Manny being set up to fail????!!!

Advertisement
We've all seen the pic of Manny standing alone at UNC's stadium after the game by now. I've also seen the statement that he was "set up for failure" posted on various social media pages. My question is, how in the f**k was he set up for failure? Can anyone with more insight into the program explain how Manny was set up for failure?
Yes Manny Diaz was set up to fail....by Manny Diaz.

Advertisement
We've all seen the pic of Manny standing alone at UNC's stadium after the game by now. I've also seen the statement that he was "set up for failure" posted on various social media pages. My question is, how in the f**k was he set up for failure? Can anyone with more insight into the program explain how Manny was set up for failure?
By simply given a job he wasn't qualified for. Easy.

@Sebastianspipe he sets himself up. look how better clark and rooster were than Gaynor and cam, even king would never put 40 points on UNC. yet all these guys only ply because of injury. you can't tell me dunson or Clarke are worse than ivy or huff and cave are worse than BJ.
You have the patience to explain the obvious Sir.

I wanted to say the exact thing to the poster who started a thread defending Manny and was willing to "die on the hill" for him. I just didn't have the patience to explain things like "why it's easier to see things during the day than at night?"

idk but this team should be 4-2 (2-0 ACC) even with his poor coaching

Advertisement
You have the patience to explain the obvious Sir.

I wanted to say the exact thing to the poster who started a thread defending Manny and was willing to "die on the hill" for him. I just didn't have the patience to explain things like "why it's easier to see things during the day than at night?"
Manny has been willing to throw anyone under the bus to keep his job. He took over a defense, plays same kids and its just as bad if not worse.

Temple is where he belonged. He knew the job at Miami was over his head. He tried and doesn’t have the tools to get it done in the powerful ACC. If anybody was set up it was the alum and fans. The lazy *** AD took the easy hire when he had the perfect time to make the right decision. Some experienced coaches came knocking.

Also, if this article is correct, human personality traits are 30-60% determined by genetics.

So in a sense he was set up to fail by his own DNA which was preprogrammed to make him a zero substance ***** who deflects responsibility like a duck does water while simultaneously being to stupid to learn from mistakes and correct simple problems.

Advertisement
Could take it as he was put in a position beyond what he was ready for. Like starting in Grad school before even finishing high school. That would be setting someone up to fail. Doesn’t have to be intentional.

Advertisement
Not defending Manny but some of you guys respond as if you all had the balls of steel to make difficult decisions. Curious how many on this board actually run a company and have dealt w/ decision making past what underwear to put on in the morning. We all got what we expected, a first time HC figuring **** out on the fly. I thought the team would have given up on him by all the comments read during the week leading up to the game and yet the team fought for that win as much as they did the UVA game. I think that’s somewhat telling. As much as I wanted to see him get fired solely for the hope a new coach comes in and restructures the entire thing, I think Diaz sticks around. Again, I don’t think he has what it takes but that’s how I’m starting to think things plays out.

Gary Ferman wrote that garbage piece—a position he's taken with past Miami coaches in similar positions; a bleeding heart for Shannon and Golden in the past, as well—as he doesn't want to lose his long-time access with UM.

CaneSport article are usually behind a paywall, but not this one—so here are some quotes:

A week after getting outgained 151-10 in the first quarter by Virginia, Miami was outgained 176-12 by Carolina early-on Saturday and 275-80 by halftime. Yes, that’s a bigger issue that suggests opponents gaining a sizeable edge in game planning.

But what happened after that was quite remarkable. The coaches went inside at halftime and made a few impactful adjustments. The players pulled together and played every second of the second half like their own lives were on the line, not just the future of their coach.

And the game totally changed on both sides of the ball. Miami ran 26 plays in the first half and 53 in the second half. The Canes outgained North Carolina 341-107 in the second half. And by the time the game was over, Miami actually ended up with more yards than North Carolina did. 421-382.

—OR—

It was time to buckle up for the fourth quarter.

Four fingers were in the air on the Miami sideline.

Diaz jumped and down like a little kid.

With a chance to reestablish control, Carolina showed its offensive class going 58 yards in nine plays to get the lead back to 10. Howell, with now over 100 yards rushing on the day, went the final 11 yards himself. 45-34.

—OR—

The clock was winding down to a precious few seconds, but Miami didn’t have a time out left to stop it. The Canes could have spiked the ball and kicked the field goal to go into overtime.

But this time, unlike against Virginia, Diaz didn’t play for the field goal.

Let’s say Diaz had played for overtime. Would the snap and hold been perfect under the pressure of the moment. Would Borregales have made the kick? Would Miami have even won in overtime?

Standing there all alone in the shadows in that corner of the stadium, you can bet Diaz replayed every second of those rapid-fire decisions.

He believes that these sequences will start going his way soon, that his team of fighters will become winners before the clock runs out again.

This is pure fairy tale drivel and cherry-picking pieces of the story that fit his narrative, while leaving out the rest.

— Completely dismisses the fact that Miami starts slow, sluggish and can't get it going—not questioning why or putting that on coaches—while celebrating the late-game comebacks and second half efforts / halftime adjustments. Great, but why does the original game plan suck so badly that the Canes are getting their asses handed to them the first half?

— Who gives a **** about Diaz's energy, four fingers and sideline excitement when Miami hasn't closed the last two games—and again, why are they always in these fourth quarter holes dating back to year one? We're not talking about a fourth quarter comeback against Alabama here—we're talking about lowly Virginia and North Carolina; two very pedestrian ACC teams.

Where was all this exuberance in a must-win game against Michigan State weeks back—and why is he ignoring that the Spartans outscored the Canes, 21-3 in that period?

— Idiotic to try and compare playing for a safe game-winning field goal with :97 remaining and a first down on the 15-yard line at home against Virginia, with not playing for a game-tying field goal on the road in Chapel Hill to force overtime.

Ferman is literally trying to imply a growth moment for Diaz—growing the balls to go for it this time!—praising him for not playing for a game-tying field goal, in effort to defend the late turnover .... and yet not a word about a slow-developing RPO on third down, knowing UNC was going to bring the heat.

Ferman with more fluff and a manufactured narrative never calling out what is.

Can't wait to read the Sunday October 31st piece when the Canes are 2-6 and Diaz has been let go.

I don't see any way he was set up for failure. They opened the wallet for good assistants, the facilities excuse is dead, and he's in the middle of the most fertile recruiting ground in the country. How did he get set up exactly?

Advertisement
Back