Make Sure every kid considering FSU reads this

Advertisement
Have you met any South FL football players? Occasionally, I volunteer at inner city schools and have a chance to speak with these kids.

Unfortunately, they view class/education as a burden, not a blessing. Attending class is something that they just "have to do" in order to play football. Classes are things that "get in the way". If it were up to them, they would just play football and skip all of their classes. Even more depressing, many parents feel the same way.

The quickest way to lose a recruit is to have a coach focus more on APR and graduation rates, and less on football.

I will agree to disagree with some of you. It's not so much about the grad-rate as it's it about the fact that FSU has shown they could care less about what happens to their athletes after their time at the university is done. Sure every kid thinks he's going to league but that's just not the case. It's silly that some of you think it has to be championships or grades and that you can't do both successfully. News flash we didn't lose to Duke,VaTech and Louisville because of our players spending too much time in the classroom. And if you are minority who can read about the exploitation of young African Americans and say "charge that to the game" you should be ashamed.

I think you mean FSU could NOT care less. It's an important distinction.

I'm not sure why a kid would care about the graduation rate of the football team where he's going to play. If he cares about his personal education, the fact that other football players at the school won't graduate won affect what he does. He will still go to class, study, and get his grades. If he doesn't care about academics then the point is moot from the beginning. Now whether the school itself is any good might be a factor, but FSU isn't a horrible school academically. IMHO we just won't get much headway recruiting on an individual basis throwing our grad rate out there compared to the competition. It's a nice thing to tout generally, but it isn't driving any high level recruits decision making.

I think we should make David Perry a huge part of the recruiting pitch to parents.

"Here's how much we care about our kids' future. Meet David Perry. A 5th year senior whose cost our university over a half million dollars and doesn't have a defensive statistic. Even though he hasn't made one meaningful play on the football field we fully paid for his Bachelor's Degree and half his Masters Degree."

coffee spit up all over my keyboard.

Advertisement
The point is this, these are kids. Not every kid is a Chad Thomas, who has his plan in life laid out. Most Kids need to be mentored and guided. Sure currently they have a good amount of kids being drafted. Which represents what 5 out of every 25 kids. And even for the kids that do "make it" to the league the average career is 3 years in the NFL. Bottomline is 95% of these kids will need something to fall back on and 50% will not have that because the ppl tasked with looking out for their best interest are selling them Pipe dreams of NFL glory. In 5 years how many doors is being the backup RE,RG,CB,FS,TE on 2013 champ team going to open? While Jimbo and Jamies are sitting in their mansions half of their teammates from their 2013 squad will barely be able to support themselves.

I'm not saying every school needs to be standford or duke but how hard is it to make sure more of these kids make it to finish line? The point of this thread was to make it evident to the parents and handles of these recruits that when an FSU coach says your son is in good hands it's a flat out lie.

Last edited:
excerpt from ESPN article. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...cisco-49ers-becoming-known-west-coast-defense

The real story? Florida State won the final BCS title. In the run-up or the postgame, did you see any media coverage about the Seminoles' 58 percent football graduation rate? The team's 2007 cheating scandal that led to probation? The program's recent history of classifying many players as learning-disabled, waiving most classroom requirements? Any mention that though Florida State had $48 million in football revenue in the last school year, it still charges every undergraduate $245 annually to subsidize NCAA sports?

At Florida State, 65 percent overall of African-American students graduate, but only 50 percent of African-American football players do. Why was the sports media silent on these Florida State issues? Seminoles boosters and alums who are proud of the crystal trophy should feel embarrassed by the football program's subsidies and poor classroom performance. Of the 11 Seminoles selected in last year's NFL draft, eight graduated.

Good for them! But what about the much larger number of Florida State football players who will never take a snap in the NFL, and never walk to "Pomp and Circumstance?" They are used up and thrown away. Florida State and its coaches exploit those players; the sports media is complicit.

You can mock education all you, but at the end of the day that coaching staff in Tallahassee could care less about what truly happens to the young men who join their program once they are no longer able to contribute or are replaced by someone younger. So when you don't make the NFL and don't have a degree you can read about Jimbo Fisher getting another 2 million raiser while you can barely support your family. When Jimbo sits in a parent's home and tell him that he is looking out for the best interest of their child it's a flat out lie.

Im with you, but who are we kidding. The kids and their families dont give a F*Ck either. Its up there with the "picking the best academic school is very important to me, because education is very important to me" and the finalists are WVU, Kentucky, LSU, Bama and Auburn. Basically glorified day care centers. These kids chase the money and hype and rarely really consider the education component. When was the last time you heard a top elite recruit seriously talking about "class sizes" and "academic support opportunities" and a schools particular reputation in their chosen field of study?

Chad Thomas might be the only kid in a while I have actually heard talk about it, and its because Music is so important to him, and such a part of his life.

It's all bull**** on both sides anyway. Only a handful of schools give a **** about educating these kids.

And let's be honest...as a fan you don't give a **** about them either. If you did, you'd be championing some kid in the inner city with a 3.5 getting an opportunity to go to college. But of course they can't play football so nobody gives a ****. Let's be honest here...I've seen people on here advocating Golden 'encourage kids to move on' who aren't getting it done on the field. Some of those kids are great students and are handling their business on that end, nobody gives a **** about education then though do they? They want them gone to make room for the next hot shot recruit. Fans and administrators at ALL schools are hypocritical as ****. It's all bull****.

When I watched Roy WIlliams (Coach of the North carolina Tar Heels Basketball team) address issues with
Education and sports...I became more convinced that the more you lower your standards the better your
team may be.

I like Roy have for years...His statements were very candid, but you could see the inner struggle with him
in terms of being able to maintain great athletics and high standards in education. He seems very conflicted
and I can tell he may not be coaching backetball very much longer. He stated there was a time when
a professor and coach would talk and converse, but now a days if he sees a professor he is running the other
direction. THere is concern that kids can't even read on a 4th and 5th grade level. His response was
"I just get paid to call a zone defense or go man to man".....

When a kid says he is all about "education" I tend to fall back because if that is the case all these kids would
try to flock to coral gables its seems Miami wants to graduate their Student athletes. I just think they are placing
emphasis in "STUDENT" in the phrase student-athlete. Which oddly and sadly makes me more of a believer
that until the ADMINISTRATION changes I don't care who is coaching this team...it will still be hard to get
the type of athletes on a CONSISTENT basis into the program...

We will always get good players but to build a national championship team in coral gambles unfortunately maybe
a bigger struggle then we want to believe...can it happen YES...but it is a huge challenge when you have things like
this going on...

85% of these kids don't give a **** about school. They wanna go play ball, party and chill.

We're not gonna win if we keep our standards up so high. pretty simple.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back