Local DT Silvera talks Miami offer (HAS COMMITTED!)

This is exactly what Miami needs, great lineman win championships. Load up on them and we are well on our way, congrats kid we need you at Miami. Gotta keep on getting the top SF talent and we will be back quickly.

Advertisement
Coach speak coming at you based on his highlight film.

Positives:
- good violent initial punch
- good size
- good motor and doesn't seem to quit on a play
- great form tackler
- awareness to use hands

Negatives:
- once engaged tends to stand upright
- his eyes get locked in the backfield sometimes and his feet stop moving
- rarely gets his hands inside
- relies on bullying lesser opponents
- doesn't seem to get off the ball that quickly (this may be a cases of a two gap system, not sure the defensive scheme they run)

Someone had mentioned before, how is this guy a 3-star only, I can see why. He's a good talent with lots of great tools to work with, but he really has to work on that off the line explosiveness, gets caught looking in the backfield often, which I mentioned before could be a system thing.
Keys to look for as a defensive linemen are, 1) explosiveness off the line; 2) hands use; 3) leverage; and 4) explosiveness off the line.

His best fit is the be a true 1Tech/NT who just gobbles up doubles, essentially a fridge magnet. Get his strength up and sitting at 315-325 and he'll make the remainder of the defense look good.

No offense, but how did you come to all these conclusions and not be able to tell what defensive scheme they are running? Just curious.

He looked pretty good at last year's Paradise Camp I believe it was. I'm sure that film is floating around somewhere.

Looks a little raw.
*Doesn't turn his hips while going through the dummies
*Doesn't use any pass rush moves, just bull-rushes

Obviously the aggression, strength and explosion is there though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zAD8TlMilQ

And there's no sugarcoating this next video. He flat-out looks like ****. He lost just about every rep cause he lacks any pass rush moves...doesn't turn his hips, bend, or use his hands. (other than to bull-rush)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXUVRAcnxyY

Kinda surprised too, cause I know the DL coach at Heritage and he's a pretty detailed guy.
No big deal though. He's gonna play for the best DL coach in the country when he gets here. I'm sure it'll get fixed. Worst case scenario, he'll come out during pass-rush situations.

Looks a little raw.

And there's no sugarcoating this next video. He flat-out looks like ****. He lost just about every rep cause he lacks any pass rush moves...doesn't turn his hips, bend, or use his hands. (other than to bull-rush)

Kinda surprised too, cause I know the DL coach at Heritage and he's a pretty detailed guy.
No big deal though. He's gonna play for the best DL coach in the country when he gets here. I'm sure it'll get fixed. Worst case scenario, he'll come out during pass-rush situations.

Macho this film is from last year this time when he just moved over to defense from playing ol all year for ah. so dont think he worked with the dl coach yet.

But all he does for is bullrush for sure. Expect to se eimprovement this year...plus he took on the best of the best there..which i like

Advertisement
Looks a little raw.

Macho this film is from last year this time when he just moved over to defense from playing ol all year for ah. so dont think he worked with the dl coach yet.

But all he does for is bullrush for sure. Expect to se eimprovement this year...plus he took on the best of the best there..which i like

Oh ok. I'm not really concerned about it anyway. I trust Kool for sure. A lot of kids go to college unpolished.

Looks a little raw.

Oh ok. I'm not really concerned about it anyway. I trust Kool for sure. A lot of kids go to college unpolished.

Sounds like his issues are all fixable, and I'd trust Kool to get that done.

giphy.gif

:yaoface:

Advertisement
CMR has broken the gates at American Heritage. Now comes the flood, Pat Surtain JR next.

I beg to differ. Tyson Campbell is much more important and should be the priority for us at AH. Hey if Surtain wants to join the party then he is most welcome to but Campbell is the better prospect IMO.

CMR has broken the gates at American Heritage. Now comes the flood, Pat Surtain JR next.

I beg to differ. Tyson Campbell is much more important and should be the priority for us at AH. Hey if Surtain wants to join the party then he is most welcome to but Campbell is the better prospect IMO.

They are both studs but we definitely have the better chance of getting Campbell. I think he is the best DB prospect out of all the guys we're recruiting and I LOVE Frierson and Hall.

Advertisement

They are both studs but we definitely have the better chance of getting Campbell. I think he is the best DB prospect out of all the guys we're recruiting and I LOVE Frierson and Hall.

You won't get any disagreement from me. I agree with your assessment on Campbell and like yourself I love our main targets/commits like Frierson, Jobe, Blades and Hall. They are all elite IMO which is what makes this class so special. While I agree with you that Surtain is a great prospect, I think Rattler305 is on the money when he says that Pat Jr. is a bit overrated. I don't see the no.1 CB in the nation when I look at Surtain. I see a great player who isn't even the no.1 DB prospect on his own HS team.

In terms of recruiting Surtain I think it's all about opportunity cost and allocation of resources. The point being that when you have commitments from and are in great standing/in the lead with so many other elite kids why waste an unnecessary amount of time on a kid that seems lukewarm. I think this coaching staff's strategy going forward will bear that out. Right now it seems like the staff believes their valuable time is best served targeting another elite CB Assante Samuel Jr(best pure cover CB in the state) who they believe they have a much better chance of eventually landing despite FSU having the lead at the moment. Like I said earlier though if Surtain wants to jump on this train I don't think anyone would turn him away.

Lastly, to state the obvious just look at the list of elite DBs that we could realistically sign in this class......

Jobe
Campbell
Blades
Ivey
Frierson
Hall
Russell

That is completely freaking insane! It's even more insane when you realize that getting all of those studs isn't being looked at as a pie in the sky fantasy. It's being thought of as very much in the realm of possibility and that is mindblowing!

Looks a little raw.

Coach,

I think that Kool was looking at his potential to be a true 1 tech. I don't think Silvera is anywhere near a finished product but possesses the attributes that can't be taught like size, natural strengh, aggressiveness and the ability to consistently take on double teams. I'm sure the skills that you saw were missing are things that A) Kool feels confident he can teach and B) while important may not central to his projected role in the defense.

In other words while you are absolutely correct that Silvera must learn to turn his hips, use his hands and bend, those are things that Kool feels he can effectively teach and develop. What makes Silvera such an attractive prospect is that he is elite when it comes to what cannot be taught.

Advertisement
Exactly^^ "he is elite at what cannot be taught"!! And that is passion and attitude. Look at his side eye response to his opposition on those reps lol! Coach Macho broke him down thoroughly, but when he gets some technique from Kool, it's a caesar wrap!

Every time a kid signs up in this class, all I can think of is Voltron forming from my childhood. This feels very good as long time Canes fans. We deserve this.

FrancisSawyer, I've gotten married, completed school, and started a family. Been Canes blogging for 12 years, and have learned to read more than react (not in a Golden and D'no way of course lol). Guess U can call it Blog Maturation lol

Man, after watching those videos, Owen Carney looks good and has super long arms. But Andrew Chatfield just shot up my must get board of recruits. I thought he was a tweener and considered his workout numbers to be a deterrent, but eff on dat! That dude can ball! Offer him

Advertisement
Back