Mack Brown’s perspective on Bowl season makes you think twice

How’d you like that Virginia beat down they gave your boy Roy?
giphy.gif

Advertisement
This won’t matter here with the people on this site! I def understand what Mack is saying. I think It’s silly to turn down a bowl game

I got 0 gifts growing up for Christmas and if I had the option to get some gifts and go the Shrevenport for Christmas, or not get schit and stay in NYC. I would have chosen not get schit and stay in NYC every single year.

Playing La Tech in some ********* bowl the day after christmas would make my choice even easier.

That said, we obviously can't turn the bowl down because of monetary reasons.

Mack Brown sounds like he believes he recruited kids from the orphanage. ”Give us a medal because just look how much we do for all these poor, disadvantaged, deprived kids with no homes and no where to go!”

Get out of here with that crap. UNC and brown don’t do in home visits at group homes or orphanages. They go into these kids homes, meet their families, eat their home cooked meals on visits, and shake hands. All those kids have families they go home too, especially the holiday season. And the “rare” few that don’t (the Jimmy graham situations” have teammates that would take them in, because many teammates become defacto brothers.

Mack gave an answer that helps brings profits into the system, and I see many of you are eating this up.

Facts are, college football is a year round “business” and these kids are forced to practice during holidays and ALL summer or else those scholarships will get pulled. There is no such thing as going home for P5 football players.

Haha. Great post. People make a lot of money off these bowls. Do they players see any of that? No. Yeah they get a trip and free hotel and some meals. Big effing deal. Give them a piece of the pie and may they could afford some gifts. So stupid.

On the surface Ol' Mack sounds right and is makin' us fans think twice. Has us realizin' that there are young human beings under those helmets with feelings and life stories that might not involve all the blessings we had as kids....

.....then ya think for a second and realize that Mack Brown makes upwards of $4 mil per year. That ol' ******* could give any kid that has nowhere to go a better Christmas than 99% of us have ever had.

I hope his wife burns his cotdam Christmas ham now and that UNC loses to godforsaken Temple in his precious bowl game.

Advertisement
We talking going to Shreveport...OR ..... staying in Miami

Hundreds of thousands of people make that choice and vote with their feet EVERY year in wintertime around Christmas.

Because one's a gift ...the other is punishment

Overwhelmingly, sane people chose staying in Miami.....I cannot for the life of me imagine anyone choosing to be in Shreveport in the wilderness with the thoroughly
unprepared Enos and clueless Diaz at Christmas time for a bowl with nothing to gain and everything to lose.

Have some pride and pass on this.....I cannot imagine Notre Dame opting to go participate in this abomination.

Last edited:
when you live in Miami, not a lot of destinations are that special. Especially Shreveport.
Which is why our team won't show up mentally prepared.

I get what MB is saying, but when you are getting an education at a top university you simply need to take advantage of it, so when your playing days are done you can have a career in something else. At that point you don't have to worry about not having Christmas gifts anymore. Still, he's right. I just wish every "school" focused more on education, not just majoring in football. Football isn't always going to be there for most of these young men. There won't be bowl games for them in 4 years to provide gifts.

I hope UNC has fixed their issues, because they were among the worst at helping players skate through without learning a **** thing.

I get what Mack is saying for sure. No way we should turn a bowl down, even a crappy one, for a variety of reasons. My beef is on the other side. I do get WHY many players entering the draft choose to NOT play in the bowl games, but when did that become a thing? I am a big believer in loyalty to your teammates and seeing something through until the end even with crappy coaching, etc. I understand the risks of playing $$$ blah, blah, blah, but I still don't like it. Guess I am a bit old school when it comes to loyalty to team. IDK.

Advertisement

The players should be paid for playing meaningless bowl games...

The Universities get $millions and the kids simply risk their careers. It’s a BS “plantation slave” racket by the NCAA and universities.

Players need to ban together and refuse to play bowl game if they don’t get a slice of the pie.

The racket would change overnight.

I support every player who sits out the bowl games to save their draft potential. NFL evaluators don’t judge those games anyways. It’s your combined stats and the NFL workout that counts anyways

It makes sense for lower-level teams but shouldn't apply to miami. The standard here should be NY6 or playoffs and that's what you expect to play for every year.

I don't have a problem with meaningless bowls because I enjoy watching football, but what I do have a problem with is that being the program's new standard.

its not about the standard or quality. hes just saying that whatever **** bowl these teams end up at (which anger fans), they should realize that there is more to it than just football or the name of the bowl.

I get what Mack is saying for sure. No way we should turn a bowl down, even a crappy one, for a variety of reasons. My beef is on the other side. I do get WHY many players entering the draft choose to NOT play in the bowl games, but when did that become a thing? I am a big believer in loyalty to your teammates and seeing something through until the end even with crappy coaching, etc. I understand the risks of playing $$$ blah, blah, blah, but I still don't like it. Guess I am a bit old school when it comes to loyalty to team. IDK.

all programs have players sit out the bowl game if theyre leaving early. not just a miami thing or even a crappy coaching thing. the way its set up now is if theyre not in a playoff game, it doesnt matter in terms of the result. whether they play or not, they still get the goodies that go along with the bowl. these kids are individual businesses and theyre just taking care of their stock.

The players should be paid for playing meaningless bowl games...

The Universities get $millions and the kids simply risk their careers. It’s a BS “plantation slave” racket by the NCAA and universities.

Players need to ban together and refuse to play bowl game if they don’t get a slice of the pie.

The racket would change overnight.

I support every player who sits out the bowl games to save their draft potential. NFL evaluators don’t judge those games anyways. It’s your combined stats and the NFL workout that counts anyways

itll start to turn when a player (big time one) sits out a playoff game imo.

Advertisement
Mack Brown sounds like he believes he recruited kids from the orphanage. ”Give us a medal because just look how much we do for all these poor, disadvantaged, deprived kids with no homes and no where to go!”

Get out of here with that crap. UNC and brown don’t do in home visits at group homes or orphanages. They go into these kids homes, meet their families, eat their home cooked meals on visits, and shake hands. All those kids have families they go home too, especially the holiday season. And the “rare” few that don’t (the Jimmy graham situations” have teammates that would take them in, because many teammates become defacto brothers.

Mack gave an answer that helps brings profits into the system, and I see many of you are eating this up.

Facts are, college football is a year round “business” and these kids are forced to practice during holidays and ALL summer or else those scholarships will get pulled. There is no such thing as going home for P5 football players.

You are as guilty of generalizations as he is.

Brown is just trying to state rationale to go to a meaningless bowl game. That doesn’t mean he really believes it.

Advertisement
all programs have players sit out the bowl game if theyre leaving early. not just a miami thing or even a crappy coaching thing. the way its set up now is if theyre not in a playoff game, it doesnt matter in terms of the result. whether they play or not, they still get the goodies that go along with the bowl. these kids are individual businesses and theyre just taking care of their stock.
I realize all of that, thanks. Doesn't mean my old school *** has to like it. :(

It makes sense for lower-level teams but shouldn't apply to miami. The standard here should be NY6 or playoffs and that's what you expect to play for every year.

I don't have a problem with meaningless bowls because I enjoy watching football, but what I do have a problem with is that being the program's new standard.
No. Should not be a standard. Should aspire to the best. But you don't sit one out and sulk.

a vacation and gifts, can't complain

Also, correct moi if I'm wrong, but don't the players get a daily FOOD per diem when they attend said bowl game. Because other than social team meals, the players probably go their way on other meals and all that. In other words, all the players chow down on a FIRST CLASS basis. Or should I say no peanut butter and grape jelly sandwiches and what not. Or is that bologna and cheap cheese sandwiches. :ttdg2m10mxvzxan.jpg:

Advertisement
Back