Lonnie Walker and Bruce Brown

Bmacthe1

Redshirt Junior
Yes I know that Lonnie messed up bad at the end of the game. But he would be a huge role for next season. Is there any chance him and Bruce come back. Would be clutch to get them back for 1 more year.

Advertisement
My many criticisms of Lonnie today aside, I'd be happy to have both he and Bruce back. That said the chances of either returning are slim and none.

As a fan of both Miami and Lonnie...

I just don’t see how it makes any sense to come back

He’s guaranteed multiple millions right now

If he comes back next year and plays slightly better he’d actually slide further down and lose money

His family doesn’t have a ton of dough.

There aren’t a lot of freshman who come back and improve their stock as sophomores.

It’s very rare.

It sucks because he should stay basketball wise.

But financially he really can’t

If I were him I'd go. Tough to turn down that kind of money if your family isn't well off. If he stays, great. Depending on where Bruce is projected there's a chance he comes back since he had such a poor shooting year.

Advertisement
Lol. Webber was worse. They made a good play to get a turnover on Lonnie, and he missed a freethrow. It happens. And wasn't nearly as big of a moment. Webber was in the championship game. Not even close to the same.

Lol ya but the first round of the NCAA tournament for Miami is close to the same level as the finals for Michigan. They made the finals 6 times we made the tourney 10 times. Webbers was worse, but this was almost as bad. First he bobbles the ball out of bounds then missing the game winning free throw shot. I was just making a joke though. Webbers was a legendary **** up that followed him around his whole career. No one will even know Walker player for Miami in a few years.

If Lonnie goes on to have a Chris Webber type NBA career, I'm sure he wouldn't even remember today's game.

Lol ya but the first round of the NCAA tournament for Miami is close to the same level as the finals for Michigan. They made the finals 6 times we made the tourney 10 times. Webbers was worse, but this was almost as bad. First he bobbles the ball out of bounds then missing the game winning free throw shot. I was just making a joke though. Webbers was a legendary **** up that followed him around his whole career. No one will even know Walker player for Miami in a few years.
Lmao yeah realized you were probably joking after I posted.

Advertisement
Webber was a MUCH better player as a Michigan frosh than Lonnie was here. No comparison. Final plays aside.

This is true. Assuming Lonnie is gone, he didn't come close to living up to expectations. With all the hype I was expecting a Trae Young or Colin Sexton type season. Disappointing.
If Lonnie were that type of player and if we had a healthy Bruce Brown we could’ve made a nice run

This is true. Assuming Lonnie is gone, he didn't come close to living up to expectations. With all the hype I was expecting a Trae Young or Colin Sexton type season. Disappointing.
I'm really starting to think this is Coach L's fault. We just might not be built for high caliber players with Coach L. He repeatedly emphasized needing 5 players in double digits. With a player like Lonnie you need to let him do his thing. He's more of a Lebron type where he creates and passes to others (and no, I'm not saying he's nearly as good as Lebron). He shouldn't be standing at the 3, 2+ passes away from the ball while Amp/whoever takes a bad shot. OU and Bama kinda just let Sexton and Young run wild and be the undisputed leaders. Coach L wanted Newton to be the leader.

Advertisement
Lonnie has to go if he's going to be a top 20 pick. Get that guaranteed contract.

Brown has a more difficult decision if he's projected late first/early second.

Both need lots of development.

Brown might impress at the workouts but he was not a very dynamic player this year. I can see LW getting selected on potential but he wasn't dominant either. Both guys could use one more year and we would probably make the final 4 if they came. Vernon Carey mentioned that he wanted to play with other good players Well this team would be good enough for him to be convinced that we could make a run if they came back.

Brown might impress at the workouts but he was not a very dynamic player this year. I can see LW getting selected on potential but he wasn't dominant either. Both guys could use one more year and we would probably make the final 4 if they came. Vernon Carey mentioned that he wanted to play with other good players Well this team would be good enough for him to be convinced that we could make a run if they came back.
Isn't Carey the class of 2019? Meaning he isn't available this recruiting class... He's in the next one. And no way BB and LW stay 2 more years.

Advertisement
I'm really starting to think this is Coach L's fault. We just might not be built for high caliber players with Coach L. He repeatedly emphasized needing 5 players in double digits. With a player like Lonnie you need to let him do his thing. He's more of a Lebron type where he creates and passes to others (and no, I'm not saying he's nearly as good as Lebron). He shouldn't be standing at the 3, 2+ passes away from the ball while Amp/whoever takes a bad shot. OU and Bama kinda just let Sexton and Young run wild and be the undisputed leaders. Coach L wanted Newton to be the leader.

completely agree. which is why he should leave. no sense coming back to play in our putrid offense

completely agree. which is why he should leave. no sense coming back to play in our putrid offense
1. I don't believe for a minute Coach L wanted Newton to be the leader. That's crazy.
2. Lonnie had EVERY opportunity to be the "go to" guy on this team and ... he just was not up to it. I'm disappointed in his season, but he is, after all, a true freshman. He had his moments and highlights but I'm sure we all expected he'd average closer to 20 ppg than 10ppg. He'll have a nice NBA career if he can develop a consistent jumper.

1. I don't believe for a minute Coach L wanted Newton to be the leader. That's crazy.
2. Lonnie had EVERY opportunity to be the "go to" guy on this team and ... he just was not up to it. I'm disappointed in his season, but he is, after all, a true freshman. He had his moments and highlights but I'm sure we all expected he'd average closer to 20 ppg than 10ppg. He'll have a nice NBA career if he can develop a consistent jumper.
Coach LOVED Newton.. It was obvious he wanted him to lead the team. This team underachieved. Just like they did last year and in 2016 when they made it to sweet 16 but had talent to go further and in 2013 same story.

I am disappointed in the loss today. Team overall just didn't defend well enough to go on a big run and made stupid turnovers at critical times. I also think this game was officiated differently than any other game we have played all year. Any contact at all was called as a foul even if the contact was incidental. I think Chris Lykes was fouled trying to get the ball before it was passed to Lonnie and definitely Lonnie was fouled before the ball went off his thigh. But that is what happens in the tourney. There are not enough quality referees to insure that every game gets good referees.

I am a huge Lonnie Walker fan. He has an athleticism around the rim that no one else on the team has and it is not even close. Whether it is the offensive system or what he just didn't drive enough to the rim. And his three point moves are limited to the step back three if he is not wide open. He needs a year or two to let the body develop and work on his game but if the NBA is going to offer him first round money he should definitely take it. I think the NBA is foolish to pay that money to a player who isn't ready for prime time yet.

Bruce Brown is not nearly as athletic as Lonnie but he is a better player because he understands the game better. He sees the deficiencies on the team and improves the team by taking additional responsibilities to cover those up. Bruce limited turnovers by taking control of the ball during a time this year before J'quan Newton learned to value the ball and spread it around. He also saw the weakness rebounding and took more responsibility to make the team better. His shooting percentage went down this year because frequently his teammates gave him the ball late in the clock. I do not think Bruce is a first rounder but again, if the NBA wants to pay you the big bucks I say go for it.

What I really hope doesn't happen to these guys is they get selected first or second round, shipped to the D league or Europe, and never get their NBA shot. I can see that happen to both players if they don't land with teams who truly want to develop them. Think Sheldon McClellan with the Wizards, or Shane Larkin who hasn't really made it in the NBA despite being a first rounder with Atlanta. Rushing to the NBA doesn't always work out in the long run.

Advertisement
Back