Local LB prospect Thompson wants to hear from Miami

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
The recruiting cycle has sped up so much to the point that if a prospect is not receiving offers from their sophomore and junior seasons, they are behind the 8-ball. It happens every year where a player emerges during his senior season, and that is the case with Miami Jackson LB Osband Thompson (6-2, 200), who has arguably been the top linebacker in South Florida over the past few months.

The Jackson Generals did not reach the goals they had set for themselves prior to the season, but for Thompson, the season was a success.

“The season didn’t go how we wanted it because we didn’t reach our goal of states, but I learned a lot. I learned how to be a man from Coach De La (Antonia De La Brown) and I didn’t think it would be this good when I transferred,” said Thompson.

The instinctual linebacker detailed the path to his current school.

“I was only at Carol City for my 11th grade year and Miami Central the two years before that, but I didn’t play football there. My mom wanted me to have a 3.0 GPA.”

Although Thompson is not the biggest player on the field, he makes up for it with smarts and athleticism.

“I’m dedicated and like to be challenged. I’ve got the will to want to do something; I’m not going to give up. Most O-Linemen are big so they can’t use their feet that well so I do a lot of reading. When we watch film, I watch the O-Line and after that first drive I can tell how a player is.”

With his senior highlights making the waves, Thompson’s name is about to blow up. For now, one school has jumped on him earlier than others.

“I’m talking to one school right now, the University of Rutgers. I’m going up there for one of my official visits and I think they’re close to offering.”

“Any school really because I’m not focused on one school. I wanted to make sure everything was right with my school before I was talking to other schools because I understand that that’s an important part of what schools look at and that’s what my mom wanted for me.”

Is Miami a school that he would consider?

“Yes. They are the home team so I always grew up watching them.”

Thompson spoke more about his potential interest in Miami.

“The chances would be very good that I go there. I would have to sit down with my mom and talk about it, but she was watching the game against Virginia Tech and she was talking about how number 3 was always around the ball and if they offered me then I feel like I could do the same thing.”

**Thompson does not know his exact tackle numbers, but he finished the year with 4 interceptions, a fumble recovery for touchdown, 2 forced fumbles, and 10 sacks
**He currently holds a 2.7 GPA

SENIOR HIGHLIGHTS

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/2704713/highlights/85457375

Advertisement
So mom didn't allow him to play football until he got a 3.0 gpa and now he only has a 2.7 hmmm disobeying momma

Advertisement
Advertisement
200 lbs is a bit light. By the time Swasey puts the needed weight on him, he'll be another stiff player on the roster. We need kids of in 215-230 range

200 lbs is a bit light. By the time Swasey puts the needed weight on him, he'll be another stiff player on the roster. We need kids of in 215-230 range

Jermaine grace was more or less this kids size last year wasn't be? Wasn't gabe terry really small too? Besides doesn't Al like guys that have minimal football experience?

Advertisement
where was that lb every one wanted UM to offer last year and hows he doing

Skai Moore? Started a few games for S. Carolina

yeah him

Moore is starting at South Carolina as a true freshman. That was a miss by the staff in my opinion

It's not a miss when Northrup flips on signing day... You should know better homie

Northrup was class of 2012. Moore was 2013.

"Jermaine grace was more or less this kids size last year wasn't be? Wasn't gabe terry really small too? Besides doesn't Al like guys that have minimal football experience."

You mean like Demetrius Jackson? Very minimal experience, anyhow, this guy Thompson actually reminds me of Grace with his frame and play style. Also seems to be a good athlete and contributor on special teams. I wouldn't mind the staff offering I just think we need more MLB's for our 3-4 transition. Thompson looks like an OLB at the next level.

Last edited:
Jermaine grace was more or less this kids size last year wasn't be? Wasn't gabe terry really small too? Besides doesn't Al like guys that have minimal football experience.

You mean like Demetrius Jackson? Very minimal experience, anyhow, this guy Thompson actually reminds me of Grace with his frame and play style. Also seems to be a good athlete and contributor on special teams. I wouldn't mind the staff offering I just think we need more MLB's for our 3-4 transition. Thompson looks like an OLB at the next level.

Thompson has played football his entire life. He was an optimist star as a tight end.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back