LSU - UCF Fiesta Bowl

Advertisement
I'm pulling for the under dog here , UCF good kids been kept down being told there not worthy yet they got SPUNK with us against the world mindset.

UCF is very dangerous kind of reminds me of a football team many years ago when they got no respect yet no one wanted to play them.

UCF will fight there butts off they may not win but I assure you LSU and others will know they were in a dog fight running to there locker room.

UCF wins because LSU plays nonchalantly and looks up as the ball goes through the goal post

Miami also went out and TOOK respect. Miami went out and played teams in their house and beat them. If people weren't willing to come to Miami, the 'Canes went to them, and took their lunch money. Schools like UCF are doing the reverse. Putting all their eggs in the "Play no one worth a ****, and then complain their way to money" basket. Boise invented it, and UCF is just the latest program to pull it off. UCF could EASILY call Miami and ask for another series, they won't. They won't call FSU either. Those two programs have shown recently and over the last 30 years that they will play mid majors, even come to their barns on occasion.

Advertisement
Miami also went out and TOOK respect. Miami went out and played teams in their house and beat them. If people weren't willing to come to Miami, the 'Canes went to them, and took their lunch money. Schools like UCF are doing the reverse. Putting all their eggs in the "Play no one worth a ****, and then complain their way to money" basket. Boise invented it, and UCF is just the latest program to pull it off. UCF could EASILY call Miami and ask for another series, they won't. They won't call FSU either. Those two programs have shown recently and over the last 30 years that they will play mid majors, even come to their barns on occasion.

I have to say honestly you raise very good points here hard to argue with this post..

Yeah, it's sad how much better this AD is in comparison to Miami. His coach is 12-0 in his first season, 2nd with the team, and he hasn't prematurely extended his contract or anything like Flake has done. Still, you have to wonder why UCF hasn't rode the wave and lobbied to join the ACC or SEC.

They have been trying their best to get into one of the P5s... no much incentive for the any of them to let UCF in.

Advertisement
Ed doesn't have the luxury that Stoops had at OU when he all but admitted that unless the bowl game meant a championship, he didn't really give a **** and treated the experience as a reward for his players. Ed needs to win against UCF or they may fire him after the final whistle. He won't take the Stoops approach to this game.

How many kids will declare for the draft for LSU and sit out the game? That could be an issue with them. There's no doubt that UCF is a solid team and will be up again for this years bowl game.

Yes, their AD COULD get these kinds of games scheduled but refuses to do so unless it's a home and away. It's my understanding they turned down a deal with UF for 2 in Gainesville in one in Orlando. Well, if you're not willing to do whatever it takes to get games needed to make the playoffs, then stop crying about not having any ability to get there.

No, I don't think any major P5 programs are "scared" to schedule UCF.

You have no idea what you are talking about... I live in Orlando and have a son who goes there. They have been trying to get the P5s to play them... no one wanted touch them once they were doing well...

Yeh, the BS gator story... all PR...they would never play a good OCC schedule outside of Gainesville unless they are compelled by legislation....

.... the lizards also tried to pull that with us once we started winning ... and SamJ and Dee told them to go to **** with their home two-one away proposal.
Say what you want about old Bobby, but he never shied away from playing us (to his detriment) even when the Gators and Irish bailed out..

Last edited:
same thing was said last year when they played auburn. and auburn didn't care about the game and just used it for practice.

Auburn had just come off their loss in the SEC title game, which means their SEC championship was gone and so were their playoff chances.

Think about reversing that game. What if they played UCF during the time that it actually mattered to Auburn. How would the result of that game differed from the actual bowl game? It probably would have been a pretty drastic change of events.

I agree with most everything you said. However, the landscape of CFB has changed and it's not as easy to do what Miami pulled off 30ish years ago. What Miami did just can't be replicated in today's CFB in terms of creating a schedule like that. Miami was an independent back then so they weren't locked into having to play X number of conference games, which then limits the number of OOC games you can play.

I disagree on the picking up the phone and trying to schedule something with the big boys. I'm pretty sure White, the AD, has done it. Whether or not any kind of agreement can be put in place is another story. I'll agree though that they should just go the route of agreeing to 1 road game deal if that's what it takes...beggars can't be choosers.

Advertisement
They have been trying their best to get into one of the P5s... no much incentive for the any of them to let UCF in.

Only chance I see them getting is if the Big12 decides to expand and wants the Orlando/Tampa TV markets. No chance they get in the SEC/ACC

You have no idea what you are talking about... I live in Orlando and have a son who goes there. They have been trying to get the P5s to play them... no one wanted touch them once they were doing well...

Yeh, the BS gator story... the lizards tried to pull that with us once we started winning ... and SamJ and Dee told them to go to **** with their home two-one away proposal.
Say what you want about old Bobby, but he never shied away from playing us (to his detriment) even when the Gators and Irish bailed out..

It was reported that Florida Citrus Sports was trying to have UCF/Bama open the season this year (UCF would replace Louisville). UCF was open to it, but the logistics of moving games around for Louisville and UCF's opening game opponent, along with any potential contractual buyouts were too much to overcome.

I agree with most everything you said. However, the landscape of CFB has changed and it's not as easy to do what Miami pulled off 30ish years ago. What Miami did just can't be replicated in today's CFB in terms of creating a schedule like that. Miami was an independent back then so they weren't locked into having to play X number of conference games, which then limits the number of OOC games you can play.

I disagree on the picking up the phone and trying to schedule something with the big boys. I'm pretty sure White, the AD, has done it. Whether or not any kind of agreement can be put in place is another story. I'll agree though that they should just go the route of agreeing to 1 road game deal if that's what it takes...beggars can't be choosers.
Why is it that a school like Houston managed to get OU on the schedule? Why is it that Toledo and Appy St. got Miami? UCF was pure garbage when this set of schedules were created. No one would have been scared of then then. No one is scared now, UCF knows that if they whine, simps will take up their cause. Why risk a loss when you can maybe whine your way in?

Advertisement

Yeh, the BS gator story... all PR...they would never play a good OCC schedule outside of Gainesville unless they are compelled by legislation....

.... the lizards also tried to pull that with us once we started winning ... and SamJ and Dee told them to go to **** with their home two-one away proposal.
Your narrative has more holes in it than the cheese on the turkey and swiss sandwich I am eating right now. But it's all good, bud. If spitting the "UCF is one of the best teams in the country and all the P5 powers are afraid of playing them"-narrative makes you feel better, have at it! Coincidentally, I lived very close to Orlando for several years and my brother is a UCF alumni as well. I don't speak from ignorance.

Last edited:
It was reported that Florida Citrus Sports was trying to have UCF/Bama open the season this year (UCF would replace Louisville). UCF was open to it, but the logistics of moving games around for Louisville and UCF's opening game opponent, along with any potential contractual buyouts were too much to overcome.
Whew! Glad to hear there were some other details behind why it didn't happen. It was my understanding Bama was simply terrified to play UCF.

Whew! Glad to hear there were some other details behind why it didn't happen. It was my understanding Bama was simply terrified to play UCF.

I never said bama was scared to play them...but go ahead and put words in my mouth. Simply pointing out that there are logistics to this. It's not as simple as you all make it seem. It's like everyone on here saying we just need an innovative OC to fix our problems. yes on the surface that's the answer, but there are things that come into play (like CMR signing off on it). Sure they can get all the big name schools to sign up, but it wouldn't be for several years anyways since schedules are made well in advance.

I'm just providing additional info, you have your opinion which is fine. At the end of the day neither of our opinions matter and will change anything.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/open-mike/os-sp-usf-gators-ucf-home-games-20180522-story.html

Seems UCF needs to decide what is more important to them: scheduling the games needed to have a realistic shot at making the playoffs even if it isn't always a home and away, or sticking to their guns on scheduling out of principle or for financial reasons and being right where they are no matter how many games in a row they win.

Not saying it's fair, but it is what it is. So everyone needs to stop with the "the current system does not allow a school like UCF to make the playoffs"-narrative. It was articulated very well earlier in this thread had challenging and unfair it is, but there is a way. And, no, marquee P5 teams aren't "scared" to play the Knights, they just have the ability to force it to be done on their own terms or not do it at all. Tough sh-it, UCF, life isn't fair. You want the respect you so eagerly crave? Then go do whatever the **** has to be done to make it happen. Period.

Advertisement
Back