Luther Robinson and Chase Ford...

Not surprised by Luther Robinson. He was a misfit in what he was asked to do here. Complete upfield guy.

There is a lot to nit pick this staff about, but the fact that Robinson is playing for the Packers is a bad example imo? Was he not playing in Josh Boyd position for the Packers tonight as the backup 3 tech behind Jones? Guess what Dom has his 3 tech's do in his defense. Actually just look at what BJ Raji said about Dom Capers 3 tech position, since that's what he played the last three seasons before moving back to nose this season.

At the 3-technique position, where he has played since Pickett moved to nose in 2011, Raji's primary responsibility has been to "grab guards," as he told Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel this season, because Dom Capers "likes his linebackers clean."

"I look at those numbers," said Raji, perusing a sheet with his year-by-year statistics. "It's not a coincidence that my best statistical year was when I was a nose. Right now, on first and second down, we're asked to grab guards. Dom (Capers) likes his linebackers clean. That's my job right now."
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...packers-can-build-a-top-3-run-defense-in-2014

Luther Robinson being in the league, playing for a defense that asks him to do the things we hate about this defense isn't an example of a player being misused in this system imo.

Your right looks like ****** coaching was indeed that culprit then, thanks for clearing that up.

Advertisement
Robinson didn't record one single stat tonight other than 1 QB hurry.....

He's only playing because of the massive injuries on the Packers D line. ...
SMH here we go with the grasping for straws crap again just to bash anyone

Advertisement
Not surprised by Luther Robinson. He was a misfit in what he was asked to do here. Complete upfield guy.

There is a lot to nit pick this staff about, but the fact that Robinson is playing for the Packers is a bad example imo? Was he not playing in Josh Boyd position for the Packers tonight as the backup 3 tech behind Jones? Guess what Dom has his 3 tech's do in his defense. Actually just look at what BJ Raji said about Dom Capers 3 tech position, since that's what he played the last three seasons before moving back to nose this season.

At the 3-technique position, where he has played since Pickett moved to nose in 2011, Raji's primary responsibility has been to "grab guards," as he told Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel this season, because Dom Capers "likes his linebackers clean."

"I look at those numbers," said Raji, perusing a sheet with his year-by-year statistics. "It's not a coincidence that my best statistical year was when I was a nose. Right now, on first and second down, we're asked to grab guards. Dom (Capers) likes his linebackers clean. That's my job right now."
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1942926-how-green-bay-packers-can-build-a-top-3-run-defense-in-2014

Luther Robinson being in the league, playing for a defense that asks him to do the things we hate about this defense isn't an example of a player being misused in this system imo.
Shhh don't tell them this.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...packers-can-build-a-top-3-run-defense-in-2014

He was in on a 1st and 5 in the example at hand and I imagine he'll be used to his strengths (going upfield and used in stunts/games). I don't know if you saw the play, but he wasn't just standing there grabbing in contain. Raji's a completely different player, FWIW. I could see his strengths being used differently, which would make sense.

Last edited:

He was in on a passing down in the example at hand and I imagine he'll be used to his strengths. I don't know if you saw the play, but he wasn't just standing there grabbing in contain. Raji's a completely different player, FWIW. I could see his strengths being used differently, which would make sense.

Strange concept using players with different skill sets in different roles. Even the quote from Raji says he's grabbing guards on standard run downs.

He was in on a passing down in the example at hand and I imagine he'll be used to his strengths. I don't know if you saw the play, but he wasn't just standing there grabbing in contain. Raji's a completely different player, FWIW. I could see his strengths being used differently, which would make sense.

It was 1st and 5 that's not a passing down and he was playing a 3 tech as the LDE next to Matthews. The line slide left on the PA and he initially slide with it holding up the guard, recognized pass, and did a rip and was able to get in Ponder's face as he released the ball.

Advertisement

It was 1st and 5 that's not a passing down and he was playing a 3 tech as the LDE next to Matthews. The line slide left on the PA and he initially slide with it holding up the guard, recognized pass, and did a rip and was able to get in Ponder's face as he released the ball.

I edited my post before you responded. For whatever reason, I remembered it as a 3rd and 5. I went back and checked. Either way, he wasn't in grab and contain, as you noted. He recognized PA and went upfield after he shed his G. That is the best part of his skill set. Would you disagree?

Luther Robinson makes one play and now he is a star in the eyes of some. LMAO.

Most people are noting he's getting PT in the NFL. Getting any PT and hanging around the NFL isn't an easy task. Certainly, as an underperformer and backup throughout all of college, you'd think he wouldn't even get a look. Make your own inferences from that, I guess.

Agreed. However, one thing being mentioned here is that L.Robinson is an up field player etc. While I do agree with that, if you watch the play where he deflected the pass, he didn't initially rush up-field, he stood his guy up, waiting to diagnose run vs. pass, and then rush up field. Similar to what our guys are doing down here from a pure responsibility perspective.

GB plays a 3-4 and while considerably more aggressive than our putrid defensive scheme, still isn't the best defense to suit his strength. Just sayin'

Was it ol Luther that got in trouble for being too aggressive?

yup, that sure enough was him that got put in the dog house for freelancing an getting tackles for loss.

[video=youtube;aLMiiwHxUv4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLMiiwHxUv4[/video]

I have said before that Ed Reed would have never seen the field with this staff and defense. Way too much freelancing by Ed for him to ever amount to anything. Oh, wait......

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1942926-how-green-bay-packers-can-build-a-top-3-run-defense-in-2014

i presonnally don't like greenbay's defense. i feel it has been holding them back the past few years and doesn't make sense schematically. especially when they have that dumb 2 d linemen, 4 lbs, and 5 db alignment that gets absolutely shredded by the running game.

Advertisement

i presonnally don't like greenbay's defense. i feel it has been holding them back the past few years and doesn't make sense schematically. especially when they have that dumb 2 d linemen, 4 lbs, and 5 db alignment that gets absolutely shredded by the running game.

And that is with NFL caliber players that have loads more time to practice and meet with coaches to get the scheme down. However, our coaching staff tries to implement it with 20 total hours a week of practice, film study, and meetings.

Square peg, round hole.

Luther Robinson makes one play and now he is a star in the eyes of some. LMAO.

Most people are noting he's getting PT in the NFL. Getting any PT and hanging around the NFL isn't an easy task. Certainly, as an underperformer and backup throughout all of college, you'd think he wouldn't even get a look. Make your own inferences from that, I guess.

Agreed. However, one thing being mentioned here is that L.Robinson is an up field player etc. While I do agree with that, if you watch the play where he deflected the pass, he didn't initially rush up-field, he stood his guy up, waiting to diagnose run vs. pass, and then rush up field. Similar to what our guys are doing down here from a pure responsibility perspective.

GB plays a 3-4 and while considerably more aggressive than our putrid defensive scheme, still isn't the best defense to suit his strength. Just sayin'

He didn't really stand his guy up. He read and ripped. If he's going to be expected to grab and play 2-gap against the run ala Raji, he's not really that type of player. Luther is simply better on the move. That play was about getting upfield in the pass game (once he read PA).

I agree completely with the rest.

Advertisement
chase ford is a pretty good example of the downside of taking JUCO guys, which is that they're not *actually* ready to play right away so you put in two years developing the kid only for him to leave and take that to the NFL. oh well.

For the people saying Luther is two gapping:

the Lebeau/Capers version of two gap is very very different from the Parcells (which we run). It's more like a one gap system but first you crush the OL and then get your hips in the gap. The gap you throw your hips into is based on the flow of the play. It's a faster reaction, and physically much easier. It's technically a one gap method, but your one gap is determined by the flow of the play.

In our much older version, our guys have to stack the OL and read the play. They then are asked to get off the block to tackle the ball carrier through either gap on both sides. It's much much more physically difficult, and reactions are slower.

For the people saying Luther is two gapping:

the Lebeau/Capers version of two gap is very very different from the Parcells (which we run). It's more like a one gap system but first you crush the OL and then get your hips in the gap. The gap you throw your hips into is based on the flow of the play. It's a faster reaction, and physically much easier. It's technically a one gap method, but your one gap is determined by the flow of the play.

In our much older version, our guys have to stack the OL and read the play. They then are asked to get off the block to tackle the ball carrier through either gap on both sides. It's much much more physically difficult, and reactions are slower.

By younger, less physically developed players.

Advertisement
Back