Linebacker Recruiting

Advertisement
In Manny's D those Safeties are very important... probably more than any CB on the field. Maybe even more than the DTs.
Sure. Idk about more important than the DTs. But in his definitely more important than LBs and CBs. But in general that's my ranking on importance.

We have signed 1 Four Star Linebacker since the 2017 Class. 5 years worth of three stars. 2017 was Manny's first real recruiting class as DC and it hasn't gotten better with Baker.

The scheme is awful but the issues don't end there. We have **** linebacker play because we recruit average linebackers and they get coached by two guys who have never played Linebacker. *Baker did play linebacker in college, 3 year starter at Stephen Austin University Aka Linebacker U

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.
U forget we also keep recruiting guys who play with their hands down and try to get them to play in space

Advertisement
Hyppolite was a big miss. We simply aren't athletic enough when you have 53 and 44 in the game together and we got burned again and again because of that.

Flagg isn't athletic enough either but he has good instincts that should only improve as he gains experience so he won't be a liability out there. Whether its Brooks getting healthy or Cave taking a big step forward, we desperately need someone out there that can go sideline to sideline and make plays.
We were yelling and screaming on here about Hypo but they said Flagg was better so there goes that.

So by your rationale, can a recruit make the staff recruit them?....i will wait(jeopardy music)....your response is comical. So what u saying is the staff can make them sign with us? Ok then we should have the#1 class every year by your thinking....WOW
It's the staffs job to find talented kids who are receptive to playing here, and recruit them, and win our share. No excuses. If you can't do that, move on to a different job.

Keyshawn Greene is gonna try to play db at FAU apparently.

Hyppolit would be our fastest lb right now.
I dont think the current group MANNY included know how to evaluate lb talent for what they want to do. Then we get to development and the scheme....There scheme isnt really good to LBS honestly. Its a scheme geared toward the Safety and DL.
Agree with u here still even if we sign talented linebackers and they struggle the nfl scouts will see the talent. We need the Hyppos and Lewis to come here. I don't get wtf we are doing at this position. It's crazy respected posters evaluate better then the head coach. That's bad

Advertisement
This thread is about linebackers, but how has our linebacker recruiting been any different than the rest of the defense? I see the same problem everywhere. The only difference is that we had transfers at DL and DB to mask the lack of high school recruiting. Bad evaluations and bad salesmanship have caused the decline of our defense. It looked pretty good with Golden’s recruits.
Facts

It's the staffs job to find talented kids who are receptive to playing here, and recruit them, and win our share. No excuses. If you can't do that, move on to a different job.

Ok, im looking at from your point of view! As far as the coaches is concerned i agree if u can't recruit/ convince kids to come here then u gotta go(rumph). But that 1% in my head still says kids/parents/ handlers still get the last decision if they come here or not.

Ok, im looking at from your point of view! As far as the coaches is concerned i agree if u can't recruit/ convince kids to come here then u gotta go(rumph). But that 1% in my head still says kids/parents/ handlers still get the last decision if they come here or not.
Of course a kid gets the last decision. That's why you can't judge a coach by what a single kid does.

However, that's a red herring in this discussion. A coach's job isn't to get a specific kid. It's to get enough talented kids that we achieve our goals. If they miss on one kid, they should have other options. If they don't, that's on them. If they miss on all kids, then the data is telling you something.

We have signed 1 Four Star Linebacker since the 2017 Class. 5 years worth of three stars. 2017 was Manny's first real recruiting class as DC and it hasn't gotten better with Baker.

The scheme is awful but the issues don't end there. We have **** linebacker play because we recruit average linebackers and they get coached by two guys who have never played Linebacker. *Baker did play linebacker in college, 3 year starter at Stephen Austin University Aka Linebacker U

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.
Is Mike Barrow available to coach? Asking for a friend 🤣

Advertisement
I think speed and the ability to get sideline to sideline is way overblown by this board. I don't think it is all that important in our defense, relatively speaking (meaning, of couse you want guys that can do it, but there are more important traits, IMO).

1. We play the striker basically all the time. It's not like our LBs are constantly getting exposed by bad matchups in the passing game. Our CBs and safetys get abused just as bad, if not worse.
2. Our DEs get wide and upfield. We don't give up the edge a whole lot.
3. My main gripe is giving up size/strength for speed. Again, ideally you get guys with both. But everyone calling for speed, speed, speed must not see our LBs getting washed out regularly. Our guys can't shed blocks. Our guys get bulldozed and can't tackle. Speed isn't gonna help there.

For the most part, our LBs play in the middle of the field. What trait do I want to see? Intelligence. That's why Shaq was successful in this same scheme, despite some physical (speed) limitations. That's why Skalski is so important at Clemson, despite physical limitations. We need a QB of the defense that can get guys lined up in the proper positions, make the right reads and calls, etc.

That's why everyone, myself included, loves Flagg. But posters constantly qualify that with "but he isn't athletic enough" or comments like that. I guarantee that if we had 4 Flaggs (2 to start, and 2 to back them up), LB wouldn't be half the issue it is now, despite not having speed or athleticism.
Well stated mate!!! I too believe Flagg can become the field general we need to bring the LB back to some resemblance of respectability.

I starting posting on CIS because it wasn't Canesport. CIS is now Canesport.
Then go back to Canesport. This is a very relevant thread and you're constant *****ing in every thread ever made is annoying. There are a few of you who think you're the anti-mope squad or something but you're way worse than who you consider mopes. In case you didn't know, you are in fact a mope as well (and the worst kind).

There's an article on CaneSport today about Devin Smith. Yesterday they had one about Travious Lathan. We can see this as reflecting the dreaded pivot to Plan B, or a responsible widening of the board post-Tolan.
For my part, I'm holding out hope for Bissainthe and Jackson.

Advertisement
There's an article on CaneSport today about Devin Smith. Yesterday they had one about Travious Lathan. We can see this as reflecting the dreaded pivot to Plan B, or a responsible widening of the board post-Tolan.
Lathan was asking for more attention from the staff. He hasn't heard from them much. Smith might fall in the category of the LBs who visited paradise and worked out. Just gotta see these guys up close and see if they're viable backup options.

Lathan was asking for more attention from the staff. He hasn't heard from them much. Smith might fall in the category of the LBs who visited paradise and worked out. Just gotta see these guys up close and see if they're viable backup options.

Yeah, don’t even see these kids as plan B options just yet. Realistically, we might only end up with one (WB) and we may even strike out with him. I know people are bullish about DJax but I’m not seeing it.

Problem is Bissainthe & Jackson are both WILL backers and we need a MLB

Advertisement
Back