Manny and WQAM and other thoughts (long)

Well the problem is not going anywhere because he has nobody on his staff that can help him. Manny is a first year HC and we all thought he was going to figure things out as he go, but in reality Manny ****ed up when he built his staff. His just is just flat out bad and he is going to need to make some really tough decisions if he wants to keep his job k his HC career alive. He better recognize that the root of the problem is X's and O's, and not that it's just a culture problem. These kids are not stupid and no matter how much you yell, majority of the time it is hard to get people to buy in when they know it will not work.

Advertisement
Won't argue that. I was just pointing out that I think Manny doesn't think its a coaching problem. Nobody is safe after a loss like this.

You don't know what somebody thinks based upon what they say. He was in deep over his head when he took the job, and he made it way worse with all the pseudo machismo. Next.

If an entire team especially offense is unprepared and is handling Bye weeks like a vacation instead of focusing that is always 10000000000% on the QUARTERBACK!!

Jarren is the worst QB in UM history mainly because that position requires leadership and he he is either too high or is being paid to throw games.

It’s FIU... the coaching is worst of all time but there is no one to blame but Jarren for the offensive performance as well as the fact that he doesn’t have the balls to make sure everyone is focused on what’s important!! It’s probably because players can look at his goofy looking *** and know he’s not focused on what’s important either.

Jarren is the only QB on this team that’s capable of losing to FIU... look at his performance against Central Michigan? He and players like him are the DISEASE!! Throwing games and threatening to leave every other week. Get him tf out my face!

No. RIght or wrong I've always called it like I see it.

I saw marked improvement for three straight games and remained hopeful. Saturday night that all went to ****. There are some losses a staff can't recover from. This is one of them.
It did appear the light bulb went on, but it was a that final flicker before the bulb burnt out for good.

Firing coordinators at this point won't help, once again a new head coach needs to be hired.

It's a sad time for Hurricane football.

Peace.

The HC has to set the tone. If guys are clowning, you say something. You don’t hope it just goes away.

There’s 2 types of coaches - those who demand respect and will not tolerate anything that deviates from their vision and expectation (Saban). Then there’s coaches who keep things fun who kids love and would run through walls for (Pete Carroll). Either can work but both require rules and guidelines that must be adhered to for success.

If you see kids clowning and unfocused, you say something. Either pull the team aside and end the bs right there or pull aside a team captain and tell him this **** needs to stop and let the leaders handle it internally. But you do something!!! Doing nothing is the worst thing you can do. It seems manny doesn’t know what to do and some things he does is a mixed message. Allowing the bs dancing in sidelines is direct conflict to guys dancing and clowning in practice. Stopping practice and making guys hit bc they aren’t working hard is direct opposite to not benching guys for standing and watching in games (Ivey amongst others). This man is so far in over his head he doesn’t know how to get out. Bc his staff is just as unqualified, they can’t help.

Agree. But here again, Manny showed his "rookie" card on that one. I really believe he thought there was no way on Gods green earth that this team could lose to FIU. No matter how much they loafed around.

Jimmy Johnson use to brag that, "We don't practice for teams like Montana State or North Dakota State, our talent alone will beat them. We prepare our guys for the FSUs and Oklahomas of the world". Now Jimmy was probably just exaggerating but if Jimmy told Manny this in there offseason get together and Manny wrote that down.. I hope Manny rips that page out of the notebook. This aint 1987 anymore. This program needs to treat FIU like they treat Clemson.

Advertisement
Besides the litany of evidence already accumulated, another reason to see why Manny has no clue is the pace at which our offense was moving down 2 scores in the second half. We looked as if we wanted to milk the entire play clock on every play. Where is the sense of urgency? Feel for the game? Mickey Mouse administration. Mickey Mouse Staff

I use to believe these things back when we hired Randy, and then Golden.

The last guy didn’t build up the culture and the players were cancers and poor leaders and didn’t take it serious. And oh the classic “just cause the u is on your helmet you can just expect the other team to lay down”

Not any more every single guy except for Richt. Said the same exact thing.

For starters: After signing day I’d release 50% of the staff on each side of the ball including both coordinators.

If everyone else can see the common denominator in the top 25 offense surely Manny can get someone who is actually gonna run a style of offense that will put up points.

But let’s be clear about one thing if Kendal Briles couldn’t save Willys job don’t be so quick to assume that just bringing in hot shot coordinators will save Manny’s job.

Pinckney is a problem. Gilbert frierson is a problem. Both of those guys are ******** around. Gilbert showed up the stadium wearing ski goggles with an orange mirrored lens. Don’t tell me kids will be kids. Ain’t no kid doing that in front of Saban or Dabo. They’re focused on the game and game prep and not what they’re wearing. Stop letting our guys disrespect their team and coaches with this selfish attitude

If Manny doesn’t fire Enos this offseason then all hope is lost

Enos is to Manny as Dorito is to Golden

Wait until the day after early signing day though

Advertisement
Advertisement
I don't like starting threads too often unless I am just really really disturbed at something and I need a space to vent. Thank god CIS gives us that. Have no idea what we did back in the 80s and 90s after tough losses!

Manny was on WQAM this morning. 7am sharp. I don't have the link but here are the points.

*I am starting to get the feeling (and I know its been said on here a million times) that Manny just doesn't know how to fix this "disease" he is talking about within the program. And it is bothering him. Its like having a child that acts out all the time and no matter how many times you beat them, ground them..none of it works. They just won't act right. I heard it in Mannys voice when he talked about things that he saw leading up to the game that look familiar when they came off other bye weeks (in other words, guys BSing around and not taking game prep serious). He even said that the hotel walk through was a mess the night before. So he knew this team was not prepared and prayed that they would snap out of it come kickoff. That was disturbing to hear as a fan.

*I got the feeling that even though he loves many of the upperclassmen (Shaq and Pinck included) I think he is ready for them to go. I think they just aren't the leaders that he thought and expected them to be as he is basically a "HC in training". I think he depended on the Srs to really takeover as leaders and it didn't happen like he expected. In fact, I would go as far as to say that I got the impression that maybe the Srs are the ones that are leading this wave of not taking every week serious. You can tell Manny was guarded with his words. But I was trying to read between the lines. Whenever a HC says, "The 2020 class is hyped up and they actually have a group chat. They have the mindset that none of this will happen on our watch and that's the mentality we need. At some point, there will be a class to come in and turn this around.", then you know that he is not fully happy with how this Sr class conducted themselves as a whole leadership wise.

*He didn't get to much into Xs and Os. It was more like a therapy session for him. He was really in deep thought about the season as a whole and how things got to this point to where a team this talented is 6-5. He alluded to the fact that some of the players assume that just because you have that "U" on your helmet that certain things are a given. Like beating FIU. I got the feeling that he doesn't think it is Xs and Os related but a mental thing with this team. One thing I thought was interesting was that he said that this team feeds off of Jarren. When Jarren came out flat, the whole team went into the tank. That is a good thing and bad thing I guess. Shows he is the unquestioned leader of this team but Good God man..if Jarren doesn't have his "A" game on any given Saturday, we can assume that we are going to more than likely lose??

Those are the basics of the 20min interview. Said he doesn't expect any decommits in the 2020 class. They are solid as a rock. 2021 he is expecting some guys to drop.

I'll say this, Manny isn't going anywhere this year. That 3 game winning streak saved his job at least. But I am going to need him to stay off the yachts this offseason, stay out of the jewelry store conjuring up new pieces for next season, and stop the bravado. I am hoping he is humbled and realized being the HC at UM is more then just wearing that U on your shirt and hat, it takes hard work and dedication. He needs to make some tough decisions on his staff.

He needs to study every coach that had a bad record there first year and what they did to turn it around the second season. (Nick Saban at Bama, Urban at UF, etc) I know it sounds corny, but he needs to get into the lab and study every tendency and every detail of what coaches like this did to completely turn there program around in such a short time. His job depends on it.

He needs to make the tough decision and fire Enos and Baker. Gotta start from scratch. Neither of them are good coaches are even good recruiters. Double whammy in my book.

He needs to start taking this job serious. I look back on the last offseason and realize that Manny just didn't take this serious. He thought he could walk in, give a few speeches, hire a "good OC" and just coast to 10-11 wins. That yacht ride he took to the banquet should have been a sign for us. It was cool at the time but it looks extremely foolish now.

Sorry for the long review. I know posters will hit me with the "None of this matters. Blake and Manny have to go". Well, if they don't go, doesn't mean I am turning in my O&G gear either. Now am I going to renew my season tix? Not so sure yet. That said, I am looking to see a new Manny Diaz going into Spring ball. New focus and renewed energy. Playtime is over. His HC career depends on it. Neg away. LOL.
I'm not sure if you do reviews like this after every interview but my God you should because you are great at it. Beautifully written and your own thoughts were logical. For some reason, this made me feel a bit better. But yeah, I am starting to think myself that maybe the SRs are more of the problem. It's guaranteed that Manny will get another yr so hopefully he can do what Richt couldn't do and that's be a boss and make the changes that needs to be made.

Advertisement
If Manny doesn’t fire Enos this offseason then all hope is lost

Enos is to Manny as Dorito is to Golden

Wait until the day after early signing day though

I have a news flash for you Walter Cronkite, all hope was lost a long time ago. We are throwing more dirt on the coffin at this point.

People never learn

he’s a slick talking son of a politician. These interviews are where he shines. The guy had the ******* result of the Troy and LSU memorized one case he lost

**** this slime ball. Nothing is going to change with a new class. Don’t get fooled by an interview where he fakes being distraught

He isn’t “slick”. He is just dealing with Blake James, Jenn and our BOT. They’re some the biggest potatoes in the world. Being able to “trick” them isn’t an accomplishment.

Advertisement
Back