Looks like schools can now pay players.

Advertisement

heath ledger joker GIF

"The NCAA will pay more than $2.7 billion in damages over 10 years to past and current athletes"

I need help:

1. How does the NCAA have 2.7 billion dollars?
  2. How did and how does the NCAA get money?
  3. Is the NCAA managed by elected officials? If not, whom?
  4. Since the players have now commanded a larger share of the pie, how is the NCAA impacted? Who is impacted? What industries are impacted?

The players have gained something, but who or what is losing something?

Advertisement
"The NCAA will pay more than $2.7 billion in damages over 10 years to past and current athletes"

I need help:

4. Since the players have now commanded a larger share of the pie, how is the NCAA impacted? Who is impacted? What industries are impacted?

This article explains some of it. I'm sure there's a ton more to it that is yet to be reported on, or even thought about at this point.

Advertisement
Advertisement

I need help:

The short answer is that they don't have the money. They are making all of the member schools pay towards the money owed over the next several years.

As for the players, the proposal is that teams can pay them (but don't need to) up to ~$22M per year with the amount subject to change in the future.

I wonder if unions will spread? I doubt it.
100 percent unions will eventually happen, IMO. Who decides the revenue split? That’s decided by collective bargaining in pro sports. It will happen here too. And it’s not a bad thing. Schools could negotiate things like transfer portal limitations and the courts couldn’t overrule it since it’d be fairly negotiated.

Advertisement

I need help:

Partially funded by my parking pass fee you filthy peasants.

This is the real scam. They are trying to get Congress to provide a legal safe harbor to the NCAA, which has been destroyed every time it’s been in court. This would breathe new life into the NCAA’s enforcement arm and allow them to cut off outside NIL money that rightfully belongs to the players.

The legislation must fail. Don’t grant legal safe harbor to a criminal cartel.

100 percent unions will eventually happen, IMO. Who decides the revenue split? That’s decided by collective bargaining in pro sports. It will happen here too. And it’s not a bad thing. Schools could negotiate things like transfer portal limitations and the courts couldn’t overrule it since it’d be fairly negotiated.
That’s the only way we get a salary cap.

And at which point, bag men will become a premium again.

Advertisement
Back