Make Sure every kid considering FSU reads this

Dghustla

Junior
excerpt from ESPN article. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...cisco-49ers-becoming-known-west-coast-defense

The real story? Florida State won the final BCS title. In the run-up or the postgame, did you see any media coverage about the Seminoles' 58 percent football graduation rate? The team's 2007 cheating scandal that led to probation? The program's recent history of classifying many players as learning-disabled, waiving most classroom requirements? Any mention that though Florida State had $48 million in football revenue in the last school year, it still charges every undergraduate $245 annually to subsidize NCAA sports?

At Florida State, 65 percent overall of African-American students graduate, but only 50 percent of African-American football players do. Why was the sports media silent on these Florida State issues? Seminoles boosters and alums who are proud of the crystal trophy should feel embarrassed by the football program's subsidies and poor classroom performance. Of the 11 Seminoles selected in last year's NFL draft, eight graduated.

Good for them! But what about the much larger number of Florida State football players who will never take a snap in the NFL, and never walk to "Pomp and Circumstance?" They are used up and thrown away. Florida State and its coaches exploit those players; the sports media is complicit.

You can mock education all you, but at the end of the day that coaching staff in Tallahassee could care less about what truly happens to the young men who join their program once they are no longer able to contribute or are replaced by someone younger. So when you don't make the NFL and don't have a degree you can read about Jimbo Fisher getting another 2 million raiser while you can barely support your family. When Jimbo sits in a parent's home and tell him that he is looking out for the best interest of their child it's a flat out lie.

Advertisement
excerpt from ESPN article. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...cisco-49ers-becoming-known-west-coast-defense

The real story? Florida State won the final BCS title. In the run-up or the postgame, did you see any media coverage about the Seminoles' 58 percent football graduation rate? The team's 2007 cheating scandal that led to probation? The program's recent history of classifying many players as learning-disabled, waiving most classroom requirements? Any mention that though Florida State had $48 million in football revenue in the last school year, it still charges every undergraduate $245 annually to subsidize NCAA sports?

At Florida State, 65 percent overall of African-American students graduate, but only 50 percent of African-American football players do. Why was the sports media silent on these Florida State issues? Seminoles boosters and alums who are proud of the crystal trophy should feel embarrassed by the football program's subsidies and poor classroom performance. Of the 11 Seminoles selected in last year's NFL draft, eight graduated.

Good for them! But what about the much larger number of Florida State football players who will never take a snap in the NFL, and never walk to "Pomp and Circumstance?" They are used up and thrown away. Florida State and its coaches exploit those players; the sports media is complicit.

You can mock education all you, but at the end of the day that coaching staff in Tallahassee could care less about what truly happens to the young men who join their program once they are no longer able to contribute or are replaced by someone younger. So when you don't make the NFL and don't have a degree you can read about Jimbo Fisher getting another 2 million raiser while you can barely support your family. When Jimbo sits in a parent's home and tell him that he is looking out for the best interest of their child it's a flat out lie.

Im with you, but who are we kidding. The kids and their families dont give a F*Ck either. Its up there with the "picking the best academic school is very important to me, because education is very important to me" and the finalists are WVU, Kentucky, LSU, Bama and Auburn. Basically glorified day care centers. These kids chase the money and hype and rarely really consider the education component. When was the last time you heard a top elite recruit seriously talking about "class sizes" and "academic support opportunities" and a schools particular reputation in their chosen field of study?

Chad Thomas might be the only kid in a while I have actually heard talk about it, and its because Music is so important to him, and such a part of his life.

I don't know about yall but I want kids who's number 1 priority is making it to the league. Its great that our student athletes are getting an incredible education. But do we really want to be Harvard South? Or win Championships?

Last edited:
I'm not sure why a kid would care about the graduation rate of the football team where he's going to play. If he cares about his personal education, the fact that other football players at the school won't graduate won affect what he does. He will still go to class, study, and get his grades. If he doesn't care about academics then the point is moot from the beginning. Now whether the school itself is any good might be a factor, but FSU isn't a horrible school academically. IMHO we just won't get much headway recruiting on an individual basis throwing our grad rate out there compared to the competition. It's a nice thing to tout generally, but it isn't driving any high level recruits decision making.

Advertisement
Give me a winning football program over high grad rates any day of the week.

I will agree to disagree with some of you. It's not so much about the grad-rate as it's it about the fact that FSU has shown they could care less about what happens to their athletes after their time at the university is done. Sure every kid thinks he's going to league but that's just not the case. It's silly that some of you think it has to be championships or grades and that you can't do both successfully. News flash we didn't lose to Duke,VaTech and Louisville because of our players spending too much time in the classroom. And if you are minority who can read about the exploitation of young African Americans and say "charge that to the game" you should be ashamed.

Yeah, yeah, say what you want about FSU, but I'd rather have their problem. Just a bunch of tutors and remedial work teachers and get these boys up to speed before they get out. UM on the other hand brags about their high graduation rate in Coral Gables, but aren't letting players IN without a plethora of entrance and academic barriers. These barriers FSU don't use, thus while their student/athletes are LESS ready for the rigors of a college education, they ball out on Saturday. Same thing with Louisville, they get the UM academic rejects and turn out and whip our butts with our very own S. Florida HS students. Even as I don't like what FSU and Louisville do in using their student/athletes for wins & profits, we use them just the same; ours just don't give us the wins & profits but garner us the empty seats generated from the product we put on the field and the subsequent lost columns. Anyway, ***** ESPN, they are just trying to be sanctimonious.

Some of you are going to be upset since the U is an institute of higher learning and I don't think the present administration will change the system.

Advertisement
Some of you are going to be upset since the U is an institute of higher learning and I don't think the present administration will change the system.

Anyone who follows UM religiously understands that. The amount of athletes who continue to get turned away is mounting. Eventually a decision will have to be made.

The "Graduation Rate" thing, is only going to matter to a minority of parents of the kids we are recruiting. Some middle class parents MIGHT find that interesting, but the majority of the inner city type kids we are recruiting, they and their parents could care less about graduation rates. They are all thiking "exposure" "winning" and NFL. All they see are the dollar signs and dont care about anything else.

That would do more to attract today's recruits, than detract them.

Hahahaha 100%. majority of them can continue how they were in highschool with a big chance of going pro....plus get paid to attend

With the explosion of online degrees, the elite ballers can ball out on Saturday then to NFL where they could just get their education online a la Ray Lewis, and still rep their undergrad campus in introductions. Don't think that the LSU, Bama, & FSUs of colleges don't tell recruits and know the fact that a now clear majority of African-Americans nowadays graduate from online Universities, i.e., University of Phoenix, University of Maryland University College, than from the ones that offer campus life & dorms.

Advertisement
I will agree to disagree with some of you. It's not so much about the grad-rate as it's it about the fact that FSU has shown they could care less about what happens to their athletes after their time at the university is done. Sure every kid thinks he's going to league but that's just not the case. It's silly that some of you think it has to be championships or grades and that you can't do both successfully. News flash we didn't lose to Duke,VaTech and Louisville because of our players spending too much time in the classroom. And if you are minority who can read about the exploitation of young African Americans and say "charge that to the game" you should be ashamed.

You can agree to disagree all day, the top schools are not graduating their players. The kids are there to get to the league.

Anyone who follows UM religiously understands that. The amount of athletes who continue to get turned away is mounting. Eventually a decision will have to be made.

Im pretty sure the decision HAS been made. The Administration of UM is not going to go wallow in the gutter for knuckle draggers just to win football games. They have worked VERy hard to improve the rankings and reputation of UM. They arent about to squander all that to win a few football games. UM likes the ACC. It sees itself as being a natural fit with schools like UNC, Duke, Wake Forest, UVa, etc.

That would do more to attract today's recruits, than detract them.

Hahahaha 100%. majority of them can continue how they were in highschool with a big chance of going pro....plus get paid to attend

With the explosion of online degrees, the elite ballers can ball out on Saturday then to NFL where they could just get their education online a la Ray Lewis, and still rep their undergrad campus in introductions. Don't think that the LSU, Bama, & FSUs of colleges don't tell recruits and know the fact that a now clear majority of African-Americans nowadays graduate from online Universities, i.e., University of Phoenix, University of Maryland University College, than from the ones that offer campus life & dorms.

Which furthur reinforce the point

Advertisement
I don't know about yall but I want kids who's number 1 priority is making it to the league. Its great that our student athletes are getting an incredible education. But do we really want to be Harvard South? Or win Championships?

I could be wrong, but I think JJ have about a 70% graduation rate. FSU's at the time was under 20% I think. Not sure if that can be check or not. Just a memory in and old brain.

you guys need to read the comments "school and academics are very important to me (and then go on to list lsu, fsu, marshall, etc)".
when they do that, they are saying the LACK of school and academics is important to me.

If you're argument is based around any part of the educational grad rates of a football program you have already lost the argument.

At Florida State there's always a career as a professional rapist waiting for you. So you got that going for you.

Advertisement
Back