Major Applewhite not expected to get OC Job

We can keep the OC in a cage and not allow him to see daylight and I'll be happy, as long as he out-schemes everyone. I couldn't care less about his recruiting ability, but rather his game planning and play calling.

we say that, but we literally had half this board ***** about mannys recruiting

Advertisement
This is an interesting development. Applewhite was seen as the pick a few days ago, interesting that all that momentum just completely fizzled. Makes me believe that either 1) A better candidate has emerged or 2) Something came up in Applewhite's past or recent tenure at Houston that is preventing Miami from extending the offer.

Advertisement
I want a guy who can call plays. Let the other coaches recruit. Silly to like a OC hire due to recruiting .

I like Applewhite way more then Scott as Scott has never called plays but I will trust Manny. But I doubt it ends up being Scott.

Jesus Christ. Are people on this board really this dumb? Jeff Scott does call plays. He’s not the primary play caller, but he does call plays. You want to know who called the game winning TD pass in Clemson’s NC win over Bama? Jeff Scott did.

Advertisement
Don’t kid yourself you take the guy in Jeff Scott who has played an integral part in Clemson ascension to a top 2 program in the country with elite recruiting and development ability over Brian white Toledo oc signt unseen... and It isn’t close

Advertisement
I hear you and agree, but I have to trust Manny knowing how coaching works. The guys at the bottom of the tree are grinding the most. He may see that the Clemson guy is ready to break out. Who was Tom Herman before OSU or Lincoln Riley before Oklahoma. All these coaches made the transition from position coach to OC. Someone had to see "it" in them to give them the opportunity to be an OC and then a head coach.

We'll see if Manny has the ability to spot talent. I trust Manny until I don't.

Herman didn’t have great stats before Ohio State. But he had plenty of play-calling experience from Rice and Iowa State. But this board would explode with anger if we hired someone with his resume.

Applewhite’s resume is better, and people hate him as an option.

Riley was a G5 coordinator. He was the hottest name in the country when Stoops hired him. And he came with plenty of play-calling experience.

Hiring a guy with none is a risky proposition. And the guys you use to support that concept don’t fit that description.

Last edited:
Why are some here so high on co-OC Scott from Clemson if he doesnt call plays there?
He’s been at Clemson since the ascension of their program he’s coached and recruited
All of the Clemson great receivers and is involved and gameplanning the offense. He knows what he’s doing and more importantly knows the ins and out of Clemson’s offense

Advertisement
He’s been at Clemson since the ascension of their program he’s coached and recruited
All of the Clemson great receivers and is involved and gameplanning the offense. He knows what he’s doing and more importantly knows the ins and out of Clemson’s offense

i didn't. i liked applewhite and he did call plays at UH under herman. scott called plays but wasnt the primary guy

Y’all mofos are such hypocrites. Lol! So you killed Applewhite for allegedly not calling plays when he was at UH..which was a lie..but now we know for a fact Scott didn’t call plays and it’s all good? Lol!

Correction: Scott has called plays, just wasn't the primary play caller.

Advertisement
Back