Main reason for optimism

Dgaf what mario did at Oregon. Team needs to come to play and just win. TVD needs 300+ & 3 TD's. Defense has to limit big plays, force fg's and TO's. bend dont break (d'no style lol).

Program needs a shot in the arm so bad, this is that chance.

Advertisement
I am not calling out that we can't beat Texas A&M, I am pointing out that the OP listed out several examples of Mario getting his teams up for big games but conveniently ignored all of last year when we were certainly not up for any games. Obviously it's a new year, new players, new coaches, etc but I always think it is funny when people cherry pick examples that fit their narrative and don't even address the ones that don't.

J
O
S
H

G
A
T
T
I
S

Your reading comprehension is amazing!!!

Start from the left and work to the right. Youll get there eventually.

We played 2 ranked teams last season and went 0-2. Does that help?

So truthfully mario is 7-8 vs top 25. Yay big game coach!!

Just win games. That's all.
I already made you my Bi.t.ch. Sit down SON and be quiet.

Oh - do I miss the days - no matter the opponent, no matter if we were down in the game, or late in the fourth quarter against FSU several times... never lost faith in us winning. That thought didn't cross my mind......Oh how I miss the 80s and 90s.--- and then again early 2000s

Mario knows that feeling - can he replicate ?

Advertisement
Lmao. Yea you did. You got me good!!!!!

7-8 is top ******* notch.

Wipe marios ball slaw off your chin.
You completely miss the point. Completely. With each new reply, you further demonstrate what an imbecile you are. I'm actually embarrassed for you because you just don't see it, yet you continue replying to me and others on this thread. This is my last reply on this topic because you're not worth my intellectual capital.

Quite honestly, the only reasons I haven't completely annihilated you is because I'm getting old and I'm trying to be nicer as I age and you have Travis Bickle as your avatar, so you can't be totally awful. And yes, I'm talkin' to you.

Thats from a article. Im not comparing anything.

Im simply showing that mario is not some big game coach.

He is average against top 25 teams. Simple as that.

L - FIU at No. 18 PSU in 2007
L - at No. 13 Kansas in 2008
L - at No. 12 USF in 2008 (by 8)
L - at No. 4 Alabama in 2009
L - at No. 1 FU in 2009
L - home vs. No. 18 Louisville in 2012 (by 7... FIU beat them the prior season).

Ranked or not, except for the UL game those were not "big games" for FIU. Those were "go collect a paycheck from the opposing team and get owned" games. Also worth pointing out Mario was 1-1 in bowl games at FIU, who had never been to a bowl game or had a winning season in the program's 5 seasons of existence before Mario.

Looking at his P5 tenure (where I'd agree a ranked opponent should constitute a big game), as HC at OU he was:

L - OU home vs. No. 7 Stanford in 2018
W - at No. 24 Cal
W - home against No. 7 UW
L - at No. 25 WSU
L - home vs. No. 16 Auburn in 2019
W - at No. 25 UW
W - home vs. No. 5 Utah
W - Rose Bowl vs. No. 8 Wisconsin
W - at No. 13 USC in 2020
L - Fiesta Bowl vs. No. 10 Iowa State
W - at No. 3 OSU in 2021
L - at No. 23 Utah
L - home vs. No. 17 Utah

Last season he was 0-2 against UM's ranked opponent (at No. 24 TAMU and at No. 9 Clemson), plus he lost (miserably) to a then-unranked FSU (which I still consider a big game, but whatever).

Judging strictly off Mario's P5 HC record, he's 7-8 when his team plays a ranked opponent. I am not sure how anyone can objectively look at that and honestly say, "Mario has his teams ready for big games." He's got a few "signature wins" to his credit at OU (Utah, USC, and OSU), none so far at UM, and he's lost his fair share of games against ranked opponents (more than he's won). And I don't need to look at Mario's wins/losses at FIU to arrive at that conclusion, either.

Mario's "big game" stats aside, guarded optimism is where I am living. Overall, I liked the coaching changes, believe this team has fewer holes than last year's team, and I saw enough last week to where I can entertain the possibility of winning on Saturday. But I need to see more from this team before I expect them to win against a ranked opponent with a recruiting talent advantage.

We haven’t won an out of conference game against a P5 school since Notre Dame in 2017, going 0-7 with an average defeat of 32-16 since then. Im squarely in the “show me” category. I think we have a decent chance but it’s guarded optimism at best lol
I've already got the beers in - I expect to be drunk by 9pm.

Advertisement
L - FIU at No. 18 PSU in 2007
L - at No. 13 Kansas in 2008
L - at No. 12 USF in 2008 (by 8)
L - at No. 4 Alabama in 2009
L - at No. 1 FU in 2009
L - home vs. No. 18 Louisville in 2012 (by 7... FIU beat them the prior season).

Ranked or not, except for the UL game those were not "big games" for FIU. Those were "go collect a paycheck from the opposing team and get owned" games. Also worth pointing out Mario was 1-1 in bowl games at FIU, who had never been to a bowl game or had a winning season in the program's 5 seasons of existence before Mario.

Looking at his P5 tenure (where I'd agree a ranked opponent should constitute a big game), as HC at OU he was:

L - OU home vs. No. 7 Stanford in 2018
W - at No. 24 Cal
W - home against No. 7 UW
L - at No. 25 WSU
L - home vs. No. 16 Auburn in 2019
W - at No. 25 UW
W - home vs. No. 5 Utah
W - Rose Bowl vs. No. 8 Wisconsin
W - at No. 13 USC in 2020
L - Fiesta Bowl vs. No. 10 Iowa State
W - at No. 3 OSU in 2021
L - at No. 23 Utah
L - home vs. No. 17 Utah

Last season he was 0-2 against UM's ranked opponent (at No. 24 TAMU and at No. 9 Clemson), plus he lost (miserably) to a then-unranked FSU (which I still consider a big game, but whatever).

Judging strictly off Mario's P5 HC record, he's 7-8 when his team plays a ranked opponent. I am not sure how anyone can objectively look at that and honestly say, "Mario has his teams ready for big games." He's got a few "signature wins" to his credit at OU (Utah, USC, and OSU), none so far at UM, and he's lost his fair share of games against ranked opponents (more than he's won). And I don't need to look at Mario's wins/losses at FIU to arrive at that conclusion, either.

Mario's "big game" stats aside, guarded optimism is where I am living. Overall, I liked the coaching changes, believe this team has fewer holes than last year's team, and I saw enough last week to where I can entertain the possibility of winning on Saturday. But I need to see more from this team before I expect them to win against a ranked opponent with a recruiting talent advantage.
Amazing post!

I agree completely.

Let's win and build momentum.

You completely miss the point. Completely. With each new reply, you further demonstrate what an imbecile you are. I'm actually embarrassed for you because you just don't see it, yet you continue replying to me and others on this thread. This is my last reply on this topic because you're not worth my intellectual capital.

Quite honestly, the only reasons I haven't completely annihilated you is because I'm getting old and I'm trying to be nicer as I age and you have Travis Bickle as your avatar, so you can't be totally awful. And yes, I'm talkin' to you.
other-guys.gif

You've done a amazing job proving mario isnt a big game coach.

A fan of a school with 5 rings is bragging about 7-8 vs top 25.

Low T.

Advertisement
Maybe I view "ranked" opponents a bit differently. Since I'm too lazy to look (at least I'm honest about it) what's our record aginst top 20 (the last five are typically separated from the next 16 teams by 10 votes or less) in the past 10 years or so in the FINAL rankings? 🤔

I'd imagine....those stats are gonna be a **** show.

Advertisement
If you want reason for optimism and what is different than last season, take a look at the 5 large men who we line up across the line of scrimmage on the offensive side of the ball.

They are night and day different than what we lined up at those spots last season, especially towards the end of the year.

Like...a massive strength vs an incomprehensible weakness.
And McCoy wearing a TE number. Lee & McCoy just chip and look for LBs, because after you chip the guy Cooper or Mauigoa has, it's over for that defender.

Advertisement
Back