Lonnie Walker and Bruce Brown

Coach LOVED Newton.. It was obvious he wanted him to lead the team. This team underachieved. Just like they did last year and in 2016 when they made it to sweet 16 but had talent to go further and in 2013 same story.

It was a fitting end for Newton. Losing to a low level team. What an absolute waste of talent that kid is. I hope he took school seriously because he will never be a coach unless he wants to be the Freshman Team Assitant at Neumann Goretti HS.

Advertisement
This is true. Assuming Lonnie is gone, he didn't come close to living up to expectations. With all the hype I was expecting a Trae Young or Colin Sexton type season. Disappointing.

I said this when he committed. Way overrated, I was met by the homers with their torches & pitch forks because they couldn't handle the truth.

Yes I know that Lonnie messed up bad at the end of the game. But he would be a huge role for next season. Is there any chance him and Bruce come back. Would be clutch to get them back for 1 more year.

Why didn't Newton play? :)

He led our team in scoring for the year, and was much better during ACC play. I didn't see most of you posting during the year so I'm inclined to think you're just making **** up. He wasn't bad. Was a little quiet at times, but I don't know that he's the one to blame. Sounds more like people overreacting to a loss.

Advertisement
How many 4 and 5 star recruits does Buffalo have? Good thing we didn't draw them; we'd have lost by 40. What an exhibition they put on!

I said it before, but Lonnie lacks the explosives to be the player we wanted him to be. MAybe he is already who he is, maybe his body is still growing and he has yet to tap into the part of his game. Either way, if he leaves, we will sit the bench or Gleague for a year or two.

The question is do you value college "development" and the college life vs NBA "development" while getting a check.?.?

I said it before, but Lonnie lacks the explosives to be the player we wanted him to be. MAybe he is already who he is, maybe his body is still growing and he has yet to tap into the part of his game. Either way, if he leaves, we will sit the bench or Gleague for a year or two.

The question is do you value college "development" and the college life vs NBA "development" while getting a check.?.?

I think Lonnie is PLENTY explosive. What he lacked, as an NBA prospect/5 star HS recruit, is a consistent jump shot.

How does he lack explosiveness? What in the **** are you talking about. He will not be in the G league lmao.

Advertisement
How does he lack explosiveness? What in the **** are you talking about. He will not be in the G league lmao.
I bet he spends some time in the G League. He isn't anywhere near fully developed and I can see him developing in the G League. If he even leaves for the pros.

In any other Nation-State in history, Walker would be sent to the uranium mines, not to the NBA.

Do we have uranium mines here? (wait, we do, but Hillary sold them. Maybe we can send him to one under employee leasing?)

This board is way too emotional and misinformed. Lonnie Walker is the best talent we've ever had here since the rebirth. He has all the potential and his issue this year was not understanding when to take over and insert himself more. That is something you learn with age. I feel bad for Lonnie because even though there are plenty things he can improve on, our offense did not put him in a position to succeed. Just look how Loyola passed the ball compared to us. I've said all year how we don't move the ball well and how much it affects our offense and that was apparent again yesterday. The majority of Lonnie's scoring had to come from him creating things out of thin air all year.

With all that being said, he showed flashes of what he can be. He's coachable and a good kid. There is no way he is going to Europe or the D League. This guy will be on an NBA roster for many years and I think he has the potential to be an all star. As for yesterday's game, he needed to take over in those last 5 minutes and he didn't. He passed the ball to Huell inside late instead of trying to score and also passed it up to Newton late. Throw in the turnover and the missed free throw and it was a brutal way for him to end his career at MIami. But make no mistake, Lonnie is a special talent and will be the best Miami pro player since the rebirth of Miami basketball.

This board is way too emotional and misinformed. Lonnie Walker is the best talent we've ever had here since the rebirth. He has all the potential and his issue this year was not understanding when to take over and insert himself more. That is something you learn with age. I feel bad for Lonnie because even though there are plenty things he can improve on, our offense did not put him in a position to succeed. Just look how Loyola passed the ball compared to us. I've said all year how we don't move the ball well and how much it affects our offense and that was apparent again yesterday. The majority of Lonnie's scoring had to come from him creating things out of thin air all year.

With all that being said, he showed flashes of what he can be. He's coachable and a good kid. There is no way he is going to Europe or the D League. This guy will be on an NBA roster for many years and I think he has the potential to be an all star. As for yesterday's game, he needed to take over in those last 5 minutes and he didn't. He passed the ball to Huell inside late instead of trying to score and also passed it up to Newton late. Throw in the turnover and the missed free throw and it was a brutal way for him to end his career at MIami. But make no mistake, Lonnie is a special talent and will be the best Miami pro player since the rebirth of Miami basketball.

You are probably right that Lonnie was the best talent we've had since the program came back, but he was far from the most impactful player we've had, and for that reason, I think his season here was disappointing. There is no question that we could have and should have done more to get him better scoring opportunities, but truly elite college basketball players should be able to impose their will and talent much more frequently than Lonnie did this year. He was far too willing to settle for step back jumpers rather than attack the basket. It seemed like he would only attack the basket off the dribble a couple times a game (like the sweeping drive for a dunk he had yesterday), and when he did he often was able to make something positive happen. But, those seemed way too infrequent for a guy with his athleticism.

I thought that last year, Bruce was significantly more effective at attacking the rim, and I expected (incorrectly) that Lonnie would be able to do the same but with even more ability. I didn't watch a ton of Lonnie's high school film, so my expectations were based largely around a few highlights I watched and the hype on this board and in other places, so maybe I was misinformed or uninformed. Ultimately, I thought that the highest rated player in program history, a guy many thought would be a program changer, would be able to help take us to a new level. Bruce's injury obviously made that more challenging, but I still hoped that Lonnie would be able to carry us further in the tournament, even after being a bit disappointed in the regular season (based on my expectations, however unfairly inflated they might have been). I obviously hope that Lonnie stays in the league, continues to improve, and is a great representative for the Canes in the NBA for many years. But, I would be lying if I didn't say that based on my hopes/expectations, Lonnie didn't perform, and help the team reach, the levels I thought he/the team would.

Advertisement

I'd take the check.

In any other Nation-State in history, Walker would be sent to the uranium mines, not to the NBA.

Do we have uranium mines here? (wait, we do, but Hillary sold them. Maybe we can send him to one under employee leasing?)

What does that even mean? What country is going to send elite athletes to the Uranium mines? Most nations/states would actually stick him on their olympic basketball team.

If Lonnie were that type of player and if we had a healthy Bruce Brown we could’ve made a nice run

Exactly. We were a Sweet 16 team even without Brown.....on paper.....if Lonnie and a couple other kids lived up to anything close to what expectations were.

Lonnie especially will probably get it together on the next level because we absolutely saw flashes of greatness.....but as a Canes fan those flashes were absolutely not enough or frequent enough to do anything of note this year or leave him as a memorable Miami player at this level if he leaves after 1 year.

Advertisement
You are probably right that Lonnie was the best talent we've had since the program came back, but he was far from the most impactful player we've had, and for that reason, I think his season here was disappointing. There is no question that we could have and should have done more to get him better scoring opportunities, but truly elite college basketball players should be able to impose their will and talent much more frequently than Lonnie did this year. He was far too willing to settle for step back jumpers rather than attack the basket. It seemed like he would only attack the basket off the dribble a couple times a game (like the sweeping drive for a dunk he had yesterday), and when he did he often was able to make something positive happen. But, those seemed way too infrequent for a guy with his athleticism.

I thought that last year, Bruce was significantly more effective at attacking the rim, and I expected (incorrectly) that Lonnie would be able to do the same but with even more ability. I didn't watch a ton of Lonnie's high school film, so my expectations were based largely around a few highlights I watched and the hype on this board and in other places, so maybe I was misinformed or uninformed. Ultimately, I thought that the highest rated player in program history, a guy many thought would be a program changer, would be able to help take us to a new level. Bruce's injury obviously made that more challenging, but I still hoped that Lonnie would be able to carry us further in the tournament, even after being a bit disappointed in the regular season (based on my expectations, however unfairly inflated they might have been). I obviously hope that Lonnie stays in the league, continues to improve, and is a great representative for the Canes in the NBA for many years. But, I would be lying if I didn't say that based on my hopes/expectations, Lonnie didn't perform, and help the team reach, the levels I thought he/the team would.

I think you make great points and this is right on.

Lonnie and Brown will be better professionals because the court is open more due to better shooting teammates. Canes bigs wasn’t scores and they were not good pick and roll mid range shooters. Actually Canes will play better next year, and their bigs will be dominant

Maybe I'm watching the wrong team or something. I just don't get the notion that IV is a top 20 pick. Is that where the NBA is these days that he is a 1st rounder? He won't get off the bench next year and based on what I saw he may never log meaningful minutes in the NBA. Don't get me wrong I'm glad we have him and I want him back to see how he develops but a 1st rounder makes more of a consistent and impactful contribution than this. I just don't see it.

What does that even mean? What country is going to send elite athletes to the Uranium mines? Most nations/states would actually stick him on their olympic basketball team.

Its been done. Not always uranium mines, but salt mines, spice mines, etc. Max Scmelling was put into a "suicide airborne platoon" in WWII. Not exactly a mine, but an equivalent for epic failure.

BTW, I was not serious about sending Walker to the mines. ;)

Advertisement
Back