Manny and WQAM and other thoughts (long)

Jassid82

Senior
Premium
I don't like starting threads too often unless I am just really really disturbed at something and I need a space to vent. Thank god CIS gives us that. Have no idea what we did back in the 80s and 90s after tough losses!

Manny was on WQAM this morning. 7am sharp. I don't have the link but here are the points.

*I am starting to get the feeling (and I know its been said on here a million times) that Manny just doesn't know how to fix this "disease" he is talking about within the program. And it is bothering him. Its like having a child that acts out all the time and no matter how many times you beat them, ground them..none of it works. They just won't act right. I heard it in Mannys voice when he talked about things that he saw leading up to the game that look familiar when they came off other bye weeks (in other words, guys BSing around and not taking game prep serious). He even said that the hotel walk through was a mess the night before. So he knew this team was not prepared and prayed that they would snap out of it come kickoff. That was disturbing to hear as a fan.

*I got the feeling that even though he loves many of the upperclassmen (Shaq and Pinck included) I think he is ready for them to go. I think they just aren't the leaders that he thought and expected them to be as he is basically a "HC in training". I think he depended on the Srs to really takeover as leaders and it didn't happen like he expected. In fact, I would go as far as to say that I got the impression that maybe the Srs are the ones that are leading this wave of not taking every week serious. You can tell Manny was guarded with his words. But I was trying to read between the lines. Whenever a HC says, "The 2020 class is hyped up and they actually have a group chat. They have the mindset that none of this will happen on our watch and that's the mentality we need. At some point, there will be a class to come in and turn this around.", then you know that he is not fully happy with how this Sr class conducted themselves as a whole leadership wise.

*He didn't get to much into Xs and Os. It was more like a therapy session for him. He was really in deep thought about the season as a whole and how things got to this point to where a team this talented is 6-5. He alluded to the fact that some of the players assume that just because you have that "U" on your helmet that certain things are a given. Like beating FIU. I got the feeling that he doesn't think it is Xs and Os related but a mental thing with this team. One thing I thought was interesting was that he said that this team feeds off of Jarren. When Jarren came out flat, the whole team went into the tank. That is a good thing and bad thing I guess. Shows he is the unquestioned leader of this team but Good God man..if Jarren doesn't have his "A" game on any given Saturday, we can assume that we are going to more than likely lose??

Those are the basics of the 20min interview. Said he doesn't expect any decommits in the 2020 class. They are solid as a rock. 2021 he is expecting some guys to drop.

I'll say this, Manny isn't going anywhere this year. That 3 game winning streak saved his job at least. But I am going to need him to stay off the yachts this offseason, stay out of the jewelry store conjuring up new pieces for next season, and stop the bravado. I am hoping he is humbled and realized being the HC at UM is more then just wearing that U on your shirt and hat, it takes hard work and dedication. He needs to make some tough decisions on his staff.

He needs to study every coach that had a bad record there first year and what they did to turn it around the second season. (Nick Saban at Bama, Urban at UF, etc) I know it sounds corny, but he needs to get into the lab and study every tendency and every detail of what coaches like this did to completely turn there program around in such a short time. His job depends on it.

He needs to make the tough decision and fire Enos and Baker. Gotta start from scratch. Neither of them are good coaches are even good recruiters. Double whammy in my book.

He needs to start taking this job serious. I look back on the last offseason and realize that Manny just didn't take this serious. He thought he could walk in, give a few speeches, hire a "good OC" and just coast to 10-11 wins. That yacht ride he took to the banquet should have been a sign for us. It was cool at the time but it looks extremely foolish now.

Sorry for the long review. I know posters will hit me with the "None of this matters. Blake and Manny have to go". Well, if they don't go, doesn't mean I am turning in my O&G gear either. Now am I going to renew my season tix? Not so sure yet. That said, I am looking to see a new Manny Diaz going into Spring ball. New focus and renewed energy. Playtime is over. His HC career depends on it. Neg away. LOL.

Advertisement
I don't like starting threads too often unless I am just really really disturbed at something and I need a space to vent. Thank god CIS gives us that. Have no idea what we did back in the 80s and 90s after tough losses!

Manny was on WQAM this morning. 7am sharp. I don't have the link but here are the points.

*I am starting to get the feeling (and I know its been said on here a million times) that Manny just doesn't know how to fix this "disease" he is talking about within the program. And it is bothering him. Its like having a child that acts out all the time and no matter how many times you beat them, ground them..none of it works. They just won't act right. I heard it in Mannys voice when he talked about things that he saw leading up to the game that look familiar when they came off other bye weeks (in other words, guys BSing around and not taking game prep serious). He even said that the hotel walk through was a mess the night before. So he knew this team was not prepared and prayed that they would snap out of it come kickoff. That was disturbing to hear as a fan.

*I got the feeling that even though he loves many of the upperclassmen (Shaq and Pinck included) I think he is ready for them to go. I think they just aren't the leaders that he thought and expected them to be as he is basically a "HC in training". I think he depended on the Srs to really takeover as leaders and it didn't happen like he expected. In fact, I would go as far as to say that I got the impression that maybe the Srs are the ones that are leading this wave of not taking every week serious. You can tell Manny was guarded with his words. But I was trying to read between the lines. Whenever a HC says, "The 2020 class is hyped up and they actually have a group chat. They have the mindset that none of this will happen on our watch and that's the mentality we need. At some point, there will be a class to come in and turn this around.", then you know that he is not fully happy with how this Sr class conducted themselves as a whole leadership wise.

*He didn't get to much into Xs and Os. It was more like a therapy session for him. He was really in deep thought about the season as a whole and how things got to this point to where a team this talented is 6-5. He alluded to the fact that some of the players assume that just because you have that "U" on your helmet that certain things are a given. Like beating FIU. I got the feeling that he doesn't think it is Xs and Os related but a mental thing with this team. One thing I thought was interesting was that he said that this team feeds off of Jarren. When Jarren came out flat, the whole team went into the tank. That is a good thing and bad thing I guess. Shows he is the unquestioned leader of this team but Good God man..if Jarren doesn't have his "A" game on any given Saturday, we can assume that we are going to more than likely lose??

Those are the basics of the 20min interview. Said he doesn't expect any decommits in the 2020 class. They are solid as a rock. 2021 he is expecting some guys to drop.

I'll say this, Manny isn't going anywhere this year. That 3 game winning streak saved his job at least. But I am going to need him to stay off the yachts this offseason, stay out of the jewelry store conjuring up new pieces for next season, and stop the bravado. I am hoping he is humbled and realized being the HC at UM is more then just wearing that U on your shirt and hat, it takes hard work and dedication. He needs to make some tough decisions on his staff.

He needs to study every coach that had a bad record there first year and what they did to turn it around the second season. (Nick Saban at Bama, Urban at UF, etc) I know it sounds corny, but he needs to get into the lab and study every tendency and every detail of what coaches like this did to completely turn there program around in such a short time. His job depends on it.

He needs to make the tough decision and fire Enos and Baker. Gotta start from scratch. Neither of them are good coaches are even good recruiters. Double whammy in my book.

He needs to start taking this job serious. I look back on the last offseason and realize that Manny just didn't take this serious. He thought he could walk in, give a few speeches, hire a "good OC" and just coast to 10-11 wins. That yacht ride he took to the banquet should have been a sign for us. It was cool at the time but it looks extremely foolish now.

Sorry for the long review. I know posters will hit me with the "None of this matters. Blake and Manny have to go". Well, if they don't go, doesn't mean I am turning in my O&G gear either. Now am I going to renew my season tix? Not so sure yet. That said, I am looking to see a new Manny Diaz going into Spring ball. New focus and renewed energy. Playtime is over. His HC career depends on it. Neg away. LOL.
I listened to the interview on my way to the office this morning. I have highlighted the only logical conclusion of what I heard.

Advertisement
I listened to the interview on my way to the office this morning. I have highlighted the only logical conclusion of what I heard.

So I feel good that I am not the only one that got that impression. He wants to fix the problem. Knows its holding this team back from being great...but all be damned if he just doesn't know how to do it. Smh.

Advertisement
Funny you bring up him noticing this during practice. I actually went to practice Thursday morning and I got that sense watching that the players were not focused and taking it seriously. Lot of show boating and trying to make flashy spectacular INT catches in the defensive team portion. Granted it was a Thursday practice so there isn’t much in the way of contact that day anyways, but the body language was bad. I talked with Coach Feeley for about 20 or so minutes too just about random stuff on the season and off season and before we ended our conversation I made sure to express how important this game is and should be because of the place it Was being played.

All that being said it’s a coaching staffs job to have these guys prepared. The accountability piece needs to be a reality and not lip service.

Again I dont think he surrounded himself with a strong enough staff. His staff doesnt seem to demand or gain the respect of the players that is why so much flip flopping every week in practice.

Gotta agree. I have been at the front of the "Rumph/Banda are really good coaches" bandwagon but at this point... Nobody should be safe. If he wants to completely clean house...then so be it.

Advertisement
Advertisement
PEnos is garbage, and Baker should not be getting a pass by any means. Going into it you could say that at least PEnos had some decent experience but the Baker hire kind of blew me away.

Now I am looking at both and wondering why in the **** Manny doesnt find a way to surround himself with some legit coaching experience on both sides of the ball.

I feel like non of the hottest young coaches want to be at Miami because, as mentioned before our fanbase is just a little too rabid when it come to the coaches. No coach want to have to deal with that from a fanbase that doesnt hardly even show up to home games. The FIU crowd was more than pathetic.

PEnos is garbage, and Baker should not be getting a pass by any means. Going into it you could say that at least PEnos had some decent experience but the Baker hire kind of blew me away.

Now I am looking at both and wondering why in the **** Manny doesnt find a way to surround himself with some legit coaching experience on both sides of the ball.

I feel like non of the hottest young coaches want to be at Miami because, as mentioned before our fanbase is just a little too rabid when it come to the coaches. No coach want to have to deal with that from a fanbase that doesnt hardly even show up to home games. The FIU crowd was more than pathetic.

not saying this was the case in this search, but overall, i do think our fanabse overrates the program in terms of allure to other coaches.

Advertisement
Back