LSU DB coach Corey Raymond

If Richt hires a total unknown at DC with a budget over $1M, a defense that has sucked for years, and him being so deeply involved with the offense calling plays and coaching QBs, then he's a moron.

At this point, an experienced, bad-***, top-notch DC is priority 1.

Advertisement
If Richt hires a total unknown at DC with a budget over $1M, a defense that has sucked for years, and him being so deeply involved with the offense calling plays and coaching QBs, then he's a moron.

It would be an insanely foolish and illogical decision.

Too much is made of candidates having x amount of experience in coordinating.

Not every great position coach becomes a great coordinator and not every great coordinator becomes a great head coach. We have a proven offensive head coach... I hope we get a proven defensive coordinator. While it is true that we could get lucky with a first time coordinator, with as long as this program has been down, we can't afford to take a chance.

If Mark blows the DC hire, he is toast. Banners by end of year one. We have no tolerance left. He needs to bring in someone committed to old school Hurricane style defense. If we end up with fat boys dancing with oline and defender "reading" before they act, Mark wasted a trip back home. He can do want he wants with offense and everyone will cut him slack, but the defense must return.

Advertisement
just read an good comparison of Raymond..

He's basically Travaris.

And has sent multiple 1st round picks to the league and arguable the best db coach in the country. Exceptional recruiter as well

Agreed, why get a great candidate experience when you can take an unknown with none?

Too many potatoes.

I agree with this.

The guy is coaching DBs, which means he's a great communicator b/c being in the secondary is a hard position especially the safety position. LSU DBs have looked real good over the years. Why not hire him as a co-odinator? Position coaches make HORRIBLE head coaches, but they make fine co-ordinators especially if you are the QB coach on offense and a LB or DB coach on defense.

I think it would be a really good hire that will turn out to be a great hire in the future. We're totally getting away from EVERYTHING that Al Golden and crew has taught. LSU plays an aggressive up field brand of FB on the defensive side and the DBs are pressed up....I'm sure if hired, that same philosophy will be brought here as well.

Advertisement
Si, si, I'm intrigued.... Will not cost you a mil for him and the extra money can be spread out to get more quality at pos. coaches.

Defensive coordinator is the most important position we have to hire. The offenseive coordinator u have more leeway hiring a recruiting guy.

Defensive coordinator is the most important position we have to hire. The offenseive coordinator u have more leeway hiring a recruiting guy.

He doesn't have experience as a defensive coordinator but so didn't Jeremy Pruitt. He also isn't just a elite recruiter he is also an elite coach as well arguably the best db coach in the country

if we hire a good d co. I say keep coley since richt will call plays anyway coley's a good recruiter

Advertisement
Advertisement
I wouldn't be surprised if Raymond's looking to get out of LSU given Miles' shaky job status going forward. I wouldn't bring in Raymond as DC (although he does have a strong resume). If Richt were to bring him in as a DC it would be the complete opposite of Paul Williams.

unless richt can get a manny diaz, or a john chavis, and im not sure he will, raymond isn't a bad choice to take a chance on. he has been part of some great defensive staffs at lsu. they are always a top 10 d. i am sure he learned alot from chavis and steele.

frankly no matter the budget sometimes an experianced dc isn't available. sometimes u have to find a guy who is a position coach who has coached multiple positions hopefully and give them a chance to be a coordinator. true not all are good at it but some are.

i just don't see a chuck pagano , a kevin steele becoming miami dc. butch davis isn't happening. no way they hire him as dc and no way he would take it. so for those that say no on raymond give us some choices. guys u think miami should chase.

Agreed, why get a great candidate experience when you can take an unknown with none?

Too many potatoes.

I agree with this.

The guy is coaching DBs, which means he's a great communicator b/c being in the secondary is a hard position especially the safety position. LSU DBs have looked real good over the years. Why not hire him as a co-odinator? Position coaches make HORRIBLE head coaches, but they make fine co-ordinators especially if you are the QB coach on offense and a LB or DB coach on defense.

I think it would be a really good hire that will turn out to be a great hire in the future. We're totally getting away from EVERYTHING that Al Golden and crew has taught. LSU plays an aggressive up field brand of FB on the defensive side and the DBs are pressed up....I'm sure if hired, that same philosophy will be brought here as well.

I was being sarcastic. It is an awful idea when you have the money.

Advertisement
Back