Making a point to players - Dabo Sweeney style

It’s inexcusable for him using that word. No white guy gets a pass to use it regardless of what message he’s sending. You’ve heard what happened to the Teacher Paul Dawson right?
So please let us know what exactly the rules are regarding this word.

Can I sing along to my favorite songs or not? If I'm doing karaoke, do I have to pause during that word? Is it appropriate for popular songs to include that word knowing most of the listeners are not black?

If you are at a concert can you sing along?

Similarly can I recite my funniest lines from my favorite movies or not?

Does intent matter?

With regard to who is allowed to use the word, what percent African heritage do you need to make it acceptable? One black grandparent, two black grandparents? Three? What if you are married to a black female and have mixed children? Can your children use the word but not you?

What if you are Puerto Rican and of mixed race heritage?

Who is allowed to make the rules and change the rules?

Obviously, my point is that these rules are absurd. Either it's a vile, profane word, where nobody should use it, or it's not.

I grew up listening to NWA and the Geto Boys. I heard the word a million times in the context of music but zero times in the context of a racial insult. At this point, I find the word despicable and would never use it in any circumstance. But it's amazing how often you hear that word in pop culture. Who would have thought 30 years later we would still be having these ridiculous conversations ...

Advertisement
Let me preface this by saying that I'm not trying to patronize you or pin you down so that I can tear apart your argument. I'm genuinely interested in listening and understanding your point of view. To be honest, I'm not sure if I agree with you or not yet. Of course I have my own opinions based on what I think I know, but I'm willing to allow you change my mind. So please define "justice" in your own words.
First of all thank you for not tearing me apart. I was worried. ;) Just keepin it light.

My definition would be to receive the same dispensation of the law and its protections as all other classes or races. Of course the definition goes deeper. Justice is a concept so trying to put a fine point on it is useless. In any event these definitions are freely available on google.

Before you and I get started why don't you put your definition on the table for me to see.

Dabo Wabo coming out swinging.

"...Not only am I not apologizing, this f[]cking kid is lying. See ya at playoff time. How ya like me now b!tches!?..."*

Does anyone step forward to corroborate what this young man is accusing Dabo of doing?

*obviously I'm paraphrasing
Of course not.unInstantiated fake manipulated out rage is the way of social media...

Advertisement
So please let us know what exactly the rules are regarding this word.

Can I sing along to my favorite songs or not? If I'm doing karaoke, do I have to pause during that word? Is it appropriate for popular songs to include that word knowing most of the listeners are not black?

If you are at a concert can you sing along?

Similarly can I recite my funniest lines from my favorite movies or not?

Does intent matter?

With regard to who is allowed to use the word, what percent African heritage do you need to make it acceptable? One black grandparent, two black grandparents? Three? What if you are married to a black female and have mixed children? Can your children use the word but not you?

What if you are Puerto Rican and of mixed race heritage?

Who is allowed to make the rules and change the rules?

Obviously, my point is that these rules are absurd. Either it's a vile, profane word, where nobody should use it, or it's not.

I grew up listening to NWA and the Geto Boys. I heard the word a million times in the context of music but zero times in the context of a racial insult. At this point, I find the word despicable and would never use it in any circumstance. But it's amazing how often you hear that word in pop culture. Who would have thought 30 years later we would still be having these ridiculous conversations ...

All I'm going to say is the double standards (some may even disagree that this is a double standard, I respect that) that exist around race serve to divide and anger. Political leaders, figure heads, media outlets love using them to further radicalize their bases and elevate themselves within their own bases. That, along with the inability of many to truly respect the other sides opinion, make it tough to envision a future where things will get better, and not worse.

I know that's sort of a broad and vague statement, but I think it can be applied to folks all over the socioeconomic spectrum. Its tough to look at an issue and remove your own biases, especially when you've got that burning anger in the pit of your stomach because a double standard makes it seem as if the cards are stacked against you.

To be perfectly honest, I don't believe in justice at all. To me justice is any eye for an eye. However, we all know where that leads...an ever escalating war for an abstract, subjective concept that nobody's ever satisfied with. The question becomes, can a system devised by people provide justice? I don't believe so because people are flawed. If you believe in God then justice is determined by something greater than ourselves. Certainly, we can do our best to improve the system and correct injustice, but really we're only mitigating. In my opinion the best anyone can do it look inside themselves, try to heal themselves, try to forgive and move forward. Otherwise we'll always be fighting dragons of our own making...and when I say we, I mean mankind. All of us.

To be perfectly honest, I don't believe in justice at all. To me justice is any eye for an eye. However, we all know where that leads...an ever escalating war for an abstract, subjective concept that nobody's ever satisfied with. The question becomes, can a system devised by people provide justice? I don't believe so because people are flawed. If you believe in God then justice is determined by something greater than ourselves. Certainly, we can do our best to improve the system and correct injustice, but really we're only mitigating. In my opinion the best anyone can do it look inside themselves, try to heal themselves, try to forgive and move forward. Otherwise we'll always be fighting dragons of our own making...and when I say we, I mean mankind. All of us.
I believe justice is a human construct in the same way that love is. Human beings have always strive for it without even knowing why. America has asserted itself as the "City on Hill". The light of the world. We all want to believe that and feel a sense of responsibility to uphold that in some way. We all want this country to reflect its highest ideals with justice being one of them. When it doesn't happen. We are all injured. We are all embarrassed.

Y'all do realize like 95% of football players are black, right?

Sooooo.... getting paid very well, along with a free college education, just to play a sport is keeping them "inferior and exploited" LMAO
Yes it is. bit You wouldn’t understand. It’s like white privilege. To accept it it’s reality
Congratulations. Our lives have no comparison. Which makes me totally indifferent about your accolades. I already said how i perceive you...
Our lives have no comparison because your life h
Nobody is pointing a gun at anyone's head and forcing them to do sports. This isn't the soviet union. Young men make a choice to play sports for a multitude of reasons. Not every athlete believes they are going to play sports professionally. Some do it for the degree, believe it or not. The exploitation narrative is a wedge with which those who actually and in fact exploit and manipulate your emotions seek to motivate you for their own benefit. We all have a choice.
every power 5 D1 coach sells every kid and family on the young man becoming a pro football or basketball player if they just ‘work hard, accept infallible coaching’. This is the standard pitch Even when the coach knows it’s not likely to happen. And the pitch is typically made to a wide eyed 17 year old and an often undereducated parent. Call it what you will but it’s not honest.

Advertisement

Justice, and the law for that matter, will always be socially organized. That's true for every society.

I don't mean that in the sense that we need to be satisfied with the current state of affairs, it's just a matter of fact.

Yes it is. bit You wouldn’t understand. It’s like white privilege. To accept it it’s reality

every power 5 D1 coach sells every kid and family on the young man becoming a pro football or basketball player if they just ‘work hard, accept infallible coaching’. This is the standard pitch Even when the coach knows it’s not likely to happen. And the pitch is typically made to a wide eyed 17 year old and an often undereducated parent. Call it what you will but it’s not honest.
Now you're passing judgment on the parent's intellect. SMH. Totalitarian mindset...

Advertisement
So what is that supposed to mean? Football is important because black kids play?

The only reason that football is important is it's a foundation for life. The foundation is having discipline, leadership, working with others, overcoming adversity, and providing the ability to get an education.

The games, the winning, the rivalries are all just entertainment that we have placed a value on. Do we need coaches making millions of dollars to provide us better entertainment? Our value systems are all phucked up. You have state schools building multi million dollar facilities for sports where their state have some of the worst in education and literacy rates.

In the grand scheme of things, so much money and societal value has been placed in sports, especially football. All the black athletes you like to point out as beneficiaries is so minimal to the number of black college students overall. Only a handful will go onto play pro sports. The numbers are even worse for basketball. So, we are spending a ton of money that the benefit reaches so few of the black student population.

I love sports. I played baseball in college. I learned so many things from it that I apply in life. However, I understand the majority of black students (and all students in general) don't play sports.

So, all this hoopla about football matters is BS. "Football Matters" tee shirts from a coach who recently signed a 10 year $93 million dollar contract and the other is the commissioner of the NFL that receives an annual compensation of $40 million dollars. If you're making millions of dollars from football, then it matters to those handful of people receiving the lions share.

What matters is education and the millions of good paying jobs it provides, not the money generated from sports that benefit a few in the general population.
Of course, education trumps all which is even more reason football matters. Even though you are correct that most don't make it to the NFL (even though football is still the vessel that provides the opportunity) football provides a free college education worth thousands and thousands of dollars that will set them up for the rest of their lives.

I can't grasp people hanging on words from actors and athletes. I guess everyone does not partake of independent thinking. Group think isn't very independent.

Advertisement

Yeah white privilege when football provides an opportunity to either make millions in the NFL or get a free education worth thousands and thousands of dollars, all to about a 95% black roster. Lulz

Nobody is pointing a gun at anyone's head and forcing them to do sports. This isn't the soviet union. Young men make a choice to play sports for a multitude of reasons. Not every athlete believes they are going to play sports professionally. Some do it for the degree, believe it or not. The exploitation narrative is a wedge with which those who actually and in fact exploit and manipulate your emotions seek to motivate you for their own benefit. We all have a choice.
if you don’t see the NCAA as clearly exploiting the talents of the athletes in their cash cow sports, football and basketball, then I don’t know what else proof u need. Even the major school know this..that’s why they pay top players

if you don’t see the NCAA as clearly exploiting the talents of the athletes in their cash cow sports, football and basketball, then I don’t know what else proof u need. Even the major school know this..that’s why they pay top players

LOL, that’s not why they pay their top players. Boosters give athletes illegal under the table payments to get them to come to their school. Period. Not because out of some sense of justice or paying true worth. That’s ridiculous. Hard stop.

Do you have a smartphone?

Advertisement
Back