Low 3 Stars

Good work.

My issue is that Clark, Nelson and ElGammal are offensive linemen. Bruce Feldman just put out an article showing that the 2018 Pro Bowl OL averaged 2.5 stars. It’s a unique position.

The bigger problem with the OL is that guys (including four-stars) aren’t getting better.

Fair comment on the OL, but I saw this OP more as a bad sign of things to come across the remaining positions needed to fill the class. 13 guys signed, 2 more committed (one of whom, Williams, seems to have issues that may see him going elsewhere). If the staff wants a class of 26, that means trying to sign about a dozen more guys. About 2/3 of all recruits have already signed with their school of choice. So, it is very likely the remainder of this class will be mostly these 3* types... across all positions.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Rankings matter, a recruiting class should be based off the number of "gamechangers" you sign. This class doesn't have that many.

Also, our lowest rated recruits are on both sides of the line, not good

From that sorry list, Realus George got my attention. I think the whole FB thing is a pipe dream. He is supposedly 6'2, 255. Played MLB In HS as well as FB. Anyone see any chance of a position swap (not limited just to LB) with him at some point?

As we prepare to fill out most of the spots in our class with low 3 stars, I thought I would share the current players on our roster that fall into that bucket. In short, if this is the path we take, the Clark's, ElGammal's and Nelson's probably won't work out. Hopefully we don't go that route.

View attachment 72387
6.gif

Advertisement
As we prepare to fill out most of the spots in our class with low 3 stars, I thought I would share the current players on our roster that fall into that bucket. In short, if this is the path we take, the Clark's, ElGammal's and Nelson's probably won't work out. Hopefully we don't go that route.

View attachment 72387

Great post. Also, keep in mind if Realus George turns out to be good he doesn't count because a 3 star is the highest ranking an FB can receive.

Good work.

My issue is that Clark, Nelson and ElGammal are offensive linemen. Bruce Feldman just put out an article showing that the 2018 Pro Bowl OL averaged 2.5 stars. It’s a unique position.

The bigger problem with the OL is that guys (including four-stars) aren’t getting better.

Look at the average age of the OL in the 2018 pro bowl. The majority of these guys where in the 2007 recruiting class and below. Recruiting rankings where a lot less accurate in those days as compared to now.

Thanks. In truth, the list is actually worse in reality. It contains only those players still on the roster and isn’t adjusted for the James King’s, Terrance Henley’s etc. Reaching on these projects / taking kids to fill spots, is not a path that is paved with much success. The hit rate is just so low. For every McIntosh or Norton, there are 50 Knowles. I hope we don’t take kids just to fill space and boost rankings. I believe Shannon did that one year and it was a disaster.

Yes he did and it was a disaster. Couldn't agree more. Something like 90% of draft elligble 5 stars in the last few drafts made a roster. like 1% of 3 stars made rosters. There is a reason why Bama doesn't draft more than a couple 3 stars per class(not including Punters, LS, K, etc that can't get above 3 stars).

Advertisement
Thought Derrick Smith was rated higher out of HS. Played at a big program and had a great game that was nationally televised.

Good work.

One of our most pressing problems. We solve that and it would be a big step in the right direction. Others are needed, but that's a big one.

Good work.

This. We have zero development from that position and I still have no idea y Searels is still employed at this school. Honestly, this is a bigger indictment of Richt’s tenure thus far than not hiring an OC or promoting Banda and Patke. Searels is useless and he’s been useless well before he was a Canes’ coach.

Advertisement
Look at the average age of the OL in the 2018 pro bowl. The majority of these guys where in the 2007 recruiting class and below. Recruiting rankings where a lot less accurate in those days as compared to now.
I still feel like they are 100% ... it's not the players... are coaches are mediocre.. no way around that..

I still feel like they are 100% ... it's not the players... are coaches are mediocre.. no way around that..

I agree. You could land the best 5 stars in the nation and Searles would corch them up and turn them into bums, but at the same time if you have great OL coaches they are going to do better coaching up guys like Evan Neal than guys like Zion Neal.

I was just pointing out that stat he used wasn't really relevant because the players all where recruited when the rankings where less accurate. Only 2 OL starters where in the class of 2009, Taylor Lewan and Zack Martin,(they are the youngest guys on the line at the pro bowl) and both are 4 stars. All of the 2 star guys pulling it down are guys that were in VERY old classes that took place when the rankings where basically BS. .

Advertisement
Back