Major potential rule change - Transfers eligible immediately

Advertisement
**** that will be like having trades in the nfl, i dont know if thats good. Maybe someone else has an answer

Geez. Every crybaby prima donna in the country not getting his way will be transferring.

I don't like it. Commitments just lost the last credibility it had left.

For our interests, too much additional interference from handlers, advisers, former HS coaches, etc. to make moves the second there is any ammunition against UM, be it playing time, someone else we're recruiting, etc. At least the one year buffer keeps it a little bit at bay because players aren't immediately of help to another program.

Advertisement
"At the moment, Division I college athletes have to get permission from the school they’re attending to talk with other schools about their transfer options. If they don’t get the green light to do that and still transfer anyways, the student-athlete is prohibited from getting athletics aid for the first year after transferring.

Basically, the group is proposing to do away with that connection that currently exists between financial aid and permission to contact. The group also believes that student-athletes should be able to talk to other coaches without needing permission.

Something else proposed by the group is postgraduate transfers having access to financial aid for the duration of their graduate program.

As for the emphasis of ethical recruiting practices, the group is considering a rule that would make all tampering violations be classified as Level II (major) violations."

Those quotes were from an article on SEC nation, the person who's spearheading the group is the AD at Ole Miss Ross Bjork who worked at Miami a while back.

**** that will be like having trades in the nfl, i dont know if thats good. Maybe someone else has an answer

Could be a little of both. I think it will be good for us because we're a very attractive place to somebody who is playing in bum **** who wants to transfer.

My take on it is, I don't necessarily like it, but I don't hate it either.

If College sports truly is amateurism, it doesn't make much sense to force a kid to sit out a whole season just because he transferred.

It definitely opens up the door for kids to leave a lot faster for not getting PT, but they do that anyway & in all reality, those players won't be convinced regardless of what you say to'em.

It's usually better for your locker room to get guys outta there with that type of a mentality in the first place.

We tend to look at this stuff as always negative to Miami, but the same pros & cons benefit every program, we could benefit from this rule just as much as it could potentially cause problems.

It's all really just about how your Coach runs the program to begin with. Bama has a bunch of transfers every year & kids still line up around the block to sign with them.

This will affect middle of the road teams, for top programs it won't really matter overall.

This would be BAD for college football. Period.

Think about it. Right now a kid's recruitment (and in many cases the accompanying drama) "ends"when the kids sends in his LOI. You want to transfer? There are consequences and a waiting period.

If this rule passes, a kid's recruitment WILL NEVER END. Every elite player will have teams calling him, contacting him, backdoor communicating him, etc etc and it will never end.

It would be the worst thing that ever happened to college football. This is just further proof there are some real ******* morons out there with some really ******* dumb ideas.

Advertisement
It's a tough call for me. Its definitely not fair that coaches can leave at will. But instant transfers open the door to super teams. Imagine if Josh Allen (not a big fan of his) got tired of wasting his time in Wyoming & went to a school like Bama. Or if Oliver had followed Herman to texas?
What about players following coaches when they get a new job? Don't get me wrong.. I wouldn't have cared if coach Richt had brought a few players from Georgia with him. But eventually that shoe ends up on the other foot. What if coach Diaz got a HC job & we lost 5 players who wanted to follow him?
The idea isn't all bad. But it just seems like it will be taken advantage of.

It will probably lead to more parity as the kids from the real good programs transfer down to a slightly lower level school so they can see the field more.

This would help the Canes huge. If a kid took bags to go elsewhere and realizes after he's stuck in Bumble-coitus that Tuscaloosa/Tally/Gainesville/Baton Rough is a dump and not a great place to be a backup 19 year old, Miami would clean up. All else equal Miami offers more than any other school. Nightlife, beautiful weather (aside from this Irma storm), beaches, babes, private school education.

I'd bet that there are 4-5 stars that are third team at Bama that could start for us now at DB. Nigel Knott and Xavier McKinney for example. Free agency is good to Miami in the pros. Would be even more so in college.

This would seriously hurt the lesser programs, no? Late bloomers on those schools would almost certainly transfer to P5. Schools like Alabama would probably scout the entire nation and recruit kids to come to Alabama or some ****. I think it really would hurt the sport.

Advertisement
It's a tough call for me. Its definitely not fair that coaches can leave at will. But instant transfers open the door to super teams. Imagine if Josh Allen (not a big fan of his) got tired of wasting his time in Wyoming & went to a school like Bama. Or if Oliver had followed Herman to texas?
What about players following coaches when they get a new job? Don't get me wrong.. I wouldn't have cared if coach Richt had brought a few players from Georgia with him. But eventually that shoe ends up on the other foot. What if coach Diaz got a HC job & we lost 5 players who wanted to follow him?
I agree with you.

A lot of that already happens right now, Colbert came here mainly because of Diaz & the fact he was completely under utilized at Texas.

As far as Super teams, I don't really see something like that happen, a kid like Josh Allen would only go to Bama to win a Championship, he's the big fish in Wyoming & could end up a 1st draft pick, he doesn't need Bama to increase his profile.

Look at the transfers we had this year alone, nearly every one of them left because they weren't guaranteed to start, they didn't need a rule in place to keep them from leaving, they were gone no matter what.

This would seriously hurt the lesser programs, no? Late bloomers on those schools would almost certainly transfer to P5. Schools like Alabama would probably scout the entire nation and recruit kids to come to Alabama or some ****. I think it really would hurt the sport.

Yes. But F the smaller programs, we're Miami. If Antonio Brown is balling out of his mind at CMU, Khalil Mack is impressing at Buffalo, or TY Hilton is killing it at FIU let's grab them and not make them sit out. It hurts the Group of 5 schools but who cares. Miami which is the only school I give a F about and this helps them. I'm praying this passes

Last edited:
Advertisement
The NFL will love this, because it should be good for player development. Especially all those late bloomers who ended up at smaller schools that will now be able to transfer to larger schools to get increased competition and better development.

But I think it would take away some of what makes college football fun today.

Last edited:
Division I transfer group considering eliminating permission to contact rules – CollegeBasketballTalk

The rule would apply to College Basketball as well, now that's where it would really have a huge negative effect.

I don't necessarily think it will be as bad in Football, but there's definitely legitimate concerns.

I used to love college basketball back in the day, but now it's unwatchable to me. It's impossible to even know who the **** is on what team anymore. All these "one and done" players and the crazy recruiting has ruined college basketball in my eyes.

There was a time when college bball was more fun to watch than the NBA... but not anymore. I just hope college football doesn't go down the same road.

I agree with you.

A lot of that already happens right now, Colbert came here mainly because of Diaz & the fact he was completely under utilized at Texas.

As far as Super teams, I don't really see something like that happen, a kid like Josh Allen would only go to Bama to win a Championship, he's the big fish in Wyoming & could end up a 1st draft pick, he doesn't need Bama to increase his profile.

Look at the transfers we had this year alone, nearly every one of them left because they weren't guaranteed to start, they didn't need a rule in place to keep them from leaving, they were gone no matter what.

That's a good point about Allen. I read somewhere else about smaller schools being poached, so thats what made me think of it. I'm probably just overreacting anyway.

Advertisement
Back