Look to the Transfer Portal: Discussion thread

Advertisement
Advertisement
This is going to be interpreted as mopery, but it’s not intended as such to a significant level. We selectively target elite players in the portal. Cam Ward is elite and we bagged him. **** ya that’s great. But we don’t do this across the board. Texas does. Ole Miss does. The majority of our portal players are depth pieces. Why is that? Some schools are filling starting spots with all conference level guys no matter who else they have. It’s got to be part of roster building strategy. We are keeping guys like McCormick for a reason when there are upgrades available in the portal

This is going to be interpreted as mopery, but it’s not intended as such to a significant level. We selectively target elite players in the portal. Cam Ward is elite and we bagged him. **** ya that’s great. But we don’t do this across the board. Texas does. Ole Miss does. The majority of our portal players are depth pieces. Why is that? Some schools are filling starting spots with all conference level guys no matter who else they have. It’s got to be part of roster building strategy. We are keeping guys like McCormick for a reason when there are upgrades available in the portal
These questions aren't allowed here for whatever reason. It's not mopery it's common sense.

Mario might be concerned our young players may transfer out if we bring in top guys and start them ahead of them?

Mario might be concerned our young players may transfer out if we bring in top guys and start them ahead of them?
Could be but shouldn't that have been discussed before they signed? Besides Patterson I'm not sure who else would/should feel this way.

Advertisement
In the portal we've bagged a starting QB, center, and nickel/safety. I'd imagine at least one of the portal DT's starts, possibly both, and both will surely be rotational. That's 5 of 7, and the Vandy safety will compete to start. Only Poffenbarger's a clear-cut backup.

Reasonable question and not one that anyone outside the athletic department might have a legit answer to. We did sign starters at quarterback, center, both safety spots (or 1 safety, 1 nickel) and likely DT. So it’s not like we’ve sat around doing nothing. We also seem to have a certain philosophy when it comes to recruiting high school kids and portal guys. We allocate a TON of resources towards high school kids and it’s paid off so far with two near elite classes.

As for the portal, our staff seems to prefer proven veterans over former blue chip types who didn’t produce at their first stop. We’re not hoping to develop someone else’s leftovers. I also believe that we don’t budget nearly as much towards transfers as we do towards recruits so we’re not in the mix for every single transfer who’s going to command 7 figures. We used our portal cash wisely on the best player at the most important position.

This is all just my opinion and observations. I don’t know any more than anyone else though. Would I like to see us chasing every impact player available? Yeah but there’s got to be a reason behind their choices. It’s not like the staff is just saying “we don’t want these proven talents”. It’s likely due to budget constraints.

Advertisement
I think we spent all our money on Ward. I also think Texas has unlimited funds and Texas just went to the playoffs. As far as Ole Miss depending on what day you visit this board more then half the board would also choose Lane Kiffan over Mario as a coach.

I love how the discourse from the usual suspects here is that the staff isn't committed to winning because McCormick is coming back yet they literally were in non-stop pursuit of the top portal QB for a month before eventually landing him.

Advertisement
Texas' coach was just at Alabama and just was in the CFB playoff. They'll land whoever they want in the portal. With Ole Miss, their HS recruiting class is in the 20's and they are allocating their NIL towards the portal. It's essentially FSU's recruiting strategy.

Advertisement
Back