Looking back on training camp

D'Money I don't like the way Joe Yearby runs now that he's got the extra weight. I know he needed to add some weight, but he's lost some of his lateral quickness, and that and vision are what make him a superior runner.

Advertisement
D'Money I don't like the way Joe Yearby runs now that he's got the extra weight. I know he needed to add some weight, but he's lost some of his lateral quickness, and that and vision are what make him a superior runner.

He looks like a completely different player. He looks like a guy who has suffered some bad knee injuries, bulked up, and became a power runner. I'd tell him to take 10 pounds off before next season because he didn't have speed to lose.

I'm a Kaaya guy but did we really see substantial improvement in his footwork?

I thought the Pittsburgh game was a great example. He did a fine job evading pressure and even made a couple plays outside the pocket.

His sack percentage is one of the lowest in the country, which is pretty crazy considering the struggles up front.

I think his sack percentage is a better indicator of his info processing and overall decision making than it is his footwork/ability in the pocket.

Carson Palmer has been sacked 16 times on 217 attempts.
Russell Wilson has been sacked 37 times on 220 attemps.

Arizona doesn't have that great of an OLine. It's not Seattle bad, but it's not great, either. Both of these QBs hold the ball for different amounts of time, try to make plays in and around the pocket differently, and I think anyone would agree Wilson's feet are 3 levels above Palmer's.

If Kaaya can get to Andy Dalton level of footwork and work within the pocket, he'll be fine.

Dalton is 10x the athlete Kaaya is. Marc Buonoconti has better feet than Kaaya at this point.

Kaaya does a truly amazing job at QB given his absolute lack of athleticism. I can't recall a more limited guy athletically who has done as good as Kaaya has.

Not suggesting Kaaya become the athlete Dalton is and has been. Suggesting he works himself up to his awareness and shuffling in the pocket. Coming out of college, Dalton was known for being pretty stiff (not athletically) via lack of awareness. I remember one season early in his career where he took an obscene amount of sacks. He's gotten a ton better. Let's see if Kaaya gets better in that facet over the next 2 years or whatever.

I just think this is what Yearby is. He isn't going to start busting out 50+ yard runs if he loses weight. He's an inside runner who now has the strength to withstand the beating inside.

He has a chance to be a 1,000 yard back at 5 ypc. IMO, that's close to his ceiling.

I just don't see Joe as an inside runner. He was a get you in space and break your ankles kind of back. Even if we had to throw the ball to him in the flat, slants, wheel routes, or even long toss sweeps I would have him lose at least 10 pounds. Leave the inside stuff for Gus and Chocolate. He shouldn't have to worry about taking the banging because he's really not that type of back IMHO. I'm not mad at Joe - kid runs hard.

I just think this is what Yearby is. He isn't going to start busting out 50+ yard runs if he loses weight. He's an inside runner who now has the strength to withstand the beating inside.

He has a chance to be a 1,000 yard back at 5 ypc. IMO, that's close to his ceiling.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back