Look to the Transfer Portal: Discussion thread

Day 1 contributors? I don't have a single Freshman on my list. They're all guys who have been in college but haven't gotten on the field. Sorry but this is a business, these kids are all compensated with NIL money for their services, and if they aren't producing then we need to replace them with kids that can produce. Bottom line.
There’s 80 plus scholarship players on this team. Not everyone is going to play. It’s their first year in this program.

Advertisement
I think you’re on an island with De Laura, who has now certainly lost his job to a TF and is very turnover-prone. We can do much better, can also do worse. Besides, he’s already transferred once so he’d need to be eligible as a graduate transfer.

Fifita looks really good, if for some reason De Laura is given his job back, then we should add him to the list of the portal targets.

Also, watch Mario grab Fernando Mendoza from Cal. If you know, you know…

But In no order…including those we could maybe entice with $ome $erious $pending…

Michael Pratt (Tulane)
Cam Ward (Wazzu)
Kaidon Salter (Liberty)
Jordan McCloud (James Madison - another year of eligibility?)
Brock Vandegriff (UGA)
CJ Montes!! (Fordham)
Maalik Murphy (Texas)
Jaden Rashada (ASU)
Cam Rising (Utah)
Connor Weigman (Texas A&M)
Seth Henigan (Memphis)
Kyron Drones (VT)
Mark Gronowski (South Dakota St)
Gevani McCoy (Idaho)
Cole Gonzales (Western Carolina)
Darius Wilson (William & Mary)

Could probably rattle off a few more just for QBs. Was going to start looking in depth in the next few weeks.
Is Drones gonna graduate? He came from Baylor and it’s his 3rd year.

I say we need about 13 new portal additions, and Mario needs to sign a high school class of about 27, so in my mind we should get around 40 new kids to upgrade the talent.

I would bet UNDER 13 for a lot of money

I think we'll bring in about 27…And then 2-3 more. (and we need a lot of attrition to get to that number) Anything else will be substitution give or take, and I don't think there will be 10 more.

Advertisement
I think a good number for overall new high school kids is about 27

And portal about 6.5

I saw that Transfer talk toon over the Maalik Murphy thread so I thought a discussion thread would be very suitable to not only keep QB transfer talk but any position talk organized!

I say let’s start with QBs.

Real options to me would be:

Michael Pratt

Jayden De Laura

Maalik Murphy

Vandegriff and Stockton from UGA

Ty Simpson

Those are the big names but I also wouldn‘t mind -

EJ Warner

Deqoun Finn

Chandler Rogers

I'm not thrilled with any of these kids. No opinion on the ones that haven't played yet, obviously they were interesting as recruits.

But I'd take Pratt from that list and consider Warner, maybe De Laura (off the field stuff with De Laura I believe?, he has his moments but is a turnover waiting to happen)

Rogers is an exciting g5 kid…But I don't think can play here. HE HOLDS THE BALL FOREVER…But that may be something ok for us with our OL. I will give him credit, he's smart with the ball. Dequan Finn looks a little better this year, but I don't think he can play at UM either. Anytime they play a defense with a pulse (and still levels below ACC, he looks like ****).

I believe any of these kids are either worse than the winner of E.Will/J.Brown or in a clear battle with them.

Kaiden Salter mildly interesting if he is a graduate.

Advertisement
Would sacrifice a distant unknown family member for Cam Ward, but that ain’t happening. I doubt he even leaves, he is putting up numbers, just thug it out one more year and go make your $ kid.

Plus he already transfered from Incarnate Word, so would need a waiver to come to Miami. Wanted him to come when he first hit the portal but hes got one more year at Wazzu and NFL bound

Never understood why fans **** on their players like this.....both by name and lists like this. Really don't get what benefit it has in the grand scheme except keeping the label of ****** fans going.

Kids who don't do things right off the field or quit between the lines.....ok. That's not the case.

In total agreement.
They are our kids and folks who are alleged UM fans look at them as Michael Vick looked at his Pitt bulls.

Last edited:
Balom- we don't have many safeties until the 2024 kids have experience.
Harvey is a starter with Kelly and Mesidor out. Geez

Freeney, Kirk- really?
patience GIF by Guns N' Roses

Advertisement
Okay, so QBs... here's the thing:

Dawson probably ends up staying. I don't see him leaving because the offensive product, albeit improving, hasn't improved enough to warrant such a promotion. Lashlee was the best thing we had for two decades offensively and even he got a second year (where he outperformed the first year with a certain someone at QB).

I'm surprised no one has ever even mentioned Joey Aguilar:

Last edited:
I'm not thrilled with any of these kids. No opinion on the ones that haven't played yet, obviously they were interesting as recruits.

But I'd take Pratt from that list and consider Warner, maybe De Laura (off the field stuff with De Laura I believe?, he has his moments but is a turnover waiting to happen)

Rogers is an exciting g5 kid…But I don't think can play here. HE HOLDS THE BALL FOREVER…But that may be something ok for us with our OL. I will give him credit, he's smart with the ball. Dequan Finn looks a little better this year, but I don't think he can play at UM either. Anytime they play a defense with a pulse (and still levels below ACC, he looks like ****).

I believe any of these kids are either worse than the winner of E.Will/J.Brown or in a clear battle with them.

Kaiden Salter mildly interesting if he is a graduate.
🤔 TVD holds the ball forever and still playing for The U. Chandler Rogers as our QB this year 🆚 GTech ?? That’s a Convincing win, 🆚 NC just with mobility Im sure things would be different because they’d have to respect his running ability. With the talent the Canes have I believe Rodgers would do better than you think

Also if Shannon Dawson receives an offer for another gig this offseason, wouldn’t be opposed to going after Christian Taylor for OC & Darius Wilson with him at QB.
Get ready for another late winter OC hiring search

Advertisement
Okay, so QBs... here's the thing:

Dawson probably ends up staying. I don't see him leaving because the offensive product, albeit improving, hasn't improved enough to warrant such a promotion. Lashlee was the best thing we had for two decades offensively and even he got a second year (where he outperformed the first year with a certain someone at QB).

I'm surprised no one has ever even mentioned Joey Aguilar:

If Mario is putting his sausage fingers on the offense Dawson may bolt

There’s 80 plus scholarship players on this team. Not everyone is going to play. It’s their first year in this program.

If it's up to me... you either need to be a starter, pushing to start, or you need to be a young Freshman with room to grow. Anything else and your *** is gone. Replaced either through recruiting or the portal with someone who will tick one of the boxes above.

That's how you build championship depth. Can't have a bunch of jags taking up valuable scholarship spots to do nothing but play 3rd string for several years. If you haven't made any noise by year 2 and are at least pushing for playing time, you need to try your luck elsewhere. If you transfered here from Juco or another D1, and you didn't play this year, your *** needs to be gone and replaced by someone who can contribute.

That's what I think.

If it's up to me... you either need to be a starter, pushing to start, or you need to be a young Freshman with room to grow. Anything else and your *** is gone. Replaced either through recruiting or the portal with someone who will tick one of the boxes above.

That's how you build championship depth. Can't have a bunch of jags taking up valuable scholarship spots to do nothing but play 3rd string for several years. If you haven't made any noise by year 2 and are at least pushing for playing time, you need to try your luck elsewhere. If you transfered here from Juco or another D1, and you didn't play this year, your *** needs to be gone and replaced by someone who can contribute.

That's what I think.
This isn't Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State where you could do that. This is Miami where they win like 6-7 games. Maybe if Miami could string together 10 plus win seasons then yea it's a different conversation.

Advertisement
Back