Make Sure every kid considering FSU reads this

Some of you are going to be upset since the U is an institute of higher learning and I don't think the present administration will change the system.

Again, it's "all about the U", it's not about Canes football, that is the way the University conducts its priorities. Suntan U was a laughing stock and now that has been taken over by Canes Football.

Advertisement
We will see what's up next year when the new athletic academic requirements kick in. If you want to educate yourself on what's about to happen, go read the new reforms coming down and ask yourself what teams like FSU will do. We're talking significant changes here, especially when it comes to new student athletes and what they need to qualify to get into school. We are also talking very harsh penalties for teams that don't graduate their players and have below a certain APR. "Give me winners" is well and good, but that's not where the NCAA is headed. Just watch.

Duke, Wake and BC have played in more ACC title games than we have. Stanford is really struggling. Let's not act like it's an impossible task to ask football players to attend classes.

I don't know about yall but I want kids who's number 1 priority is making it to the league. Its great that our student athletes are getting an incredible education. But do we really want to be Harvard South? Or win Championships?

We had those. They left a year too soon to join practice squads.

There are times when the person has the drive to get to the league and you want that. What you don't want is the half-assed, me first/team second, I'm on my way to the show attitude that we have had recently.

Advertisement
I'm not sure why a kid would care about the graduation rate of the football team where he's going to play. If he cares about his personal education, the fact that other football players at the school won't graduate won affect what he does. He will still go to class, study, and get his grades. If he doesn't care about academics then the point is moot from the beginning. Now whether the school itself is any good might be a factor, but FSU isn't a horrible school academically. IMHO we just won't get much headway recruiting on an individual basis throwing our grad rate out there compared to the competition. It's a nice thing to tout generally, but it isn't driving any high level recruits decision making.

I think we should make David Perry a huge part of the recruiting pitch to parents.

"Here's how much we care about our kids' future. Meet David Perry. A 5th year senior whose cost our university over a half million dollars and doesn't have a defensive statistic. Even though he hasn't made one meaningful play on the football field we fully paid for his Bachelor's Degree and half his Masters Degree."

I don't know about yall but I want kids who's number 1 priority is making it to the league. Its great that our student athletes are getting an incredible education. But do we really want to be Harvard South? Or win Championships?

We had those. They left a year too soon to join practice squads.

There are times when the person has the drive to get to the league and you want that. What you don't want is the half-assed, me first/team second, I'm on my way to the show attitude that we have had recently.

You mean the Ray Ray persona.

Advertisement
We can be idealists all we want. But until the NCAA changes the absurdity of the landscape, we just hurt ourselves in the end. 18 year old are adults and are entitled to make choices. If they choose to chase NFL money and dreams, I say more power to them. The university of Miami is unlikely to changed the economic reality of urban african american youth athletes in this country. I highly doubt a single FSU staffer, or fan is bemoaning their title.

Duke, Wake and BC have played in more ACC title games than we have. Stanford is really struggling. Let's not act like it's an impossible task to ask football players to attend classes.

And how many BCS wins do they have?

By the way, academically, Miami isn't in the same class at all with those three mentioned schools.

Advertisement

Exactly, and let's not act like it's an impossible task for football players to be good and academically capable. A big part of the problem is that HS players see that they can do poorly in school and still play in college and have a shot at the league.

Advertisement
The only "graduation rate" most kids care about is how many graduate to the NFL.

And we're falling on our asses in that measure.

You see this Dalvin Cook?!? You think the Oakland Raiders are going to draft you #1 over all in 2017 if you don't have your Liberal Arts degree??? Yea right son!!

You think FSU is any different than Bama, LSU, Ohio State, Auburn, etc when it comes to graduation rates for football players? C'mon man. This is big time college football this **** happens everywhere.

And how many BCS wins do they have?

By the way, academically, Miami isn't in the same class at all with those three mentioned schools.

How many BCS wins does Miami have since joining the ACC?

And by the way, I know academically Miami isn't on the same level as those other schools. That was the point. Other schools with a higher academic reputation have been able to achieve success, and more that Miami has in the last decade. Athletics and academics aren't mutually exclusive. You don't have to be FSU and have classes be optional in order to have success on the field.

Advertisement
Back