Linebacker Recruiting

Zanecane

7th Floor Crew
We have signed 1 Four Star Linebacker since the 2017 Class. 5 years worth of three stars. 2017 was Manny's first real recruiting class as DC and it hasn't gotten better with Baker.

The scheme is awful but the issues don't end there. We have **** linebacker play because we recruit average linebackers and they get coached by two guys who have never played Linebacker. *Baker did play linebacker in college, 3 year starter at Stephen Austin University Aka Linebacker U

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We have signed 1 Four Star Linebacker since the 2017 Class. 5 years worth of three stars. 2017 was Manny's first real recruiting class as DC and it hasn't gotten better with Baker.

The scheme is awful but the issues don't end there. We have **** linebacker play because we recruit average linebackers and they get coached by two guys who have never played Linebacker.

We recruited very good linebackers but haven't SIGNED them S at the end of the day they can't be FORCED to commit anywhere. Why do some of you guys here act like we can literally MAKE kids sign with us?

Advertisement
Linebackers are often regarded as the most important position in defense, due to their versatility in providing hard hits on running plays or an additional layer of pass defense, when required. BLAKE BAKER COACHING LINEBACKERS IS QUESTIONABLE? We need improvement at that position / a proven “Coach” at that very important position.

Attachments

• C1CF2800-8FAB-4B0E-8970-E58B6AA268FC.jpeg
    C1CF2800-8FAB-4B0E-8970-E58B6AA268FC.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Advertisement
add in Hyppolite and Maryland has astronomically better talent at LB than Miami.

Hyppolite was a big miss. We simply aren't athletic enough when you have 53 and 44 in the game together and we got burned again and again because of that.

Flagg isn't athletic enough either but he has good instincts that should only improve as he gains experience so he won't be a liability out there. Whether its Brooks getting healthy or Cave taking a big step forward, we desperately need someone out there that can go sideline to sideline and make plays.

The scheme is awful but the issues don't end there. We have **** linebacker play because we recruit average linebackers and they get coached by two guys who have never played Linebacker.

Well unfortunately he did play linebacker in college, 3 year starter at Stephen Austin University, I don’t know where that is at actually, but I agree with you totally. I don’t think Baker or Patke is qualified to teach that linebacker position. We talk about experience on this board all the time and our linebacker play and recruiting speaks for itself. I think the kids we are recruiting see the zero development and say he’ll nah, ain’t playing there. I agree with you, NC players laughed about our high school scheme defense against them and said they kept running because we didn’t adjust.
We should have and need to hire someone with more coaching experience. Diaz gonna be just like Golden with D onofrio, gonna let his buddies take him down. Rumph was a Richt hire and Banda left on his own so did Stroud. So in reality Manny didn’t fire not one of his buddies. Just my opinion I don’t know much.
Why keep a defensive Coordinator when you don’t trust him to call the plays, oh well what do I know.

Hyppolite was a big miss. We simply aren't athletic enough when you have 53 and 44 in the game together and we got burned again and again because of that.

Flagg isn't athletic enough either but he has good instincts that should only improve as he gains experience so he won't be a liability out there. Whether its Brooks getting healthy or Cave taking a big step forward, we desperately need someone out there that can go sideline to sideline and make plays.

did he get any snaps for Maryland this year? I don’t keep up with kids who don’t pick miami

Advertisement
No NFL-aspiring LB in their right mind would come to play for Blake Baker and Jonathan Patke. Thank god baby Johnson and Troutman are not in their right mind (I say that in a good way, they're angry young men). But I just don't see how we get there with those two coaches. Ask yourself how they stack up vs. the Bama, Clemson, OSU linebacker (and special teams) coaches?

Manny had all the ingredients in place to bake the perfect wedding cake, then threw a cup of salt on it with the Baker decision. Sooooooooooooo disappointed.

Yeah, I keep hearing how he's overrated, but ****! If he's willing and the NCAA finally approves the expansion of slots, I say bring him in. Let's at least start with talent/speed at LB and then see where it goes from there.

Also, I am a fan of Flagg. With another year of College level PT, he'll be plenty fast enough to play Mike LB. We need his instincts and intelligence on the field. Kid has 5 star instincts and a low 2 star body. The combo should net us a solid, heady leader at linebacker.

Advertisement
Why the **** would Terrence Lewis not sign up to play immediately here and go to Maryland instead smh.
Hopefully we get some better luck

We recruited very good linebackers but haven't SIGNED them S at the end of the day they can't be FORCED to commit anywhere. Why do some of you guys here act like we can literally MAKE kids sign with us?

Such a weird response I'm not even sure what to say but ill try.

Recruiting is CONVINCING a kid you are going to make him better and ultimately help him get to the NFL. If you can't do that then you cant coach and succeed in college football.

You need good players to be good. To get good players you need to show them you are good at what you do and they will be put into position to succeed. Our leading tackler at linebacker had 39 tackles for the entire season. Mike Singletary once had 35 tackles in one game at Baylor.

See the issue?

Signing Keyshawn Greene and Hyppolite last year would have solved a lot of athleticism issues.

Hopefully the NCAA changes the ICs rules so we can go poach a developed LB or 2 from a program that knows what it is doing in recruiting/developing LBs

Advertisement
Back