking reps, you'll know his knee is physically healed.

You guys make this stuff way more complicated than it is. They'll look at an MRI to see if everything is structurally sound, they'll test the strength and movement in the knee, and they'll clear him. Then, it'll be up to King if he trusts it or not. The mental part is harder for some guys than the healing.

I think some of these dudes think it’s 1977 and the team doctor is smoking a cig while shooting King’s knee with lydocaine in the locker room at half time.

Like you said, if he’s playing he’s healthy enough. If King trusts it is another story.

He might leave that game on crutches if he’s not careful

Where is this bizarre **** coming from? Alabama got some recent history of putting opposing QBs into funeral homes I don’t know about?

Matt Corral has a 7 minute highlight tape against those dudes. They made Kyle Trask a household name. Pump the brakes on this notion that Bama is the 70s steel curtain or some nonsense where they just decapitate QBs every week.

Advertisement
Why are conference games more important than Alabama?

If by some miracle we were able to beat Alabama, that would transform the program. That would get the whole country's attention, not to mention a ****load of recruits attention.

Now if we beat NC State, who really gives a ****? I would way rather beat Alabama and lose to NC State than the opposite.

The Alabama game is way more important because of the impact it can have on our program. You want to be the best, you gotta beat the best. Bottom line.

When VaTech beat eventual NC champion OSU, did it transform the program that year, or ever?

Don’t bother answering, I’ll give you the answer: NO

The gobblers went on the have a bad season, even we beat them that year, and Ohio State went on to win the national championship. I can’t remember the exact year, it was about like seven or eight years ago. Did nothing for Virginia Tech.

Beating one team, no matter who it is, especially early in the season, doesn’t transform a program.

Transforming a program comes from consistently winning, and doing all those myriad of things that you have to do before you can consistently win.

I’m not saying it would be a bad thing, I’d love it if we beat Alabama. But losing to them, or winning, is not going to make a huge difference in the long run. Please note the phrase in long run.

If we’re doing the right things, and even if we lose to Alabama but then win the rest of our games, then we are headed in the right direction.

One thing I’ve learned, never overestimate the importance of one game early in the season, one way or the other

Honestly it wouldn’t change. IF he’s medically cleared and ready to go. Now if he’s not ready physically he doesn’t play. But if he passes every bench mark and is cleared by the medical staff, Is full go in practice, exactly what is the extra month gonna do??..im guessing the trepidation from some is it’s Bama...I get that. But if he is indeed cleared to in fall camp, has been practicing for that month full go, I don’t see the problem

Both..until he gets hit on that knee he’s gonna be hesitant anyone would be and NO ONE is going to know what’s going to happen until then but Being hesitant can get him hurt again....Listen I hope the kid pulls an AD and comes in 110% and balls out.I just don’t want him to rush back having any doubt and get hurt because he just wants to play that first game.I’d rather have him the other 11 or 12..again jmo
Oh I agree. If he’s not ready before fall camp ain’t no way I want to see him out there until he gets a full month of practice work in..idc if were playing Florida memorial U. But if he’s ready for fall camp, has not set back physically and it’s structurally ready to go then it will be a mental hurdle. The only way u get past that is by playing

Last edited:
They are going to do everything they can to get him ready to play. Manny isn’t stupid. He knows that a 30 or 40 point loss and the fan base is going to be up in arms and his seat is going to start getting really hot.
His seat is already flaming hot. Can't keep putting lipstick on a pig. Manny loses more big games than be wins. Facts!!

Advertisement
Back