LSU DC talks preparing for Miami

It’s because you’re a high school coach constantly implying that every slip up by our team is a direct result of our coaches not knowing what the fvck they’re doing.

Nobody denies that you know your way around a chalk board, but you’re coming off like a computer nerd spitting acronyms and technical jargon trying to sound intellectually superior rather than actually making a point.

Of course you can run Quarters out of an odd front, but that wasn’t the point. There is an incorrect notion on this board, kept alive mainly by people who ought to know better, that Pitt did something special to Hold our tailbacks to 16 yards and force Rosier to attempt 45 passes. They didn’t. They didn’t stuff 8 or 9 guys into the box. They ran their base defense, or a very slight variation, on every play—Cover 4/Quarters.

This wasn’t some new scheme they drew up special to exploit Malik’s accuracy issues or Richt’s play calling. It was the same defense they ran on just about every play the entire season. It’s the same defense that got them a 4-7 record, and the 60th ranked run defense.

We just plain suck running the football. We had the 79th best rush offense—115th if you remove Rosier’s 480 yards. Aranda and LSU aren’t about to adopt a new defensive philosophy to slow down the Nation’s 115th best rushing attack.

We were down right awful run blocking last season, and not being able to run the football severely limits what you can do on offense. You have to figure out some way to get 3 or 4 yards on 1st down to stay ahead of the sticks, and when you can’t run the ball, that means a **** ton of short passes.

Pitt didn’t gameplan to take away our run game. They took away the quick, short passes knowing full well how bad we sucked running the football.

But you’re a coach. I’m sure you know all this.

You didn’t use to be this way. You used to actually post decent, insightful material. Maybe it’s just the off-season. Maybe being a film junkie causes you to nitpick. Whatever it is, more often than not you look right past the obvious trying to find a flaw in the coaching.

If everyone else has 85 players, but you only get 70, your depth isn’t going to be as good as everyone else’s. You rarely notice depth until you don’t have it. Until you have to run your base 4-3 against 4 wide because you don’t have enough bodies at DB who know what to do and can tackle to run nickel or dime.

Depth issues aren’t always backups getting lost in coverage. A lot of times it’s just the starters not performing up to their ability due to fatigue. It’s your o-line getting pushed around by an inferior d-line. It’s having to have a DE play TE.

Let me have 15 of your rotational players, 3 of your best starters, and make you play 10 games without a break, and let’s see if you go 9-1.

I'm not reading all the **** bro. Love the effort though.

Advertisement
You need to go rub one out, you sound all tense.

Or the older you get the more sensitive you’re getting.You're starting to sound like some old drama queen. I’ve maybe responded on 3 of your bullshlt porsts ever, so settle down there.

But it looks like you and this other guy are about to get engaged. Congratulations.

I was fully engaged with a Latina's throat when you posted this. Ironic.

It’s because you’re a high school coach constantly implying that every slip up by our team is a direct result of our coaches not knowing what the fvck they’re doing.

Nobody denies that you know your way around a chalk board, but you’re coming off like a computer nerd spitting acronyms and technical jargon trying to sound intellectually superior rather than actually making a point.

Of course you can run Quarters out of an odd front, but that wasn’t the point. There is an incorrect notion on this board, kept alive mainly by people who ought to know better, that Pitt did something special to Hold our tailbacks to 16 yards and force Rosier to attempt 45 passes. They didn’t. They didn’t stuff 8 or 9 guys into the box. They ran their base defense, or a very slight variation, on every play—Cover 4/Quarters.

This wasn’t some new scheme they drew up special to exploit Malik’s accuracy issues or Richt’s play calling. It was the same defense they ran on just about every play the entire season. It’s the same defense that got them a 4-7 record, and the 60th ranked run defense.

We just plain suck running the football. We had the 79th best rush offense—115th if you remove Rosier’s 480 yards. Aranda and LSU aren’t about to adopt a new defensive philosophy to slow down the Nation’s 115th best rushing attack.

We were down right awful run blocking last season, and not being able to run the football severely limits what you can do on offense. You have to figure out some way to get 3 or 4 yards on 1st down to stay ahead of the sticks, and when you can’t run the ball, that means a **** ton of short passes.

Pitt didn’t gameplan to take away our run game. They took away the quick, short passes knowing full well how bad we sucked running the football.

But you’re a coach. I’m sure you know all this.

You didn’t use to be this way. You used to actually post decent, insightful material. Maybe it’s just the off-season. Maybe being a film junkie causes you to nitpick. Whatever it is, more often than not you look right past the obvious trying to find a flaw in the coaching.

If everyone else has 85 players, but you only get 70, your depth isn’t going to be as good as everyone else’s. You rarely notice depth until you don’t have it. Until you have to run your base 4-3 against 4 wide because you don’t have enough bodies at DB who know what to do and can tackle to run nickel or dime.

Depth issues aren’t always backups getting lost in coverage. A lot of times it’s just the starters not performing up to their ability due to fatigue. It’s your o-line getting pushed around by an inferior d-line. It’s having to have a DE play TE.

Let me have 15 of your rotational players, 3 of your best starters, and make you play 10 games without a break, and let’s see if you go 9-1.
Valid points but I’m still not seeing this struggle with running the ball outside of a few games last season. Miami was only ranked that low on per game bases because our offense were more geared to the passing game and the rpo tilted that even more as the qb had the opportunity to commit to either a pass or a run given the defenders movement in the play. This would pave the way for less rushing attempts. We actually averaged a top 40 rushing yards per attempt average in the country which was good and ran the ball well vs great rushing defenses like Notre Dame, Wisconsin and va tech

Advertisement
Valid points but I’m still not seeing this struggle with running the ball outside of a few games last season. Miami was only ranked that low on per game bases because our offense were more geared to the passing game and the rpo tilted that even more as the qb had the opportunity to commit to either a pass or a run given the defenders movement in the play. This would pave the way for less rushing attempts. We actually averaged a top 40 rushing yards per attempt average in the country which was good and ran the ball well vs great rushing defenses like Notre Dame, Wisconsin and va tech
I feel like we’ve been through this, but for the sake of those who may not have been present, I’ll speed over it again.

Teams that can run the football run the football. Championship teams play defense and run the football. All this play calling evolution...if you can’t run the football and play defense, you’re gonna get your **** pushed in by a team that can. It’s academic.

The fact that we had a respectable ypc inspite a bottom 5th ypg is nothing less than a credit to the ability of our backs and the blocking acumen of our WRs.

We can’t line it up and run the ball on 3rd and 1 against anyone; not even Pitt or UNC. Because of that, there is no confidence in our ability to pick up 3 yards on 1st and 10. If you can’t pick up 3 yards on 1st down, you’re behind the sticks.

Mark Richt would rather have Malick Rosier throw a bubble screen on 1st than hand it off because at least Malik gives us a 54% chance of getting ahead of the sticks.

I feel like we’ve been through this, but for the sake of those who may not have been present, I’ll speed over it again.

Teams that can run the football run the football. Championship teams play defense and run the football. All this play calling evolution...if you can’t run the football and play defense, you’re gonna get your **** pushed in by a team that can. It’s academic.

The fact that we had a respectable ypc inspite a bottom 5th ypg is nothing less than a credit to the ability of our backs and the blocking acumen of our WRs.

We can’t line it up and run the ball on 3rd and 1 against anyone; not even Pitt or UNC. Because of that, there is no confidence in our ability to pick up 3 yards on 1st and 10. If you can’t pick up 3 yards on 1st down, you’re behind the sticks.

Mark Richt would rather have Malick Rosier throw a bubble screen on 1st than hand it off because at least Malik gives us a 54% chance of getting ahead of the sticks.
One thing we can agree on is that we need to improve on 3rd down period when running the ball and in general

Advertisement
One thing we can agree on is that we need to improve on 3rd down period when running the ball and in general
Last season we averaged 7 yards to gain on 3rd down. Running the ball on 3rd and 7 in hopes of catching the defense off guard is not what I had in mind. However, consistently getting 5 yards on 3rd and 7 does wonders for that YPC average.

The ability to gain 3 yards running the ball on 1st and 10 is infinitely more valuable to the chance of success on 3rd down than being able to run the ball for 5 yards on 3rd and 7.

Last season we averaged 7 yards to gain on 3rd down. Running the ball on 3rd and 7 in hopes of catching the defense off guard is not what I had in mind. However, consistently getting 5 yards on 3rd and 7 does wonders for that YPC average.

The ability to gain 3 yards running the ball on 1st and 10 is infinitely more valuable to the chance of success on 3rd down than being able to run the ball for 5 yards on 3rd and 7.
I’m mainly talking in 3rd and short situations which we struggled. No one with a brain wants to run on 3rd and 7 that often.

Richt called so many passes last year simply because they couldn't consistently run the ball. I really don't think he wants Rosier putting the ball in the air 45 times a game but when you cant' run the ball, you have to do something else. Although, I think he did get a little too pass happy a couple of times last year. Especially after Malik would hit a couple and the defense would soften up a bit. You would think that would be the opportunity to gouge them with a run but I guess Richt wanted to ride Malik while he was hot.

If we lose to LSU I'm just going to accept the reality we're the new old Georgia.

Pretty much agree. The last three games of last year kind of put me in that mindset. Actually a few games previous even did that, if you really think about it.

Advertisement
I’m mainly talking in 3rd and short situations which we struggled. No one with a brain wants to run on 3rd and 7 that often.
I think the ability to bring our yards to gain average on third down from 7 to 3 or less is equally important to us being able to manage 3rd and short situations.

If you look at it strictly from a numbers standpoint, not being able to pick up yards on 1st and 2nd was a far bigger factor in us not converting on 3rd down than the actual yards we gained on 3rd down. I think we averaged something like 5 yards per play on 3rd downs last season, and that's great unless your average yards to gain on 3rd down is 7. We have to get better on 1st and 2nd. There's no way around that fact, and running the football is the most tried and true way to do that with consistency.

I think the ability to bring our yards to gain average on third down from 7 to 3 or less is equally important to us being able to manage 3rd and short situations.

If you look at it strictly from a numbers standpoint, not being able to pick up yards on 1st and 2nd was a far bigger factor in us not converting on 3rd down than the actual yards we gained on 3rd down. I think we averaged something like 5 yards per play on 3rd downs last season, and that's great unless your average yards to gain on 3rd down is 7. We have to get better on 1st and 2nd. There's no way around that fact, and running the football is the most tried and true way to do that with consistency.

We don’t run the ball bad we just struggled on 3rd down most of the time

We don’t run the ball bad we just struggled on 3rd down most of the time

We run the ball bad. We struggled on 3rd downs because we run the ball bad and therefore ended up in 3rd and 7 plus. Your averages are skewed because of chunk plays and you know it and so does everybody else. If we could consistently pick up 6 yards running the ball on first down CMR would have been chased out of town for ever allowing Rosier to throw the ball, so just stop. You can twist a stat to support any conclusion if you ignore every other thing that contradicts it.

Advertisement
We run the ball bad. We struggled on 3rd downs because we run the ball bad and therefore ended up in 3rd and 7 plus. Your averages are skewed because of chunk plays and you know it and so does everybody else. If we could consistently pick up 6 yards running the ball on first down CMR would have been chased out of town for ever allowing Rosier to throw the ball, so just stop. You can twist a stat to support any conclusion if you ignore every other thing that contradicts it.
YOU are ignoring any thing that contradicts your point. Stats don’t lie, you aren’t breaking big runs every play and if you are the oline deserves credit for making space for those runs big run or not

YOU are ignoring any thing that contradicts your point. Stats don’t lie, you aren’t breaking big runs every play and if you are the oline deserves credit for making space for those runs big run or not
Let me simplify what I'm trying to say. Our run game is inconsistent. It cannot be relied on as a means of staying ahead of the sticks in favorable down and distance. Let me illustrate. Here are two games where we ran the ball for very nice averages. Toledo and VaTech.

Against Toledo we ran it 26 times for 254 yards. Nice, fat 9.8 yard average. But here's what the average doesn't tell you. All most all of that was chunk play yardage. Remove runs of 15 yards or more and we had 19 carries for 55 yards.

VaTech was similar. 34 carries for 210 yards, but 119 of that was just three carries. The rest of that game we were 31 for 91 yards.

We have exceptional backs who can break a run for a huge gain if they get even a slight crease, but we only get 2 or 3 runs like that per game. The rest of the time we are a 2 ypc team, and that just doesn't keep you ahead of the sticks. If you run the ball 3 times on first down and gain 0 yards, 15 yards, and 0 yards, you might have a nice 5 ypc average, but you just went 3 and out twice.

That's the thing though... 3rd & short is the barometer for running the ball irrespective of what the stats look like. In known run situations (3rd & short) we get zero push but, being a quality play-caller, Richt can manufacture a running game (and numbers) on passing downs or with pass-heavy formations (11, empty sets) in ways that create running lanes for backs and leverage for linemen. The ability to manufacture a running game is what makes Richt so brilliant but it belies the fact that we run the ball so poorly.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back