Manny and WQAM and other thoughts (long)

Advertisement
Yes I am an old-timer but...............back in the day [post 1982 through 2002] had the offense played like it did against FIU, there were guys in our locker room who would have physically beaten someone at halftime. The message was ALWAYS clear, "I kill myself to get here and win-you better too or I will kill you." Now we "ride the cycle" after first downs. I am sick of this bs..................................Manny had better fire Enos, Baker, and Rumph in the locker room after Duke............................

I don't like starting threads too often unless I am just really really disturbed at something and I need a space to vent. Thank god CIS gives us that. Have no idea what we did back in the 80s and 90s after tough losses!

Manny was on WQAM this morning. 7am sharp. I don't have the link but here are the points.

*I am starting to get the feeling (and I know its been said on here a million times) that Manny just doesn't know how to fix this "disease" he is talking about within the program. And it is bothering him. Its like having a child that acts out all the time and no matter how many times you beat them, ground them..none of it works. They just won't act right. I heard it in Mannys voice when he talked about things that he saw leading up to the game that look familiar when they came off other bye weeks (in other words, guys BSing around and not taking game prep serious). He even said that the hotel walk through was a mess the night before. So he knew this team was not prepared and prayed that they would snap out of it come kickoff. That was disturbing to hear as a fan.

*I got the feeling that even though he loves many of the upperclassmen (Shaq and Pinck included) I think he is ready for them to go. I think they just aren't the leaders that he thought and expected them to be as he is basically a "HC in training". I think he depended on the Srs to really takeover as leaders and it didn't happen like he expected. In fact, I would go as far as to say that I got the impression that maybe the Srs are the ones that are leading this wave of not taking every week serious. You can tell Manny was guarded with his words. But I was trying to read between the lines. Whenever a HC says, "The 2020 class is hyped up and they actually have a group chat. They have the mindset that none of this will happen on our watch and that's the mentality we need. At some point, there will be a class to come in and turn this around.", then you know that he is not fully happy with how this Sr class conducted themselves as a whole leadership wise.

*He didn't get to much into Xs and Os. It was more like a therapy session for him. He was really in deep thought about the season as a whole and how things got to this point to where a team this talented is 6-5. He alluded to the fact that some of the players assume that just because you have that "U" on your helmet that certain things are a given. Like beating FIU. I got the feeling that he doesn't think it is Xs and Os related but a mental thing with this team. One thing I thought was interesting was that he said that this team feeds off of Jarren. When Jarren came out flat, the whole team went into the tank. That is a good thing and bad thing I guess. Shows he is the unquestioned leader of this team but Good God man..if Jarren doesn't have his "A" game on any given Saturday, we can assume that we are going to more than likely lose??

Those are the basics of the 20min interview. Said he doesn't expect any decommits in the 2020 class. They are solid as a rock. 2021 he is expecting some guys to drop.

I'll say this, Manny isn't going anywhere this year. That 3 game winning streak saved his job at least. But I am going to need him to stay off the yachts this offseason, stay out of the jewelry store conjuring up new pieces for next season, and stop the bravado. I am hoping he is humbled and realized being the HC at UM is more then just wearing that U on your shirt and hat, it takes hard work and dedication. He needs to make some tough decisions on his staff.

He needs to study every coach that had a bad record there first year and what they did to turn it around the second season. (Nick Saban at Bama, Urban at UF, etc) I know it sounds corny, but he needs to get into the lab and study every tendency and every detail of what coaches like this did to completely turn there program around in such a short time. His job depends on it.

He needs to make the tough decision and fire Enos and Baker. Gotta start from scratch. Neither of them are good coaches are even good recruiters. Double whammy in my book.

He needs to start taking this job serious. I look back on the last offseason and realize that Manny just didn't take this serious. He thought he could walk in, give a few speeches, hire a "good OC" and just coast to 10-11 wins. That yacht ride he took to the banquet should have been a sign for us. It was cool at the time but it looks extremely foolish now.

Sorry for the long review. I know posters will hit me with the "None of this matters. Blake and Manny have to go". Well, if they don't go, doesn't mean I am turning in my O&G gear either. Now am I going to renew my season tix? Not so sure yet. That said, I am looking to see a new Manny Diaz going into Spring ball. New focus and renewed energy. Playtime is over. His HC career depends on it. Neg away. LOL.

Shanny and Flake are patient ZERO

It really isnt

Again, read my post again if you think I am a Manny apologist. Nowhere did I say he deserved another year or this wasn't his fault. Him not being able to fix this problem is a fireable offense. The problem is, the UM admins aren't going to fire him. If they were, they would have done it right after the FIU loss on that Sunday like FSU did Taggert after he lost to us.

Advertisement
People never learn

he’s a slick talking son of a politician. These interviews are where he shines. The guy had the ******* result of the Troy and LSU memorized one case he lost

**** this slime ball. Nothing is going to change with a new class. Don’t get fooled by an interview where he fakes being distraught

He's a bum head coach.

Does a team with half its roster being 4 and 5 star players need a not-bum coach to beat Florida International University?

Why can it not be all things? Bum HC. Bum Coordinators. Bum Assistants. Negligent administration. Ignorant and cheap board of trustees. Bad culture and poor players.

You dont get Miami over the past 15 years without pretty much all of that.

Its almost as if he got too close to them. He didn't draw that line between, "Yeah we are buds but I am your HC now so get your a$$ in gear". You know how people say to not ever have your children look at you like their "Big brother or Big sister"? That there has to be a line they cant cross and know that at the end of the day, you are the mom/dad...Well, Manny never had that moment with his Srs. They knew him as "Manny my DC, my bro, my friend". And now that its time to put foot to a$$, its tough for him to change it up. Just throwing theories out there of course.
You may have a point with this. But how you fix that is to bench some guys or don't start them. You gave to send a message as the head coach that things are different now.

It's his job to motivate his team.

He can go Fvck himself with the victim act.

Agree 110%. If he saw they were BSing around the night before at the hotel walk through..he should have made an example of someone and benched some people for the first quarter. Just to send a message. He didn't. I am sure he is regretting that now. Cost him the game and whatever credit he built up.

the best part of the game was that were so irrelevant before that loss that no one outside of SFL even cares. 15 years ago, that wouldve broken ESPN. now its not even me
This, man. My neighbor (who is a pretty big football fan) wasn't even aware that Miami lost when I saw him Sunday morning. Never saw it on ESPN, didnt make his bleacher report feed, nothing. Just chew on that for a minute.

We are officially irrelevant to college football. Really sad.

Advertisement
You can have the worst culture, no leadership, no effort, no caring players, and you still beat FIU with P5 talent....not the best P5 talent....just generic P5 talent. This is 1000% on the coaching (or lack thereof). Manny is the worst. He represents not only everything wrong with the football program, but everything with Miami generally. All flash, no substance, fake it till you make it (and he'll never make it) douche bag.

I don't like starting threads too often unless I am just really really disturbed at something and I need a space to vent. Thank god CIS gives us that. Have no idea what we did back in the 80s and 90s after tough losses!

Manny was on WQAM this morning. 7am sharp. I don't have the link but here are the points.

*I am starting to get the feeling (and I know its been said on here a million times) that Manny just doesn't know how to fix this "disease" he is talking about within the program. And it is bothering him. Its like having a child that acts out all the time and no matter how many times you beat them, ground them..none of it works. They just won't act right. I heard it in Mannys voice when he talked about things that he saw leading up to the game that look familiar when they came off other bye weeks (in other words, guys BSing around and not taking game prep serious). He even said that the hotel walk through was a mess the night before. So he knew this team was not prepared and prayed that they would snap out of it come kickoff. That was disturbing to hear as a fan.

*I got the feeling that even though he loves many of the upperclassmen (Shaq and Pinck included) I think he is ready for them to go. I think they just aren't the leaders that he thought and expected them to be as he is basically a "HC in training". I think he depended on the Srs to really takeover as leaders and it didn't happen like he expected. In fact, I would go as far as to say that I got the impression that maybe the Srs are the ones that are leading this wave of not taking every week serious. You can tell Manny was guarded with his words. But I was trying to read between the lines. Whenever a HC says, "The 2020 class is hyped up and they actually have a group chat. They have the mindset that none of this will happen on our watch and that's the mentality we need. At some point, there will be a class to come in and turn this around.", then you know that he is not fully happy with how this Sr class conducted themselves as a whole leadership wise.

*He didn't get to much into Xs and Os. It was more like a therapy session for him. He was really in deep thought about the season as a whole and how things got to this point to where a team this talented is 6-5. He alluded to the fact that some of the players assume that just because you have that "U" on your helmet that certain things are a given. Like beating FIU. I got the feeling that he doesn't think it is Xs and Os related but a mental thing with this team. One thing I thought was interesting was that he said that this team feeds off of Jarren. When Jarren came out flat, the whole team went into the tank. That is a good thing and bad thing I guess. Shows he is the unquestioned leader of this team but Good God man..if Jarren doesn't have his "A" game on any given Saturday, we can assume that we are going to more than likely lose??

Those are the basics of the 20min interview. Said he doesn't expect any decommits in the 2020 class. They are solid as a rock. 2021 he is expecting some guys to drop.

I'll say this, Manny isn't going anywhere this year. That 3 game winning streak saved his job at least. But I am going to need him to stay off the yachts this offseason, stay out of the jewelry store conjuring up new pieces for next season, and stop the bravado. I am hoping he is humbled and realized being the HC at UM is more then just wearing that U on your shirt and hat, it takes hard work and dedication. He needs to make some tough decisions on his staff.

He needs to study every coach that had a bad record there first year and what they did to turn it around the second season. (Nick Saban at Bama, Urban at UF, etc) I know it sounds corny, but he needs to get into the lab and study every tendency and every detail of what coaches like this did to completely turn there program around in such a short time. His job depends on it.

He needs to make the tough decision and fire Enos and Baker. Gotta start from scratch. Neither of them are good coaches are even good recruiters. Double whammy in my book.

He needs to start taking this job serious. I look back on the last offseason and realize that Manny just didn't take this serious. He thought he could walk in, give a few speeches, hire a "good OC" and just coast to 10-11 wins. That yacht ride he took to the banquet should have been a sign for us. It was cool at the time but it looks extremely foolish now.

Sorry for the long review. I know posters will hit me with the "None of this matters. Blake and Manny have to go". Well, if they don't go, doesn't mean I am turning in my O&G gear either. Now am I going to renew my season tix? Not so sure yet. That said, I am looking to see a new Manny Diaz going into Spring ball. New focus and renewed energy. Playtime is over. His HC career depends on it. Neg away. LOL.

Great post. I absolutely agree that he's sort of lost as to how to get the team to focus all the time. This is even more depressing because it's what we've seen from our last several coaches...they have their moments, but in the end they can't get the best out of the players all the time. Which leads to what I was saying going into the game: you just don't know which team you'll get each Saturday. They've got the talent and ability, but you don't know how much effort you'll get.

So this is it. Can he make the staffing changes and get the players to play hard all the time or not? At this point I'm thinking not. As you said, he needs to get in the lab, but I don't think he will. Most humans in this type of situation just keep doing what they've been doing and hope for better results. Hope I'm wrong about that.

Agree 110%. If he saw they were BSing around the night before at the hotel walk through..he should have made an example of someone and benched some people for the first quarter. Just to send a message. He didn't. I am sure he is regretting that now. Cost him the game and whatever credit he built up.

They'll respond to how they're coached.

Mandy is running a hippie commune right now and they are acting accordingly.

Advertisement
You can have the worst culture, no leadership, no effort, no caring players, and you still beat FIU with P5 talent....not the best P5 talent....just generic P5 talent. This is 1000% on the coaching (or lack thereof). Manny is the worst. He represents not only everything wrong with the football program, but everything with Miami generally. All flash, no substance, fake it till you make it (and he'll never make it) douche bag.

Won't argue that. I was just pointing out that I think Manny doesn't think its a coaching problem. Nobody is safe after a loss like this.

This s*** goes hand in hand. The players are responsible as are the coaches. More on coaching vs players (70/30%).

Too many examples to cite but Enos is the biggest problem. The offensive rankings speak for themselves.

Of course he did. That’s all he does.

I’ve seen players wave off the *** touchdown rings only to be forced to wear them. Whose fault is that? Sounds like the players have more pride than manny does.

He’s a bull**** car salesman that’s trying to con his way out of the hole he’s dig himself in.
It’s obvious that a lot of our players don’t want to wear those rings. What a joke

Advertisement
You fix the culture by benching the ones playing around. You telling me there aren’t players on the bench hungry for a chance to get some real game action? Shaq and Pickney not filling their gaps in their senior season it’s time for a change. Sam should’ve been getting major PT and game action.

we are just screwed

The HC has to set the tone. If guys are clowning, you say something. You don’t hope it just goes away.

There’s 2 types of coaches - those who demand respect and will not tolerate anything that deviates from their vision and expectation (Saban). Then there’s coaches who keep things fun who kids love and would run through walls for (Pete Carroll). Either can work but both require rules and guidelines that must be adhered to for success.

If you see kids clowning and unfocused, you say something. Either pull the team aside and end the bs right there or pull aside a team captain and tell him this **** needs to stop and let the leaders handle it internally. But you do something!!! Doing nothing is the worst thing you can do. It seems manny doesn’t know what to do and some things he does is a mixed message. Allowing the bs dancing in sidelines is direct conflict to guys dancing and clowning in practice. Stopping practice and making guys hit bc they aren’t working hard is direct opposite to not benching guys for standing and watching in games (Ivey amongst others). This man is so far in over his head he doesn’t know how to get out. Bc his staff is just as unqualified, they can’t help.

I can tell you a MAJOR problem within the locker room is that the coaches pretty much "assigned" or "appointed" leaders when the new staff was put in place. This rubbed a lot of the younger guys the wrong way, because the prior regime basically told them during recruiting that the older guys were the problem. So its a wash, rise, repeat situation with in the locker room.

And I've said this a MILLION TIMES, the guys who you think are leaders are not respected AT ALL in the locker room. We have kids on our team that use social media to paint a certain narrative and it doesn't go over well in the locker room at all.

Yes I am an old-timer but...............back in the day [post 1982 through 2002] had the offense played like it did against FIU, there were guys in our locker room who would have physically beaten someone at halftime. The message was ALWAYS clear, "I kill myself to get here and win-you better too or I will kill you." Now we "ride the cycle" after first downs. I am sick of this bs..................................Manny had better fire Enos, Baker, and Rumph in the locker room after Duke............................
Exactly. Guys were scared to walk into the locker room

Advertisement
Back