Low 3 Stars

TC7D

2000 Cane
As we prepare to fill out most of the spots in our class with low 3 stars, I thought I would share the current players on our roster that fall into that bucket. In short, if this is the path we take, the Clark's, ElGammal's and Nelson's probably won't work out. Hopefully we don't go that route.

1545335278291.png

Advertisement
Advertisement
Smith is a decent role player.
Gauthier is one of the best of our worst OL.
Gaynor should be good. I'm surprised he didn't play more this year

Too early to judge Miller, Bethel Jr, and George

The rest, like Dykstra, Knowles, Mccray, Martin, etc. are not Miami caliber

Are you trying to tell me Robert Knowles is not an impact play? Thats big time bull**** as ive seen time after time with my own ******* eyes this guy being a HUGE negative impact!!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Good work.

My issue is that Clark, Nelson and ElGammal are offensive linemen. Bruce Feldman just put out an article showing that the 2018 Pro Bowl OL averaged 2.5 stars. It’s a unique position.

The bigger problem with the OL is that guys (including four-stars) aren’t getting better.

Good work.

My issue is that Clark, Nelson and ElGammal are offensive linemen. Bruce Feldman just put out in an article showing that the 2018 Pro Bowl OL averaged 2.5 stars. It’s a unique position.

The bigger problem with the OL is that guys (including four-stars) aren’t getting better.
Very true.

Also the majority of the list is from outside of S. Florida.

OP's point still stands.

Like DMoney said, tough to grade OL because a lot of them get graded well because of size. Look at Donaldson, huge guy, blue chip, but has underperformed his rating due to technique. Gauthier I'd say has been decent for example.

However for skill positions, this list is about as JAG as it gets.

Advertisement
Good work.

My issue is that Clark, Nelson and ElGammal are offensive linemen. Bruce Feldman just put out an article showing that the 2018 Pro Bowl OL averaged 2.5 stars. It’s a unique position.

IMO thats because in a lot of these cases the kids who were 4 and 5 star guys are already much closer to their max potential and peak much too early. Where some of these kids come into their own and continue to get much better as athletes once in a college s&c program and with coaches whoo can better teach them than what is offered at a majority of high school programs

Good work.

Offensive line is definitely a standalone position in terms of lesser rated players having an opportunity to excel. Those guys are overmatched athletes to begin with. So it comes down to smarts and strength and technique and tenacity, etc.

There's a guy on one of the major NFL draft forums who undertakes an interesting exercise every year. He doesn't study tape, unlike the vast majority of that board. But he looks at scouting reports dating back many years and identifies the traits that seem to align with NFL success at each position. I really appreciate plug-and-play systematic work like that, as opposed to relentless subjectivity where so many decisions have to be made.

His work is NFL-based but I'm confident the same principals apply in transition from high school to college.

At offensive line, the key traits appear to be balance and feet as long as the anchor is strong enough, and without a demeanor issue. OR...a plus grade in demeanor without weakness in power, punch or feet.

Basically from those findings I'd say an extremely self-motivated and dedicated player is the need at offensive line, as long as none of the physical weaknesses are too much of a disqualifier. And that would make sense for lower rated players emerging as top dogs. The scouts likely place too much emphasis on the physical superiority, which is key at other positions but not as vital at offensive line.

Here, I'll supply the link and the description of needs at each position. Obviously some posters will scoff at this type of thing, the ones who enjoy overreacting every day to the most recent news on the docket.

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/...ictive-to-success-relative-to-draft-position/

Advertisement
Back