Let's talk defense vs FSU

Advertisement
I said during the first half against FSU / Clemson you must keep him in the pocket and squeeze him towards his left. Make him throw across his body as much as possible. He’s still not polished in that part of his game. If you let him extend the play rolling right it’s lights out. Guys will get open with the extra time or he’ll break your back with scrambles. If he keeps extending drives on third downs we’ll burn out fast. It’ll be a beat down like last year

Send Bain, LT, and JW to midfield for the coin toss and have Bain say to FSU, "we're not scared of you *******". And then have JW and LT say, "we the boss". Ball game.

See UNC laying 41 on this defense and imagine them having a solid OL and us not being able to move the ball on offense to keep them off the field and that is what you'll see Saturday

A splattering. Anyone thinking anything else happens is delusional unless 2021 or week 1-4 of this year's version of TVD shows up. If not, the defense will be gassed and quit.

This is it right here.

They’ll be able to hold for a while, but the lack of offense and depth on the DL will be the undoing.

Scheme wise, it’ll be really sound.

Advertisement
See UNC laying 41 on this defense and imagine them having a solid OL and us not being able to move the ball on offense to keep them off the field and that is what you'll see Saturday

A splattering. Anyone thinking anything else happens is delusional unless 2021 or week 1-4 of this year's version of TVD shows up. If not, the defense will be gassed and quit.
Breh, you're gonna be right, but can we just have this week to think of other outcomes? Can we deal with this on Saturday?

Yup. These guys have scored almost 80 points the past 2 years. They will score a bunch of points and like you guys said, we'll hang in there on defense but the dam will break eventually after our offense goes 3 and outs a bunch and gives them short fields. This will be a drubbing unless travis gets injured or TVD turns in a 2021 performance.

Breh, you're gonna be right, but can we just have this week to think of other outcomes? Can we deal with this on Saturday?
Of course.

I meant to say that Bain is going to have 7 sacks and then we get to watch Norvell hug him on the 50 like he did at his OV. Guidry is going to play safety himself after the half and grab a couple picks and take one to the house.

Couch is gonna Moss Keon Coleman for an int and on the return Cyrus Moss is going to deliver a blind side block and end Coleman’s career while taking Travis out with him on his way to the ground.

49-0 Canes.

Advertisement
Of course.

I meant to say that Bain is going to have 7 sacks and then we get to watch Norvell hug him on the 50 like he did at his OV. Guidry is going to play safety himself after the half and grab a couple picks and take one to the house.

Couch is gonna Moss Keon Coleman for an int and on the return Cyrus Moss is going to deliver a blind side block and end Coleman’s career while taking Travis out with him on his way to the ground.

49-0 Canes.
🙏
🍆

They both have to be disciplined, but if FSU is smart, they'll have 1 on 1 matchups that'll keep me on the edge of my seat either way. Maybe one of the Browns surprises us. Who knows.
I hate to say this but I’m gonna be cheering like a madman when the game starts but let’s just say I haven’t cancelled plans outside the house at halftime

Advertisement
I believe in guidry to come up with a good gameplan and adjust if needed but the reality is we haven’t played any real tests besides a couple..

Id say UNC was a real test and they ran for 200 plus in us. Maye is obviously light years better than travis but imo norvell>lindsey, and fsu weapons>unc weapons..But they dont use tempo like unc so maybe we more ready there

Hopefully porter can play and the staff trusts davonte some because jaden vs their wrs will be the main matchup they look for imo.

They aren’t an efficient offense but when they’re on they can run it up. Hopefully while we get stops dawson has at least an opening game script to punch them early and give the defense something to believe in

Advertisement
Board is drowning in QB/offense talk. What does Guidry & Co. have to do to keep this game close?
Have some sort of general keep contain plan on Travis plus a spy. Then unleash the type of non stop blitzing assault on Travis that it completely takes them out of their rhythm and disrupts their plays. Change up the pre and post snap picture constantly and keep an insane amount of pressure on. Bring the pressure from different spots using different looks. Incorporate the Bear Fronts used vs Clemple. Use the double A Gap Blitz. Be hyper aggressive with your blitzes but use them to drive Travis where you want him to go. Preferably to where there is help or where you are rolling the coverage. Guidry needs to use every single bit of experience he has and everything he has in his playbook to blow up the FSU offense. A win will be beyond priceless for this program. Work your defense up into a psychotic lather and keep it up for 4 quarters. Be absolutely relentless and show zero mercy. Keep punching them in the mouth and have your guys play like they have to have this game and everything is riding on it. Tell the Defense that the intensity level vs Clemple was a 6 and that they need to turn it up to an 11!

Hope like crazy that your defensive energy and intensity somehow inspires the offense.

Board is drowning in QB/offense talk. What does Guidry & Co. have to do to keep this game close?
Early it will be close 10-15 minutes till total D exhaustion sets in , they’ll come off the field long enough to get a water squirt and turn around and go back in after 3 handoffs figure 75 seconds hopefully a TV timeout can help our D.

FSU will be everything to make TVD think.

Our D will put up a galant fight knowing no reinforcements or O support is coming.

GOCANES

The keys to a strong defensive performance-

1- run the ball well on offense. Shorten the game so the play count stays low. This allows us to rotate less and play our best defenders. There is a big drop off when we rotate.

2- play a clean game. We can’t have a bunch of penalties. Specifically PIs and personal fouls. Play smart.

3- dominate at the line of scrimmage. This goes for both sides of the ball. Matching up personnel the only place I see us with the advantage is OL/DL. Exploit our advantage.

4- hit Travis early and often. When you can put a clean hit on him make it count. He has shown that he isn’t the most durable QB throughout the years. That offense takes a massive step back without him on the field.

5- make them work for every yard. We need this to be our best tackling performance. Wrap up. No cheap years or cheap scores.

6- turnovers. FSU doesn’t turn the ball over. We need to find a way to force some fumbles or make some picks. If we lose the turnover battle we likely lose the game.

7- don’t let them run counter on us. This simple play cooked us for 1,000 rushing yards last year. It’s the staple of the Norvell offense. Have an answer. I think this may be a Maigoa/Clough game. That back is big and we need to tackle him clean.

8- regardless of what our O is doing play every play like it matters. Force those three and outs. Win the field position battles.

Advertisement
Back