LSU Fall Practice Info Drop Thread

Advertisement
I really don’t know crap about them.
Who are the top players on offense and defense we have to watch out for?

Advertisement
@ Torocane

**LSU fans expect Joe Burrow (Ohio State transfer) to win the qb battle in fall camp.

** At WR LSU landed two five star wrs last recruiting cycle in Terrace Marshall and Ja'Marr Chase and both are expected to play right away.

** At Rb, Nick Brossette is the favorite to win the starting job

** LSU's defense is led by these 2 guys

Advertisement
From the intel I have done so far since I plan on laying some heavy money on this game..

**Joe Burrow according to numerous OSU fans I have spoken to who are in the know is not the answer for LSU. They were extremely down on him while he was at OSU (kind of like how our fan base is down on Rosier). But worse. They said he never did anything meaningful at OSU and if LSU is hitching their wagon to him they are in for a long season. He can run and scramble so watch out for that but he isn't accurate at all and has no touch on his throws. Live arm but cant harness it. Will lose them games.

**They don't have a proven RB or WR which bodes well for us again. Unproven QBs/RBs and WRs is a good sign for us seeing that our D is very experienced. They don't have much confidence in the RB position which is why Orgeron is transitioning to this 4-5 WR set offense. They like their WR depth and overall talent. Just unproven.

**As always, they are depending on their D to carry them. A lot of talent and experience and a lot of transfers as well. Somebodys draft stock is going to be hurt after Greedy Williams and Ahmmon Richards go toe to toe for 60min. They have a lot of 5* talent in the secondary but a lot of it is unproven as well. Delpit and Battle are experienced but behind those 3 its a crap shoot. Obviously Devin White is the man in the middle so Homer will have to earn his yards on that night. Overall they are expecting a good to great D. Sound familiar?

Will provide more as I do more research..

I've reviewed what their new OC Steve Ensminger does, based on the mid to latter portion of the 2016 season, and I'll be pretty blunt in saying this, I am happy, for our sake, that Ed Orgeron fired Matt Canada and replaced him with Ensminger.
Based on stats alone, this common theme stated by Orgeron regarding how the offense in 2016 had a significant uptick with him Ensminger calling the plays with the same playbook at Cam Cameron is skewed big time based on who they played. Let's look at the first four games (these are the games Cam Cameron was OC):

LSU vs Wisconsin - 16 - 14 L (Dave Arranda DC)
LSU vs Jacksonville State - 34 - 12 W
MissSt vs LSU - 23 - 20 W (This MSU team was lousy and Dan Mullen was the HC, and after the year they got drained of some NFL talent)
LSU vs AU - 18-13 L

As you can see they played a hefty front end loaded schedule with some very strong defense. UW had Dave Arranda as their DC and were firing on all cylinders then, as he grew his reputation. AU traditionally has a strong defense and a ball control offense (less opportunities to put up pts and yards).
The opportunities to pad stats were vs MSU and JSU, but this team had Fournette with Guice backing him up. So they would run the ball ad nauseum and why not? Especially with a trash QB and garbage WRs.

Schedule with Steve Ensminger:

Mizz vs LSU - 42 - 7 W
Southern Mizz - 45 - 10 W
LSU vs Ole Miss - 38 - 21 W
Alabama - LSU - 10 - 0 L
Arky vs LSU - 38 - 10 W
UF vs LSU - 16 - 10 L
TAMU vs LSU - 54 - 39 W (Always had terrible Defense with Sumlin especially Run D)
Louisville vs LSU - 29 - 9 W (UK put up 41 on them that same year!)
Chattanoga vs LSU - 45 - 0 W

As noted above when they played a competent defense who could stop the run they were fudged. Now it clearly shows a noticeable uptick with pts (and likely total yards) but consider who they played with the notes above.

I'm expecting the same type of offense we've all seen during the Les Mile's era. He's a classic old white guy that runs under center with I formations. Run Iso's and tosses and runs bootlegs and Play Action deep balls.
Don't expect anything fancy. If rumours are true, they're going 4 or 5 wide, then I expect QB Leads, QB Sweeps, Jet Sweeps with tonens of quick WR screens and slants with the occasional deep shot. If you look at his resume he has not been around any variations of the Spread other then last year with Matt Canada.

My expectation is, if we can stop the run on 1st and 2nd down, I expect I'll be having my arms up at the end of the game. If we can't control the run game, then it's gonna be a long day for the Hurricanes and we're going to have to rely on a shoot out type day.

I expect a Win for the The U something around 27 -10. We're just too dam fast to not get some deep shots, like last year.

Last edited:
#40 is a stud, first round NFL pick. Big and fast, we need to use his speed against him on some misdirection plays.

Advertisement
@ Torocane

**LSU fans expect Joe Burrow (Ohio State transfer) to win the qb battle in fall camp.

** At WR LSU landed two five star wrs last recruiting cycle in Terrace Marshall and Ja'Marr Chase and both are expected to play right away.

** At Rb, Nick Brossette is the favorite to win the starting job

** LSU's defense is led by these 2 guys

RB reminds me of ND RB from last year, and our D may be too fast for them to get that going...

I like our established identity and known commodities vs their new-comers and unknowns. I also like our trajectory vs theirs.

Last edited:
RB reminds me of ND RB from last year, and our D may be too fast for them to get that going... I like our established identity and known commodities vs their new-comers and unknowns. I also like our trajectory vs theirs.
From all the reports I saw they are supposed to be starting some 5’8 205-210pound running back. None of those guys have much experience at all

Advertisement
From the intel I have done so far since I plan on laying some heavy money on this game..

**Joe Burrow according to numerous OSU fans I have spoken to who are in the know is not the answer for LSU. They were extremely down on him while he was at OSU (kind of like how our fan base is down on Rosier). But worse. They said he never did anything meaningful at OSU and if LSU is hitching their wagon to him they are in for a long season. He can run and scramble so watch out for that but he isn't accurate at all and has no touch on his throws. Live arm but cant harness it. Will lose them games.

**They don't have a proven RB or WR which bodes well for us again. Unproven QBs/RBs and WRs is a good sign for us seeing that our D is very experienced. They don't have much confidence in the RB position which is why Orgeron is transitioning to this 4-5 WR set offense. They like their WR depth and overall talent. Just unproven.

**As always, they are depending on their D to carry them. A lot of talent and experience and a lot of transfers as well. Somebodys draft stock is going to be hurt after Greedy Williams and Ahmmon Richards go toe to toe for 60min. They have a lot of 5* talent in the secondary but a lot of it is unproven as well. Delpit and Battle are experienced but behind those 3 its a crap shoot. Obviously Devin White is the man in the middle so Homer will have to earn his yards on that night. Overall they are expecting a good to great D. Sound familiar?

Will provide more as I do more research..

Agreed. On Burrow, he never really pushed Barrett while at OSU, and with Barrett gone you'd think he'd be in line to start if he were really any good. I don't buy the idea that he's this top flight QB capable of leading a major program to greatness. Otherwise, he wouldn't have left OSU. He left OSU because he wasn't going to play and he wasn't going to play because he isn't that good.

We should be able to take advantage of Burrow. Idc if he ends up being good or not, but it's his first start ever and it's in a big time game, he should make some mistakes and we need to capitalize on those mistakes. Manny should pressure him all game long.

On the flip side, Rosier NEEDS to take care of the ball. I don't think their offense will be able to do that much. Something like 10-20 points. Rosier can't give them short fields and we can't allow their defense to score.

Last edited:
We should be able to take advantage of Burrow. Idc if he ends up being good or not, but it's his first start ever and it's in a big time game, he should make some mistakes and we need to capitalize on those mistakes. Manny should pressure him all game long.

On the flip side, Rosier NEEDS to take care of the ball. I don't think their offense will be able to do that much. Something like 10-20 points. Rosier can't give them short fields and their defense can't score.

I was just thinking the same thing, but I don't want Manny to get too crazy with that. Like you said it's Burrow's first real playing opportunity and he is bound to make mistakes. I just pray we see smart timely pressures and force them behind the sticks on early downs. Also, cover the middle of the field for once.

You bring up the 2 keys to the game. Both QBs.

Advertisement
Back