LifeWallet

Advertisement
Mandell is and will always be a first rate douche bag. You make an accusation like that on an open forum you better be prepared to be sued. If I'm Ruiz, I go after this ******* legally. Ruiz just met with the PM of the Bahamas pushing his product. The guy is marketing his product. I met Stewie did not say a word about A&M.
All I know is Mandel’s profile picture makes him look like a world class creep or a televangelist or both.

Don't know if it's been said already, but it's problematic for Ruiz stating that Wong is "under contract" because he would have to pay him even if IW leaves Miami.

NIL is fine as long as it's not "pay for play," which is a big no no (even if everyone knows that's what's happening). If Ruiz pulls Wong's deal if he transfers, that would subject the school to NCAA scrutiny.

Which has been my problem with Ruiz all along. Just stay silent and work your magic behind the scenes; no one knows any of the A&M boosters who bought their last recruiting class individually.
While I don’t disagree with your overall sentiment here, Wong is looking to renegotiate the terms of his contract, no? Ruiz is stating he won’t renegotiate. How do you know the terms of the agreement RE: having to pay him even if he left?

Edit: just caught up with the thread. Looks like everyone else covered the terms of the contract topic.

Funny that many don’t think this is already happening now. I am sure everyone is hitting the portal for non monetary reasons. Wong was just first to say it aloud.
Also just realized Ruiz whether on purpose or not actually did the right thing addressing it publicly. If he renegotiated after Wong said pay me to stay that then becomes pay for play directly. Ruiz publicly saying no was good to show whoever investigates this stuff these days that no pay for play was going on. I hope Ruiz learned from posting amounts moving forward. May have wanted another layer of transparency but it can back fire.

Ruiz is becoming a problem. Dude just need to stfu
Disagree here. Although it sucks to see Wong leave, there are plenty of better players noticing a spot just opened up. There is no such thing as bad publicity.

Players and schools are taking notice of what Ruiz is doing and I'm sure he is getting calls from players wanting to ditch their current school and go to Miami.

Advertisement
Also just realized Ruiz whether on purpose or not actually did the right thing addressing it publicly. If he renegotiated after Wong said pay me to stay that then becomes pay for play directly. Ruiz publicly saying no was good to show whoever investigates this stuff these days that no pay for play was going on. I hope Ruiz learned from posting amounts moving forward. May have wanted another layer of transparency but it can back fire.

Agree on most of your post. But not the last part. The kids all know what other kids are making. I mean, there are slimy agents involved who rep other kids to start. Secrets are hard to keep, and kids def run their mouths. So the whole premise of keeping it quiet to avoid jealousy carries no water with me.

Ruiz is publicizing, when permitted by all parties, as an ADVERTISEMENT for our programs, and his companies (who are PAYING for this publicity). You don't think that kids at other programs and recruits are talking about how you can get paid at Miami? It's a big word of mouth and direct marketing campaign. I guarantee you that kids are reaching out to Miami, that's it now a two way street.

Wong? Who cares? As we've seen, he can be easily replaced by another portal kid. I really don't have a clue why his agent thought this was a good idea. The agent made signing this kid toxic, IMO. So if Wong is the collateral damage for getting the word out to thousands of top athletes that Miami is an amazing place to grow your brand, achieve some financial security, and succeed as a student-athlete, so be it. Ruiz is following the laws. He and Miami are doing nothing wrong. The whole "cheating" and "NCAA" and "getting caught" language I keep seeing is completely inapplicable to the situation. We can do a photo shoot with a kid swimming in 100's. It doesn't matter. Oh wait, they are going to hate us? Tweet mean things about us? Boo hoo. They already hate us. Let them obsess while we win.

Agree on most of your post. But not the last part. The kids all know what other kids are making. I mean, there are slimy agents involved who rep other kids to start. Secrets are hard to keep, and kids def run their mouths. So the whole premise of keeping it quiet to avoid jealousy carries no water with me.

Ruiz is publicizing, when permitted by all parties, as an ADVERTISEMENT for our programs, and his companies (who are PAYING for this publicity). You don't think that kids at other programs and recruits are talking about how you can get paid at Miami? It's a big word of mouth and direct marketing campaign. I guarantee you that kids are reaching out to Miami, that's it now a two way street.

Wong? Who cares? As we've seen, he can be easily replaced by another portal kid. I really don't have a clue why his agent thought this was a good idea. The agent made signing this kid toxic, IMO. So if Wong is the collateral damage for getting the word out to thousands of top athletes that Miami is an amazing place to grow your brand, achieve some financial security, and succeed as a student-athlete, so be it. Ruiz is following the laws. He and Miami are doing nothing wrong. The whole "cheating" and "NCAA" and "getting caught" language I keep seeing is completely inapplicable to the situation. We can do a photo shoot with a kid swimming in 100's. It doesn't matter. Oh wait, they are going to hate us? Tweet mean things about us? Boo hoo. They already hate us. Let them obsess while we win.
I get that but the face of UM Basketball is Jim Larranaga. I recognize the tweets Ruiz put out are related to the NIL in which he is involved but he made a point to also basically say if you wanna go... GO. Plenty of kinds want to come to the U. High level coaches want to total control on their operation. I don't he ever makes comments like that about anything football related. I love the money he is bringing to the program. Love the players who are in turn coming but you can't be bigger than the program. Him being an alum complicates things and I get he is passionate about the school. Every other school whether following the rules are not have their boosters and contributors operating behind the scenes. I also get that he is promoting the life wallet brand. Using NIL to do it. But he also is promoting himself as well. These tweets and statements aren't coming from the official Life Wallet twitter account. There coming from his personal account. Life wallet isn't doing 60 minutes he is. So I hope he can continue to support the program. Continue to bring exciting to the program without being bigger than the program if that makes any sense.

PUFF needs to chill!
Music Video Money GIF

Advertisement
I get that but the face of UM Basketball is Jim Larranaga. I recognize the tweets Ruiz put out are related to the NIL in which he is involved but he made a point to also basically say if you wanna go... GO. Plenty of kinds want to come to the U. High level coaches want to total control on their operation. I don't he ever makes comments like that about anything football related. I love the money he is bringing to the program. Love the players who are in turn coming but you can't be bigger than the program. Him being an alum complicates things and I get he is passionate about the school. Every other school whether following the rules are not have their boosters and contributors operating behind the scenes. I also get that he is promoting the life wallet brand. Using NIL to do it. But he also is promoting himself as well. These tweets and statements aren't coming from the official Life Wallet twitter account. There coming from his personal account. Life wallet isn't doing 60 minutes he is. So I hope he can continue to support the program. Continue to bring exciting to the program without being bigger than the program if that makes any sense.

None of it bothers me. It's a means to an end. I'm grateful. And while he may be big on twitter, or get the occasional article written about him (that will die down), IRL, on game day, it's about the team, staff and kids. A little shine for Ruiz doesn't compare IMO. It's just offseason fodder for sports junkies.

He's the miracle we need right now. I don't care if he paints his balls orange and green and runs through the Rat screaming "the U is mine! All mine!" Doesn't really mean much. In fact, he's a massive Cane fan who is making magic happen. I hope he IS enjoying himself. He deserves it.

Disagree here. Although it sucks to see Wong leave, there are plenty of better players noticing a spot just opened up. There is no such thing as bad publicity.

Players and schools are taking notice of what Ruiz is doing and I'm sure he is getting calls from players wanting to ditch their current school and go to Miami.

The articles I read never said Wong specifically said LifeWallet must increase, only that his NIL deals need to increase, but I may have missed it. Can't blame him really after that news, he was a major player for us and we are bringing in outsiders at much bigger $$$. Of course he was 100% pointing the finger at Ruiz if he didn't say specifically LW, but when Ruiz was interviewed by whoever the fak that was that quoted him, he could have been more of a politician about it. "We're working on many deals and exciting things for many different players including Wong. We currently have Wong under NIL and love what he brings to our organization and the University of Miami. We are hopeful that things work out and he stays at UM." -Warmest Regards, JR.

Just saying there is a balance that can be had in this game, it's about playing the system, not swinging your **** when it's not necessary IMO. Just my opinion, 100% love what Ruiz and his family are doing, not just throwing shade or being unappreciative, but he's not immune from some criticism in what happened with this specific situation.

I don't care about what the writers think. the one thing the other boosters do thats smart is they don't sit there and disclose the payment terms to the world.
So why do you care how much gets disclosed? That is probably a not to exceed value of the contract assuming the player meets every obligation. Happens all the time in business. You either set the market rate or react to it. Good on Ruiz for being a leader on NIL.

I do half billion and higher deals for industry partners. If you are not aggressive and leading rather than reacting, then I am not your guy.

My personal preference as long as what Ruiz is doing is legal which I assume it is is let it rip big guy.

Advertisement

At the root of the situation is an incompetent agent. If Wong wanted more money ... it is the AGENTS responsibility to seek ADDITIONAL SPONSORS ... not go back to the initial sponsor, with a mutually agreed upon contract, and ask him to bump it up.

Disagree. The guy is marketing his product successfully. You had no clue what it was but now you do. He is getting national attention. Good for him and our kids are benefitting.
that is really NIL in its purest form. paying a kid to market your product or service.

these foundations that essentially don't have a product or service and are solely organized in order to raise money to pay players are much worse.

Ruiz said in his interview with Jackson that part of the deals are a commitment that the players go to the house/office weekly to do promotional activities. If Wong transfers to a different state, I am pretty sure he won't be able to do those required activities to hold up his end of the contract. I think @1murhurricane alluded to this, but these deals have terms in place that require you to be in a geographic area without tying it to their enrollment.
What happens if Wong stays in the local area with no association whatsoever with UM. Assume the Life Wallet $$ would still be paid to him for the life of the "contract." There's a load of scenarios that I'd guess Ruiz, being a lawyer, has thought out. For his sake, I hope so.

Somehow, I have a nagging feeling that this could all end up being another Corben documentary in a few years. Hope not but ...

Advertisement
Elaborate. No troll. Trying to make sure I understand your point.
Read the tweet and caption. I took it as Wong got mad when Ruiz publicly announced NIL for the KSU player (which is more) as if Ruiz announcing anything would have prevented Wong finding out. People here are even blaming Ruiz for this. Wong was always going to find out and pull this strategy, which isn’t going to work.

What happens if Wong stays in the local area with no association whatsoever with UM. Assume the Life Wallet $$ would still be paid to him for the life of the "contract." There's a load of scenarios that I'd guess Ruiz, being a lawyer, has thought out. For his sake, I hope so.

Somehow, I have a nagging feeling that this could all end up being another Corben documentary in a few years. Hope not but ...
Seems like in that case, he should have kept things private and continued playing for Miami.

Maybe, maybe not. You're suffering from PNSD (Post Nevin Shapiro Disorder). Maybe his SPAC doesn't close in this climate but that is very different than running a ponzi scheme and committing mass fraud. He still clearly has a lot of money based off of the amount he has sold, the value of his decision against FPL, etc. Regardless, 1) he is not affiliated with the school, 2) there is nothing illegal about paying these guys any more, and 3) by all accounts there are multiple others more silently giving out NIL deals. Enjoy the ride, stop waiting for **** to go sideways, especially when it is out of your control.

Read the tweet and caption. I took it as Wong got mad when Ruiz publicly announced NIL for the KSU player (which is more) as if Ruiz announcing anything would have prevented Wong finding out. People here are even blaming Ruiz for this. Wong was always going to find out and pull this strategy, which isn’t going to work.
Ah... OK gotcha.

Advertisement
Back