Making a point to players - Dabo Sweeney style

Top schools pay their top players because they understand the system they operate under is flawed. ....

Sorry, I just can’t agree with that. They pay because they have to, to get more highly rated players, not because they understand the system that they operate under is flawed, and not because they want to. Also, it’s not the schools paying, it’s boosters who are not directly linked to them.

Advertisement
Then you're part of a system that exploits people. You gonna stop using your smartphone?

My point is that if you're a wiling participant in many systems that exploit people. Everyone is.

You have a choice. If you're so worried about the exploitation of college athletes, then you should stop following CANES football. It's the right thing to do.
That like telling someone to move to another country..I enjoy the entertainment aspect of sports. I’m not gonna give that up. But at the same time I’m not a 2-dimensional human being..i can enjoy the entertainment and I can point out the clear flaws in the system of the NCAA that most agree does exist across the 2 major sports and major conferences...basically your suggesting majority of fans stop watching the sport because majority of fans agree the NCAA system is flawed

That like telling someone to move to another country..I enjoy the entertainment aspect of sports. I’m not gonna give that up. But at the same time I’m not a 2-dimensional human being..i can enjoy the entertainment and I can point out the clear flaws in the system of the NCAA that most agree does exist across the 2 major sports and major conferences...basically your suggesting majority of fans stop watching the sport because majority of fans agree the NCAA system is flawed

Thank you for making my point. You're choosing to participate in the flawed system just like they are. You can quit watching any time you want if it offends you. They can quit playing any time they want if they feel exploited. You keep watching for your own selfish reasons, just like they keep playing for theirs. Nobody has a gun to their head.

Sorry, I just can’t agree with that. They pay because they have to do more of the players, not because they understand the system that operate under is flawed.
Your not understanding what I’m saying..these coaches and boosters understand that the system is flawed. So do most parents and handlers. They understand the money being generated gives incentive to assure you get the top talent at your school. They also understand a lot of the top prospects have their eyes on a professional career, not necessarily a college degree..if the NFL setup a 3 year developmental farm system choice for graduating HS prospects I guarantee you’d see many players in the top 200 rankings take that route. Your going to see it trend that way with top prospects in b-ball. They are going to take that route to the NBA with the new developmental league rules.

Your not understanding what I’m saying..these coaches and boosters understand that the system is flawed. So do most parents and handlers. They understand the money being generated gives incentive to assure you get the top talent at your school. They also understand a lot of the top prospects have their eyes on a professional career, not necessarily a college degree..if the NFL setup a 3 year developmental farm system choice for graduating HS prospects I guarantee you’d see many players in the top 200 rankings take that route. Your going to see it trend that way with top prospects in b-ball. They are going to take that route to the NBA with the new developmental league rules.

I agree about the parents and handlers. I don’t agree about coaches and boosters.

Advertisement
Thank you for making my point. You're choosing to participate in the flawed system just like they are. You can quit watching any time you want if it offends you. They can quit playing any time they want if they feel exploited. You keep watching for your own selfish reasons, just like they keep playing for theirs. Nobody has a gun to their head.
Like I said we are not Two dimensional creatures..if these kids and families were given a choice to maximize their earning potential they’d take that route. As of now playing by the NCAA rules is the only route to achieve their ultimate goal

Last edited:
Like I said we are Two dimensional creatures..if these kids and families were given a choice to maximize their earning potential they’re take that route. As of now playing by the NCAA rules is the only route to achieve their ultimate goal

What you're advocating for will incidentally lead to less opportunity for young athletes, not more. The 1% who are good enough to play professionally will still make it. Those who are marginally good enough will suffer because they'll toil in obscurity while the professional leagues focus on the best bang for the buck in terms of scouting and player development. The worst outcome will be for those who are just good enough to earn a scholarship and be a role player. Those scholarships will vanish because again the system will focus on the 1%. You know it's true. The system we have now works for the greatest amount of people. In a system where only the 1% are empowered to bargain with/against the system, they win...everyone else loses. That's the world we live in. College sports are the embodiment of the ideals on which this country was founded. Everyone is on a level playing field. Everyone has the same opportunity to earn their way to the top. Some are more talented and will succeed. Some will work harder and make it. Others will be Willie Williams.

Advertisement
Of course, education trumps all which is even more reason football matters. Even though you are correct that most don't make it to the NFL (even though football is still the vessel that provides the opportunity) football provides a free college education worth thousands and thousands of dollars that will set them up for the rest of their lives.
What I'm saying is that in the grand scheme of things, football is a tiny part of the bigger picture and hearing the opposite from 2 people that are one of the biggest beneficiaries from football rings rather hollow.

Last edited:
What you're advocating for will incidentally lead to less opportunity for young athletes, not more. The 1% who are good enough to play professionally will still make it. Those who are marginally good enough will suffer because they'll toil in obscurity while the professional leagues focus on the best bang for the buck in terms of scouting and player development. The worst outcome will be for those who are just good enough to earn a scholarship and be a role player. Those scholarships will vanish because again the system will focus on the 1%. You know it's true. The system we have now works for the greatest amount of people. In a system where only the 1% are empowered to bargain with/against the system, they win...everyone else loses. That's the world we live in. College sports are the embodiment of the ideals on which this country was founded. Everyone is on a level playing field. Everyone has the same opportunity to earn their way to the top. Some are more talented and will succeed. Some will work harder and make it. Others will be Willie Williams.
I wholeheartedly disagree. There will still be plenty who decide to play cfb. there will still be a demand and market for college football and basketbal. Ppl will still tune in at the same rate..the system rn works for the ncaa, the universities, the consumers and the coaches , but it’s flawed for the players . the playing field is far from equal...change in the system does not put your College football in jeopardy

if you don’t see the NCAA as clearly exploiting the talents of the athletes in their cash cow sports, football and basketball, then I don’t know what else proof u need. Even the major school know this..that’s why they pay top players
Pareto principle. Many of these players are getting a free education for contributing little to the bottom line. Only a small % who actually sell jerseys and tickets could even be considered 'exploited' - and they're paying dues before moving onto the NFL.

Pareto principle. Many of these players are getting a free education for contributing little to the bottom line. Only a small % who actually sell jerseys and tickets could even be considered 'exploited' - and they're paying dues before moving onto the NFL.
And that small percent should be able to market themselves and monetize their abilities ..scholarship players should see a equal share in revenue.

Advertisement
I think if you polled coaches most coaches off the record they’d disagree with the NCAA system

Maybe, we’ll never know. I think the top P5 coaches like things just the way they are.

They have boosters off to the side paying the five stars to come to their school, and they have plausible deniability. They keep their hands clean, even though they know exactly what’s going on.

Why would you want to change anything if you’re Saban or fake religious Dabo? They keep getting richer, all the schools with less moneyed boosters can’t compete. They don’t want an equitable system. And they have an NCAA that covers for their malfeasance.

If we had a system where the players were paid, and were able to market themselves and their images fairly, it would level the playing field. Those top coaches don’t want that. Most SEC schools don’t want that. It would take the booster advantage away to a significant extent.

Maybe, we’ll never know. I think the top P5 coaches like things just the way they are.

They have boosters off to the side paying the five stars to come to their school, and they have plausible deniability. They keep their hands clean, even though they know exactly what’s going on.

Why would you want to change anything if you’re Saban or fake religious Dabo? They keep getting richer, all the schools with less moneyed boosters can’t compete. They don’t want an equitable system. And they have an NCAA that covers for their malfeasance.

If we had a system where the players were paid, and were able to market themselves and their images fairly, it would level the playing field. Those top coaches don’t want that. Most SEC schools don’t want that. It would take the booster advantage away to a significant extent.
I agree with all that. They wouldn’t admit it’s flawed because they are on top and benefiting.

And that small percent should be able to market themselves and monetize their abilities ..scholarship players should see a equal share in revenue.
I agree with the first point - all players should be able to for that matter. Completely disagree with the second; universities are extending a free ride to 25 players a year based on potential, knowing only a couple will move the $$ needle.

Advertisement
I agree with the first point - all players should be able to for that matter. Completely disagree with the second; universities are extending a free ride to 25 players a year based on potential, knowing only a couple will move the $$ needle.
how much profit do you think D1 schools make off of Football and basketball alone..enough fund a annual golf scholarships with plenty of crumbs left over

how much profit do you think D1 schools make off of Football and basketball alone..enough fund a annual golf scholarships with plenty of crumbs left over

Golf, and 87 other sports. Again, more opportunity for a greater number of young people vs a few guys getting a payday. So in lieu of funding 1,000s of programs for student athletes, you would rather the 1% get paid?

Advertisement
Back