Linebacker Recruiting

Advertisement
Signing Keyshawn Greene and Hyppolite last year would have solved a lot of athleticism issues.

Hopefully the NCAA changes the ICs rules so we can go poach a developed LB or 2 from a program that knows what it is doing in recruiting/developing LBs
Keyshawn Greene is gonna try to play db at FAU apparently.

Hyppolit would be our fastest lb right now.
I dont think the current group MANNY included know how to evaluate lb talent for what they want to do. Then we get to development and the scheme....There scheme isnt really good to LBS honestly. Its a scheme geared toward the Safety and DL.

Don't give them facts. Certain people see the word linebacker next to a recruit and automatically think he's a fit like this is a video game

Our coaches have tried to do the exact same thing multiple times. McCloud, Joyner, Brooks to name a few. Those are facts.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Our coaches hard tried to do the exact same thing multiple times. McCloud, Joyner, Brooks to name a few. Those are facts.
McCloud had the athleticism but lacks any awareness or instincts. Joyner had good reviews but zero playing time so I’m not sure what happened there and brooks is still tbd. I’m not defending their recruiting or coaching choices but Jennings would’ve transferred after year 1. Horrendous fit.

Advertisement
I think speed and the ability to get sideline to sideline is way overblown by this board. I don't think it is all that important in our defense, relatively speaking (meaning, of couse you want guys that can do it, but there are more important traits, IMO).

1. We play the striker basically all the time. It's not like our LBs are constantly getting exposed by bad matchups in the passing game. Our CBs and safetys get abused just as bad, if not worse.
2. Our DEs get wide and upfield. We don't give up the edge a whole lot.
3. My main gripe is giving up size/strength for speed. Again, ideally you get guys with both. But everyone calling for speed, speed, speed must not see our LBs getting washed out regularly. Our guys can't shed blocks. Our guys get bulldozed and can't tackle. Speed isn't gonna help there.

For the most part, our LBs play in the middle of the field. What trait do I want to see? Intelligence. That's why Shaq was successful in this same scheme, despite some physical (speed) limitations. That's why Skalski is so important at Clemson, despite physical limitations. We need a QB of the defense that can get guys lined up in the proper positions, make the right reads and calls, etc.

That's why everyone, myself included, loves Flagg. But posters constantly qualify that with "but he isn't athletic enough" or comments like that. I guarantee that if we had 4 Flaggs (2 to start, and 2 to back them up), LB wouldn't be half the issue it is now, despite not having speed or athleticism.

This thread is about linebackers, but how has our linebacker recruiting been any different than the rest of the defense? I see the same problem everywhere. The only difference is that we had transfers at DL and DB to mask the lack of high school recruiting. Bad evaluations and bad salesmanship have caused the decline of our defense. It looked pretty good with Golden’s recruits.

Such a weird response I'm not even sure what to say but ill try.

Recruiting is CONVINCING a kid you are going to make him better and ultimately help him get to the NFL. If you can't do that then you cant coach and succeed in college football.

You need good players to be good. To get good players you need to show them you are good at what you do and they will be put into position to succeed. Our leading tackler at linebacker had 39 tackles for the entire season. Mike Singletary once had 35 tackles in one game at Baylor.

See the issue?
That all sounds good! But, after all your CONVINCING! its still up to the kid and fam/ handlers about where he is going to school!...no matter how you word it, spin it, dissect it, or how much you hate baker or patke or manny at the end of the day its out of the staffs hand!...how can you stay arguing about something out of the staffs CONTROL??

This thread is about linebackers, but how has our linebacker recruiting been any different than the rest of the defense? I see the same problem everywhere. The only difference is that we had transfers at DL and DB to mask the lack of high school recruiting. Bad evaluations and bad salesmanship have caused the decline of our defense. It looked pretty good with Golden’s recruits.
**** never thought of that, the only decent LB we had Shaq and Pink were Golden recruits, that is a scary thought. I think Corner back recruiting will improve wit t rob, after that coaching change it really is no different, maybe DVD will be good, Simpson here before, ok. But **** Baker and Patke for LB, SMH

Advertisement
Keyshawn Greene is gonna try to play db at FAU apparently.

Hyppolit would be our fastest lb right now.
I dont think the current group MANNY included know how to evaluate lb talent for what they want to do. Then we get to development and the scheme....There scheme isnt really good to LBS honestly. Its a scheme geared toward the Safety and DL.
Not sure about that, huff and brooks might have something to say about that!!

Its not a question of their athleticism or ability.

Its the defensive system their forced to play in and how they're coached by the coaches.

Linebackers are often regarded as the most important position in defense, due to their versatility in providing hard hits on running plays or an additional layer of pass defense, when required. BLAKE BAKER COACHING LINEBACKERS IS QUESTIONABLE? We need improvement at that position / a proven “Coach” at that very important position.
EDGE > DT/CB > S/LB in order of importance for me.

Advertisement
That all sounds good! But, after all your CONVINCING! its still up to the kid and fam/ handlers about where he is going to school!...no matter how you word it, spin it, dissect it, or how much you hate baker or patke or manny at the end of the day its out of the staffs hand!...how can you stay arguing about something out of the staffs CONTROL??
Thats literally the job. You recruit good players to come to Miami. The idea that its out of their control is ridiculous.

Thats literally the job. You recruit good players to come to Miami. The idea that its out of their control is ridiculous.
So by your rationale, can a recruit make the staff recruit them?....i will wait(jeopardy music)....your response is comical. So what u saying is the staff can make them sign with us? Ok then we should have the#1 class every year by your thinking....WOW

**** never thought of that, the only decent LB we had Shaq and Pink were Golden recruits, that is a scary thought. I think Corner back recruiting will improve wit t rob, after that coaching change it really is no different, maybe DVD will be good, Simpson here before, ok. But **** Baker and Patke for LB, SMH
McIntosh, Norton, Elder, Redwine, Johnson, Jackson were all golden recruits. They suddenly looked much better when Diaz took over. I don’t see the talent to replace them now that they are gone. We got lucky that covid kept kids home this year. We need to do better going forward.

Advertisement
Back