Main reason for optimism

sfcane2

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
Looking objectively, ATM is somewhat more talented, but having followed Mario at Oregon, he consistently had them up for big games (exception being Utah the last season when he had one foot out the door as well as half the team out with injuries.) But they had multiple big game wins when they were the underdog- Ohio State in Columbus, Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl, destroying Utah in the P12 championship, USC in the P12 Championship, Washington when they were playoff contenders. Even games they lost like the Auburn and Stanford games with some late game mistakes, they came to play and physically had their way.

I'm not sure what he does to get the team ready, but they usually over perform in big games.

Advertisement
SmartSelect_20230828_154828_Instagram.jpg

Looking objectively, ATM is somewhat more talented, but having followed Mario at Oregon, he consistently had them up for big games (exception being Utah the last season when he had one foot out the door as well as half the team out with injuries.) But they had multiple big game wins when they were the underdog- Ohio State in Columbus, Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl, destroying Utah in the P12 championship, USC in the P12 Championship, Washington when they were playoff contenders. Even games they lost like the Auburn and Stanford games with some late game mistakes, they came to play and physically had their way.

I'm not sure what he does to get the team ready, but they usually over perform in big games.
I guess we are just ignoring all of last season?

Advertisement
Life advice for a Canes fan:

Go into the game expecting to be blown out and you will be somewhat content when they only lose by 2 TDs.

Ignore any scenario that looks promising or might favor the Canes.
We haven’t won an out of conference game against a P5 school since Notre Dame in 2017, going 0-7 with an average defeat of 32-16 since then. Im squarely in the “show me” category. I think we have a decent chance but it’s guarded optimism at best lol

this is where i am at. i expect to lose. sad but that is what the last 20 years has done to me. other than notre dame we havent pulled off a win that matters in a long time.

that said i know we can win this game. it is not like A&M are world beaters. plus:

not a night game
home game
no wind
short walk to the stadium
we are wearing orange

We haven’t won an out of conference game against a P5 school since Notre Dame in 2017, going 0-7 with an average defeat of 32-16 since then. Im squarely in the “show me” category. I think we have a decent chance but it’s guarded optimism at best lol

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here?
What better time than now?

Advertisement
This is why these hot takes people make about lowering expectations are the worst

Like yeah no **** 8 wins is not something to get excited about

But like, what the **** you want? If someone doesn’t want to celebrate beating Miami of Ohio that’s their business. I’ll take whatever I can get at this point

Advertisement
Advertisement
#7 team in the country
#5 team in the country
#8 team in the country for a Rose Bowl
#13 team in the country for Pac-12 Title
#3 team in the country
In four seasons as Oregon’s head coach, Mario Cristobal was 7-6 against ranked teams. Cristobal previously was 0-6 versus ranked teams as the head coach versus ranked teams in six seasons at FIU.

Advertisement
Back